Portable tying station advice

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by bitterroot, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    I'm in the process of building a little tying station that I can sit on my lap while enjoying the comforts of my easy chair. Believe me, nothing fancy. Really just a platform that will hold my pedestal vise with a piece of moulding around the outside to keep things from sliding off.
    Given my aging eyes, I use a pair of 3X reading glasses to see what I'm doing, but I also need really good light. It can't be anything with a big base as the lap platform is not that big. Also, want it to be LED.
    Been looking at the light made by Peak that clamps to the stem of the vise and it would seem to be ideal. Anybody have any experience with these? They are pretty expensive but it seems that most LED desk lamps are.
  2. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    I think I was at Staples, but not 100% sure, and I saw a nice little clamp on full spectrum LED desk light for about $30 that I almost picked up for myself. It was corded instead of battery powered. That might be a solution for you.
  3. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Thanks, Gary, I'll look in to that.
  4. gbeeman Active Member

Kennewick WA
    Ratings: +35 / 0
    You might also want to thing about using a head lamp. REI has some excellent ones.

GBeeman
  5. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    I thought about a headlamp, which I already have, but if I glance up at the TV the light is gonna glance up at the TV too and I think that will drive my wife and kids nuts!:D
  6. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
  7. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Nice setup.

I see that you have a "visual enhancement backdrop". Do you like it? My eyes are getting worse by the year - I wonder if having this sort of thing would make a difference. Is it worth it? Or does it just get in the way?
  8. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Yes, nice setup indeed. That is essentially what I'm talking about but on a much less fancy scale.
    I have looked at the Mackenzie lights and they are nice but was hoping for LED cuz they don't get as hot and they last almost forever.
  9. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Just ordered the Peak LED light. My wallets a little lighter but I think I'll do more tying as a result.
  10. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Finished product. All the tools and materials not being used at the time will remain in a rubbermaid container where I can reach them.
    P1020300.JPG P1020301.JPG P1020302.JPG
  11. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Is the Peak light Made in USA?
  12. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Their website indicates it's Made in USA and I see nothing on the light, box or instructions that says any different. So I think it is.
  13. RustE drifting about

Great Lakes
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Nice! I might have to get one.
  14. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Just made this. Nicer to have everything at the ready....
    P1020303.JPG
    Gary Knowels likes this.