Popsicle (Alaskabou)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by Big E, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    At the request of Bill W, I give you George Cook's Popsicle fly. George Cook originated the Popsicle as a silver fly while guiding in Alaska during the 80's. It is also popular for steelhead and is one of the flies of the Alaskabou series along with Pixie's Revenge, Candy Cane, Tequila Sunrise and Showgirl. They are all tied in much the same manner and vary in the colors of marabou and flash.

The Posicle was so named because it reminded Mr. Cook of the red, white, and blue "cherry pops" he ate as a kid.

[​IMG]

Recipe:
    Hook: TMC 7999, Daiichi 2161, Mustad 36890, or Gamakatsu T10-6H
    Thread: Red
    Body: Silver Tinsel
    First Wing: Orange Marabou
    Second Wing: Red Marabou
    Flash: Flashabou or Crystal Flash dependant on fish shyness
    Collar: Purple Schlappen

Dress your hook with red thread back to the hook point and then back up to the two-thirds point of the hook. Here I am using a TMC 7999 but there are certainly much cheaper hooks you can use.

[​IMG]

Tie in a piece of silver tinsel.

[​IMG]

Wind this to the back with overlapping passes until your thread is covered then reverse and move to the front where your thread is and tie off.

[​IMG]

So before we go any further, a bit about marabou. On the market you'll find a wide variety of marabou; wooly bugger, strung, blood quill, select, etc. For this fly, I would recommend blood quill of good quality. Even then, you'll need to go thru and select the right feather with the correct length or barbs and thickness of stem. I would consider the feather on the far right to be the best feather of the bunch.

[​IMG]

After you have selected your marabou,tie in an orange plume by the tip. Use wetted fingers to help you control it. I apologize in advance for this poor marabou selection (tip dyed and too long) but I was getting down to slim pickings.

[​IMG]

Trim off the tip, wet your fingers, and stroke the fibers back in preparation of wrapping the bou. There are other methods to use to do this (put feather in a dubbing loop or use a Petitjean tool) but I prefer this way. Make one wrap, reposition your grip on the quill (to eliminate twist), and stroke the feather to the back with wetted fingers. Continue in this manner until you have the fullness you want.

[​IMG]

After a few wraps, tie off and clean up.

[​IMG]

Tie in the second wing of red marabou in the same manner.

[​IMG]

Tie in a couple strands of Flashabou or Crystal Flash. Wrap it in half around the thread and tie in.

[​IMG]

Tie in some puple schlappen. Strip the webbing and prepare the butt.

[​IMG]

Take a few turns and tie off. Some recipes call for the collar to be purple marabou but the schlappen seems to control fouling.

[​IMG]

Pull back the schlappen and tie over it. This will lay it back and allow room for the head to be formed. Whip finish and finish off the head with SHHAN or similar.

[​IMG]

Here's another with purple flashabou.

[​IMG]

GAT and Eyejuggler like this.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:
    Nicely done! Thank you very much.