Poppers and Trout

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ceviche, Apr 6, 2008.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Anyone ever use poppers for trout? I read about this tactic recently and got intrigued. The Avid Angler profited off of this whimsy on my part. Any other screwballs out there?

--Dave E.

2. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    I've had strikes skating a muddler across the surface at night but never hooked up to anything that way. I'm not sure if it was even trout.

3. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    I've had success catching trout accidently on poppers during the middle of the day. Usually, it has been in places where I'm throwing popper tight to lily pads in hopes of catching big bluegills or the occasional bass. Often the trout are cruising the same edges looking for damsel nymphs and can't resist what seems like a big meal. [The trout did seem to be a bit embarrassed....]

Steve

4. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Muddlers on the surface, in shallow water, at night, work really well for trout. I purposely tied them with a large blunt head to create more of a disturbance for night use. With that in mind, I don't see why poppers wouldn't work. Please keep us posted if you do try it.

TC

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I've been wanting to try it for SRC in the salt, but haven't got a chance yet! I bet it would be killer.

6. Steven Green

Steven Green Hood Canal Pirate

Media:
    At least I'm not crazy. I think I'll try that again sometime. I figured this out when my muddler wouldn't sink.

7. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I've used them to good effect on moving water. Like the slick spots in front of rootballs and downed trees. Drift and twitch.

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

A friend of mine took a trip down to Jurassic Lake in Patagonia last month. By golly, there's one of my searun-size poppers hanging out of his bow's mouth. He told me the strikes were frightening.

Leland.

9. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    find a stream with some smolt flowing into a lake...

10. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Sweet! :beer2: That must have given you a warm and fuzzy feeling. :thumb: Everyone loves it when the "strikes were frightening." Maybe you need to test your own beach poppers on some local lake that's known for jumbo fatties. A freshwater version might be the thing.

11. nz trout bum

nz trout bum Member

I am Leland's friend and he speaks the truth. The first fish came to the fly just 20 feet out and looked like a croc. Mouth wide open and out of the water charging hard. I pulled the fly away of course. Next one hit about 70 feet out and only saw the splash as there is almost always plenty of wave action on this lake. That one weighed 10 and 1/2 pounds. We were fishing from the beach. Best afternoon one of the guys caught 15 fish from 10 to 16 pounds. Didn't even count the smaller ones. We caught all rainbows, silver bright and hot. Hard conditions, wind, expensive, long way to go but oh.... the fish. Anyone wanting more info is welcome to PM. It was the trip of a lifetime. The only problem is... where do you go from here? W

12. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Oh! I guess that's what Leland meant when he said:

:rofl: It's a good thing you eventually recovered from the initial shock. :beer2:

13. Bob Coma

Bob Coma New Member

I use poppers at Pass during the fall when the fish are chasing minnows in the shallows. They work great right up against the bank, along the edges of the weedbeds that clog the surface, and in the weedless openings in said weedbeds. I had a 35 fish day 3 ago with the majority coming on the poppers. The takes can vary from slurps to the anticpation of a huge V shaped wake coming up from behind your bug to outright explosions. I still can see the 24 inch brown hanging in mid-air for a split second as he came completly out of the water diving onto the popper. As in the salt for cutts, it seems to work better on cloudy days or in the shade.

14. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    I use reverse spiders tied with popper bodies in rivers for SRCs during the fall. :thumb: tiny frog colored poppers work well on trout as well as bass on lakes.

15. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    :eek: Geez, Bob! Given the take by that brown, I'm left wondering why more people aren't fishing with poppers. Well, I know what I'll be starting out with the next time I go fishing. So cool!

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Did he hook any dinosaurs?!!!

17. Tyler Sadowski

Tyler Sadowski Active Member

Media:
    I love fishing for trout on the surface. Muddlers work great right around dark stripped right on the surface. One of my favorite flies of all time is the Whitlock mouse rat. I have had some savage strikes on those. :beer1:

18. Slogmonster

Slogmonster New Member

I have caught trout with poppers and mouse patterns at Rocky Forde, Nunally, and Lenice at twilight. it can be very exciting