Popper materials that ride high on the water

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Kcahill, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    Are you going tie them on a tube or use a trailing hook? I have turned some wine corks into shapes I want to try but I think they may be to heavy for any tubing I have. I may mess around some more with them today and try to fish them tomorrow.

KC
  2. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    and this is kind of what I am using now, a mix of lelands popper and rogers slider. And before I get any comments Yes, I know there is no originality in this fly. I am doing it this way to vary the soft rubber and see if I move the hook further back or closer I get more hook ups. I am also terrible with a digital camera.

Attached Files:

3. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +209 / 0
    Have you tried cutting the nose off the standard popper heads so there's more of a flat spot rather than the smooth cone shape?
  4. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    yeah ive actually tied the same thing with a couple of different pencil poppers and salt water poppers that have flat faces\heads. The rainys head pictured seems to do best, but it could be just because the fish were there that day!
  5. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +209 / 0
    Have you tried flipping that popper head around? In general, for a bigger wake you'll just need a bigger head that displaces more water. So do they sell that same head in a bigger size?
  6. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA

they do but I havent bought them yet, finding bass fly tying stuff around here.....I have to wait until the next time i pass by a big chain store. I have some frog bodys that are HUGE i havent figured out what im going to do with those yet i think they are even to big for the bass around here, might have to wait until next time im in texas to try them.
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    What you show is technically called a slider because it won't make the typical popping noise or disturbace. It merely slides through the water leaving a wake. Leland has popularized this with the Miyawaki "popper." They slide through the water on the surface leaving a telltale "V."
  8. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    I like my flies tied on hooks. I realize the benefits of tubes and do fish them often but I prefer the poppers either with a trailer like the Miyawaki popper or with the hook buried in the popper head. That being said, I have a couple of large foam heads with tubes through the middle that I can fish a very large fly behind when trolling for a sailfish, for example.
  9. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0

I think I see what Kcahill is talking about: I spent about three hours yesterday stripping Miyawaki poppers through rainy, gusty, tidal flow; about half of the time in the water, they were under water. Leland advocates (I think!) that the 'wake' is important, and I seemed to lack that yesterday. If you're fishing up and down the beach, and the popper is only spending half that time where you really want it, then I see what he is after. Leland? thoughts? :)
  10. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +65 / 0
    Had the same problem and asked at GH. Turns out it was too much material on the bottom side of the fly. Wrap the tube in tinsel and don't tie materials below the tube. Mine were either laying on their sides or submarining. Now they work fine.
  11. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +753 / 0
    the banger heads are the best waking heads in existence. you just have to do a steady two handed retrieve and they create a perfect v-wake... the bonus is they will pop if you need them too (if you come across surface feeding rockfish while salmon fishing)