Popup Trailer camping - just getting started

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Sourdoughs, May 5, 2008.

1. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

I've been doing pop-up trailer "camping" (getting out of the house) for years, but I just got one in order to start taking out the family - wife, daughter age 8, and son age 6.

I'm looking to go to a place with the following criteria as best as possible:
    1) Fun outdoorsy stuff to do for the kids and wife (lake/stream/ocean, hiking, woodsy, etc),
    2) Easy to set up a pop-up trailer,
    3) Not too many surrounding campsites (eg Lake Kecheless and its 100 campsites is OUT)
    4) Within an hour and a half or so drive from Seattle area.

This is just to get into the camping thing before venturing out to further sites and scenes further away.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Ryan Francis

Ryan Francis HUMILITY IS NOT THINKING LESS OF ME, BUT THINKING

Deception Pass State Park

3. 509

509 New Member

Chiwawa River drainage on the Wenatchee River Ranger District. It is closed to fishing, but meets the other criteria.

Lots of places to camp. The campgrounds are also small if you chose to stay in them.
    Good hiking trails. Valley bottom is fairly flat so lots of places for the kids to get explore.

Not sure how far from Seattle it is. It is just over an hour from Wenatchee, but fairly close to the cloudy crest.

4. Sci-Fly

Sci-Fly New Member

Silver lake park in Whatcom county. It's a little farther than 1.5 hours from Seattle, but a great park for fishing, and plenty of stuff to occupy the kids and wife, too. Good boat launch, paddle boats, canoes, kayaks, and row boats available for rent. Nice swimming area when the weather warms up.
    Check it out here. http://www.co.whatcom.wa.us/parks/silverlake/silverlake.jsp

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Try some of the Campgrounds on the S/F Stilly. Or the one on the Beckler River.

You can play in the water or hike in the woods. Or try to find some out of the way place that only has room for one camp setup. These are all over the woods, all you have to do is go look for them.

Jim

6. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

OMJ brings up a good point, you really don't need a campground. There are some one vehicle spots on MFS, also close to town.

MB

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

There are a couple of good camp grounds just outside of Cle Elum on the West and North Fork of the Teanaway.

PM me if you'd like directions.

-Jeff

8. Sourdoughs

Great, all, thanks for the suggestions! I'll review them tonight for viability. Keep 'em coming!

9. TheBigO

TheBigO New Member

I took my tent trailer to deception pass park last weeked. Fished both cranberry and pass lake. Has a sweet time. You can look at each camp site online as well, to see if you like the layout. I was in #11 but in the future would maybe pick #69. That site looked more tucked away in the back less people and traffic. However the site got far less sun. here are some pics-

10. ratcitycat

ratcitycat New Member

Baker Lake is a nice area with small sized campgrounds and rough places to camp.One of my favorites is the area south of Highway 12 to the Columbia River,In between Mt Adams and Mt St Helens.Hiking Fishing Ice caves and Lava beds to explore.There are tons of hidden spots and campgrounds to set up camp.
    Mike

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Scenic Beach State Park on the Hood Canal (Seabeck area-west of Bremerton and Silverdale). About a 35 minute drive from the Bremerton Ferry. Beach access. Breakfast at "Barbies" in Seabeck. Right close is great Bald Eagle Watching at the mouth of Big Beef Creek on generally a low tide. Nice campground.

12. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

i would second this, beautiful area, just be heads up for mosquitos, lots of the bastards last time i was up there. i would recomend icicle creek as well.

13. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

close,,,

the campground at the end of MF Snoqualmie Rd is new and very nice
    the campground at Denny Creek
    the campground at Lake Cle Elum is decent

14. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Ft Ebey

"Fort Ebey State Park, a 645-acre camping park on Whidbey Island, was originally built as a coastal defense fort in World War II. Concrete platforms mark the gun locations. The park has three miles of saltwater shoreline on the Strait of Juan de Fuca, a freshwater lake for fishing, and miles of hiking and biking trails."

One of the few campgrounds I can put up with. Very well spaced camp sites. The one's our family always tries for is 24-2 & 24-3. Not view sites but your under a nice canopy of trees and you have your own play field with trails in all directions.

Hop in the rig, do the beach during the day. Visit the Fort, scare the shit of the kids (comedy) walking them through the bunker. (pitch black). The fear turns to laughter pretty quick and then you can't get them out. Bring flashlights to the bunker, even during the day.

15. Chris Scoones

Strongly agree with Jeff's suggestion on the North Fork of the Teanaway. Ignore the structured campgrounds. Pull your camper back off the road. Those type of spots will be pretty easy to find.

16. Chris Scoones

Whiskey Creek on the Oly Pen has always been a good hit. Near the Town of Joyce, time it during Joyce Days if you can. I strongly suggest you try to ensure you get the spot below the office, down on the beach, at the end of the road that leads West. You will have a bathroom that'll make the wife happy and privacy. You are right on the beach and you will have to get used to the volume of the waves crashing 30' from your trailer.

The kids will love hunting for rocks. Ensure you time the trip with a low tide and you can walk up the beach around the point. Just around the first point to the West from the camp site is one of the few beaches with near perfect round rocks. The kids and wife always enjoy looking for them.

Bring your rods. Give the beach a go or if you prefer a stream, get away for a few hours and spend some time on the Elwah.

Not quite as close as you might prefer, but worth the drive.

Whiskey Creek Beach
    Phone: 360-928-3489

17. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

yeah, i'll second this suggestion.

18. Sourdoughs

Awesome, guys, thanks! I'll be compiling this list for the future campouts. Hopefully I'll have some trip pics & reports to give!

19. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

There is some great stuff down by Silver lake in Cowlitz co. Good panfish stuff for the mid day kid stuff. I get up early and go steelie fishing and come back to entertain the kids. Then sneak out for the evening steelie bite and back in time to be the camp fire GOD !!!

20. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Fort Flagler State Park, south of Port Townsend and about forty-five minutes from the Bainbridge Island ferry. About forty-five wooded camp sites in the upper campground. I don't have kids myself, but it appears to be very family friendly. It's also nice to have Port Townsend just thirty or so minutes away.