portable propane campfires.

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by jeff bandy, Aug 26, 2014.

1. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Heading out to ..... ..... this fall and with the burn bans more then likely still in effect. I was thinking of bringing a campfire with. I've looked all over the net, read the reviews of the Camp chef and similar ones. These are easy but small. 5k btu's probably ain't going to cut it.

Trying to find one that will heat more then a couple of people at a time. Open to ideas. DIY probably isn't a option as I don't have the skills or tools to make one.

Sitting around the campfire, smoking a cigar, sipping some good whiskey talking about the days fishing. It just doesn't get any better.

Ed Call and Steve Call like this.
  2. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    I've got one of the Camp Chef models. The only reason I bought it was because they were running a crazy sale on them that included free shipping for your whole order. I was buying some other stuff from them anyway, so it worked out to be only about $25 more than paying for shipping or something like that. It sucks a lot of propane, and I think it's 55k BTU's, not 5k. It was nice for thawing out the waders and boots on a frosty morning, but between that and sitting around the fire for an hour or two the night before, I burned through the better part of a 20lb tank. It's also pretty bulky, and you'll definitely want the carrying case to keep the lava rock contained.

3. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    Camp Chef with the logs. Its in a carry case. Better than no camp fire, we use it during burn bans.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Peaton, just trying to get some idea of how well it works. So with four campers sitting around it, on a calm cool night. Will it throw off enough heat to keep the chill at bay? Or is it just a fake fire to stare at?

5. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I would say some heat if you make it a center piece. The fire itself sets the mood and it offers a comforting feeling. You get over the fact its a fake fire pretty quick.

6. splett

splett Active Member

I do not have a recommendation but I did watch a ranger threaten a ticket over the use of one during a burn ban.This happened at Flagler last year.

7. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:

Thanks for the info. I know what a burn ban is. Have researched this thoroughly. There are exemptions in burn ban areas. If you read my first post, this is why I'm looking into this option.

Sorry to come off rude. These kind of threads can go sideways/off topic real easy lately.:)

8. greenwater

greenwater Member

Media:
    Got a 58k one from amazon a few weeks back so don't have a large sample size to work from. Worked well for us, but kept it mostly on medium because it only dipped into the 50's at night and it was more than sufficient and that was while wearing shorts and long sleeve t-shirt. A good thing about them is that since it's not popping cinders at you, it is much easier to get closer. Don't know that I would rely on it in a freezing blizzard though, given the option would burn wood fire of course.

9. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Greenwater, brand, cost, size?
    How long did you use it for and how much fuel did it use?

10. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    As an FYI: The DNR lift the state-wide ban on campfires, effective today. That's means fires in established campfire rings on STATE Lands is now allowed. US Forest Service land managers don't automatically follow DNR's lead, but most do. Still, for Forest Service lands, best to contact the individual Forest District offices to get the latest on their bans.

You can see MOST state-wide burn bans (include air quality burn bans affecting woodstove use) at waburnbans.net

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  11. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Going to ID. Have been there before and we will not be in a campground. So no ring = no fire.:( Hence the hunt for an alternative.

12. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Media:
    Home Page:
    Edited due to internet burp = duplicate post.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yup. Has a high output burner. Thought it was 60k but could be 55k. It eats those 20# tanks fast. Budget 1 tank a night at full output.

Ill say this. Blustery winter day in my 10x10 pop up with sidewalls makes for a nice night. I've picked up one of the big tanks. Gonna start bringing it.

Id fight him on that. Not an open fire. Its a propane pit. Unless people you saw were tossing wood on the propane pit. Was told it was ok. Once the BLM found out it was propane he told us to have a good night.

14. greenwater

greenwater Member

Media:
    Sorry for delay, went fishing

It's a Heininger, cost ~$120 and is 19 inch. I'd say we probably went12-15hrs on medium with the 20lbs tank. If you look into it further, read the reviews that talk about some issues with turning the gas source on too fast. I didn't run into it but good to be educated.

15. Vladimir Steblina

Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most of eastern Washington is still in extreme fire danger. The counties have their own burn bans. In Chelan County, the open fire ban is in effect until September 30th. Check carefully before lighting a fire!!!

Forest Service NEVER followed DNR's lead!!! I know I sat in on those meetings!! Good luck understanding all the fire closures. The best advice until we get a soaking rain in eastern Washington....don't.

Oh, on the propane fire pits. Different agencies have different language in the closure orders. So it will vary by agency. Any propane open flame that is more than an inch high will probably get a visit. If you want to live on the edge!!! BTW....watching a total cost of a fire go into the double digit million dollar range means automatic bankruptcy for most folks if they are held liable.