Poppers and SRCs

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Salmon fisher, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Hi guys.

I went fishing for SRCs with a popper for the first time yesterday and have a couple questions. I didn't tie the popper with a trailing hook and had three strikes but no hookups. Is it necessary to have a trailing hook? Do I secure the mono from the trailing hook to the front hook by wrapping it down with tying thread?Lastly, I didn't see any fish following the popper, just the strikes. Am I not seeing the fish, or is it possible they aren't following the fly near the surface?

Thanks for your help

2. Well, I'm no expert, but I've been throwing a lot of poppers out there, because I think it's really fun. I've had MANY missed strikes. This seems to be a frustrating, yet typical, element of fishing a popper. I haven't tried a trailer hook, so I can't advise you on that rigging, but I think it would be worth a shot. As for followers, I have experienced a good number of wakes behing my fly, some of which resulted in strikes, others just seemed to turn away. The one thing I have noticed is that, whether it's a missed strike or a follower, it is best to keep that popper moving. Most of the time the fish will keep pursuing the fly until it gets pretty close to you. Like I said, I'm not a seasoned popper pro, but ever since I used one for the first time and got an SRC on the surface, I decided that it's about as fun as it can get.Also, for a less experienced saltwater flyfisher, it's an easy way to keep an eye on exactly where you're presenting your fly.

3. Leland ties his pattern with a trailing hook ONLY. He ties his 'stinger' with 15 pound mono and lays this on the hook shank (the one in the vise) and wraps over the mono then folds it back over it's self and wraps over it again. cement this down. He than finishes the remainder of the pattern and then cuts of the 'hook' part of the body hook leaving only the trailing hook which is usually a Gamakatsu Octopus bait hook.

4. You can tie it on a really long shank hook, what is it a mustad 34111? But a long shank hook raises other issues. I had a really lousy hookup rate until I started tying lelands popper on tubes, and using much smaller, fine wire hooks than he uses. Size 8 "hot shot" type hooks... I don't try to "see" a fish following, more often I'm much more relaxed about it and looking for something that just looks wrong around the popper. "nervous water" or water that just doesn't seem to match the water surrounding it is almost always an indicator something is about to slash at the popper. I figure one or more fish is making false moves at the popper and subtly disturbing the surface. At that point I perk up and "look through" the water trying to sight fish. Usually small ones. The big ones just seem to come out of nowhere and roll on it. At least that's my experience...

5. 14 years ago, I began tying my poppers on long shanks. I found that searuns and particularly, coho tended to twist off as they got leverage on the shanks. I have settled on the Gammy Octopus hooks in size 4 (searun sized) as a stinger tied onto a loop of 25# Maxima to be the best.

The rise forms to poppers range from follows, surges, pounces from above, strikes from nowhere, and full on ambushes from the side (especially by the "big boys").

Leland.

6. I went to my local fly shop and found that Rainy's Pee-wee pops were $3.45 for a pack of six. Is there any place that people know of where I can buy them for a cheaper price?

7. If you tie your flies correctly and use the right sized tippet, and don't
    bugger your casts, 6 should last a lifetime.

Leland.

8. Aahhhh..............those ones that jump out of the water and smash the fly on the way down are so freakin' COOL!

:)

9. If they grab it, be sure to give it a couple of hard, fast strips before raising your rod tip. That is the wisdom Leland passed on to me and it improved my grab-to-hookup ratio markedly. I've taken mature coho, pinks and searuns on Leland's popper (and still have a few wiggle off.).
    Good Fishing,
    Les

10. "if they grab it"... Yep, I had to yank a few of them away from the fish before I remembered to let them take it first.

I spent a few hours on the beach fishing with a friend this week and he asked me: "Why are you only using that popper all day?"

"Because I can" :cool:

11. Bastard!!!!!! ;)

12. Don't let Bob fool you! It's not about "because I can" but about "because I can't" - tie knots, that is.

He has an terrible crippling condition; an arthritic right hand - can't tell you why as this is a family friendly board - and is incapable of tying an effective knot on anything finer than 20 lb. line. So he gets a friend to tie on his flies before he heads out and superglues the knot so he doesn't lose the fly. Of course, he's real careful 'cause he don't want to lose it and have anyone learn his awful secret. :eek:

Tragic, especially for a man who makes a living the way he does... :rofl:

Thank God, I'm ambidextrous. ;)

13. I fish near a lot of eel grass. Have you tried using a hook guard on a popper?

14. The hook on the Miyawaki Popper rides barb up. Grass is not a major problem. Besides, adding a wee guard would not only reduce catching grass...it would reduce catching coho or cutthorat.
    Cheers,
    Les

15. I am quite curious about this fly. Would anyone be able to post an image or share a link which shows the fly. Regards

16. I'll throw a photo up on this thread this evening when I get home. You can also see the fly, get the recipe and fishing instructions in Les Johnson's book, Fly Fishing for Pacific Salmon II.

Leland.

17. Some guys are using Gamakatsu drop shot hooks on the Miyawaki Beach Popper with good results.

18. Here you are.

Leland.

19. Leland, Les and others with lots of popper experience...anyone fish these beneath the surface with a sinking or sink tip type setup? I wonder how the stripping action of a buyoyant fly resisting the forward motion and the sinking action would react. Any insight? I'm just wondering if it would add to the appearance of a flailing baitfish that has lost all orientation and control (maybe I'm just losing my mind). Thanks.

20. Jack Gartside's Gurgler, was originally tied to be fished on a sunken line utilizing the buoyancy you describe, but it has since become a floating fly of choice by many. Just today, I had a customer in the shop tell me about a large smallie he caught in a local lake on my popper fished on an intermediate sink line. He wanted the action of a buoyant sunken fly.

Leland.