Popper Coating?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by dryflylarry, Nov 28, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Does it help the long term floating quality to coat popper heads such as the Miyawaki Popper with something like Flex-Coat?

2. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    Ya know Larry, I have tried a couple of things to prevent water logging and I have found that switching flys is better for me. I can't remember exactly which products I tried, but I know one was from Loon, flexcoat may have been another. They build up pretty quick and weigh down the head of the fly. I think paint works well for bigger bass poppers, but the mini popper heads we use for SRC can't support very much build up. That's been my experience anyway. Steve Rorhbach was coating his slider heads with a loon phosphorescent for a while and it worked pretty well. But I found my fly would dive more often than skate, so I stopped experimenting.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I switched to a light synthetic for the tail and tying them a bit more sparsely and it keeps them afloat longer, but like Steve said sooner or later you still end up just swapping them out for a dry one.

4. dryflylarry

Media:
    Thanks guys! Kinda had those thoughts, but never tried it. I too discovered it best to dress them lightly as we'll. I dressed some heavier ones and they were a pain to cast.

5. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    bring a bottle of gink along

6. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Larry,
    I dip my poppers in Herring scent. The oil keeps them afloat while providing a nice, trailing slick.;)
    Jack

7. dryflylarry

Media:
    Now that makes some sense! Oh gees Kelvin, this turned out to be my 4,000 post! Would you like my autograph?!!

8. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

I coat all popper heads with Hard-As-Nails and use either clear or pearl sparkle bottles. I push a toothpick through the hole in the poppers and use the brush in the bottle to apply. The popper heads can be dried by putting the toothpicks in the openings(6) on the side of tying thread spools, foam block, etc.

The Hard-As-Nails seems to be indestructible and is easy to apply(20 seconds or so). I put eyes on many popper/slider patterns and the Hard-As-Nails keeps the eyes from coming off. In many years of use, eyes have never come off.

Roger

Chris Johnson likes this.
  9. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I HAVE IT ALREADY BUT I WILL TAKE ANOTHER

10. Preston

Preston Active Member

Popper heads like the Rainy's heads which Leland uses are made of firm, closed-cell foam and will float forever without coating or any additional treatment. So, unless you feel the need to change the color or some other requirement, leave them alone. My own opinion is that the primary ability of the popper (or slider) to attract strikes is the waking pattern it causes on the surface simulating the wake that might be created by a wounded baitfish. A fish, looking up at the popper sees it only in silhouette and is probably unaware of its color.

dryflylarry likes this.
  11. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Hmmmm, I have plenty of old urethane foam chunks lying around, from when I used to shape/build some of my own surfboards. That stuff is closed cell. Perhaps I can shape my own popper heads.
    I have access to more scrap chunks of foam, since I am friends with 3 surfboard shapers, and they just throw the smaller chunks away. There's just too much left over scrap generated from shaping a board, to save it all for ding repairs.

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Hmmm, that's weird! I often apply herring oil to my bottom fish jigs, and they just sink like they normally do. Makes 'em pretty slick, though!:D

13. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Sometimes, just for the helluva it, I give my popper head a big hearty squeeze, mostly out of affection but it always seems to float a little better afterwards.

Leland.

dryflylarry likes this.
  14. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Hair poppers sink. Hard body poppers don't.... ever. That's why I switched to hard bodies :)