Popper materials that ride high on the water

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kcahill, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I am looking for any recommendations on materials that ride high in the water to create a larger V when pulling a popper without bulking up the fly to much, I have some stuff that is labeled "streamer hair" that works ok. I have also tried some of the Farrar "flash" blends but they do not seem to work very well.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

2. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

I guess the use of hard bodies is out of the question?

3. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

I dont know, im using a foam body now, but from the testing the same foam body + different materials = different size V. So the material has some factor in it, im looking just to get a smooth V with a larger profile. I guess I should get some sheet foam and do some gluing and testing to see what different size bodys do also.

4. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

You might try cutting the face of the foam body... or, try one of the hard plastic bodies. I experiment a lot with popper bodies. I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish with the "V". The only time I try to create a V on the surface is when I'm using a mouse pattern and I want to give the impression that it is swimming.

5. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

i have used pencil popper bodys, bass popper bodys(backwards), frog bodys, and some large foam ones that someone gave me just to check them out and they all have a little bit of different results. Right now im find that a really slow pull that results in a V gets me more interest from fish.

The problem I ran into this morning was with the wind and pouring rain I wasnt getting much of a V and had to really jerk the popper around to get interest. So I figured i would ask here and see what people come up with. I should probably just stop by the craft store and buy a crapload of fake fur and see what it does. I am trying not to make it to bulky because im tying on a tube.

6. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

The only luck I've had in those conditions was using a large salt water popper... but even then, if you're convincing bass to hit a surface popper this time of year and during a storm... you're way ahead of me when it comes to surface poppers.

7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

ah yeah i guess i should mention im using them in the salt water for SRC and salmon, i use the standard ones that everyone uses but since I have a lot of free fishing time over the winter i figured I would try to improve on the tube design.

8. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Okay...NOW I get it!

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    How about using a flat face foam body, similar to a Bob's Banger in smaller sizes.

10. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

i have tried them they work ok, they "pop" a lot though, I wonder what happens if you cut one of them flat so its a half cylinder

11. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I wonder if something like treated poly yarn rather then bucktail for the tail might help the v, since it would float higher behind the head.

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Ive been doing some deer hair poppers with foam pulled over the back, theyve been turning out nicely.
    I strip them slow and steady to get the nice wake and the popper lip makes them wobble which imparts a swimming action to the tail.

Attached Files:

Kcahill likes this.
  13. Norm Frechette

Norm Frechette Googlemeister

Media:
    i think that says it best!

i think you want something broad at the front of the fly to push water away and create the wake you are looking for? the tail material would just get matted in a clump and go along for the ride.

14. Shawn West

Shawn West Active Member

Media:
    You had mentioned that the Bob's Banger popped too much. If you are looking for a V on the water, couldnt you just use your popper and modify the retrieve to get the desired results you are looking for? Use a long smooth retrieve versus short sharp strips. You could also put the rod under your arm and use a two handed retrieve.

I prefer to use a Sneaky Pete style fly when I believe the "pop" is spooking the fish.

I reread your posts, and it looks like you have already tried most of what I have suggested. The reverse popper bodies should have given you the results you desired. With all due respect, I am not so sure how you can expect to get a nice quiet V in the water during winds and pouring rain. I am guessing that you got the attention of the fish this morning because you created more noise with your fly, helping the fish could locate it. This is an interesting topic. Keep us posted on what you learn.

Shawn

Kcahill likes this.
  15. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

That is probably beyond my tying capabilities, spinning deer hair is a skill that eludes me sadly.

I bought a bunch of sheet foam today im going to glue it together and try cutting it into different V shapes, I also picked up a bunch of wine corks and if i get REALLY bored I will turn them into different shapes to see what happens.

16. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Maybe it cant be done, but with 10 days of rain forecasted and everything blown\dirty I shall begin the quest for a better mousetrap!

17. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Im also a fan of the titantic cutt slider, Ive messed around with them a little, only prob is their prone to line twist. Pretty cool pattern tho

Heres a pic from online.

Attached Files:

Kcahill likes this.
  18. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

You know I havent messed around with that style, only the gurgler i will give that a try.

19. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    Kcahill likes this.
  20. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I'm not sure if this will help but I have a bunch of wine bottle corks. I also have a small portable lathe and for my poppers, I'm turning them down to the size I want and then mounting them on the hooks with epoxy. I just started about a week ago and am still playing with size and shape but I imagine they will pop and wake vey well and they will float high. I have also toyed with the idea of covering them with self adhesive foil. I don't think what's behind the popper head is as important as the popper itself as the fish are attracted to the disturbance on the surface.

Kcahill likes this.