Popper/slider?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by wyofly, Jan 3, 2013.

1. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

I recently viewed the outstanding tutorial by Big E for tying the Miyawaki Beach Popper. The fly is tied as a slider and not a popper. I enjoy using poppers for Bluegill and bass. The game is called “No guts - No glory.” You cast into an opening in the weeds or lily pads and often when the popper lands the fish hits. If not I wait until the ripples subside and give the popper a twitch. I’m wondering if any of you when fishing for SRC’s use the MBP tied as a popper? If so how do you fish it?

2. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    It's been tried but is not as effective as being tied as a slider. The V-wake that the fly creates is enough of a surface disturbance for salmon and SRC. A true popper with lots of gurgle and surface commotion isn't needed and may even discourage more fish than it attracts.

3. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    i would agree with big_e that the massive pops (from a popper head) would be counterproductive... but smaller disturbances like one gets from a gurgler work great for sea-runs and coho. if you're looking for another surface pattern it is hard to beat a gurgler.

chris

Mark Mercer likes this.
  4. wyofly

wyofly Active Member

Thanks guys, I ordered Rainy's Minnie Me and Pee-Wee popper heads and some stinger hooks.