Portland OR area quick trip

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by boroflyer, Jun 2, 2013.

1. boroflyer

boroflyer New Member

Might have some free time Tuesday or weds to throw in my waders.

Wondering if there is some moving water I could hit and catch some fish.

Willing to drive an hour or so.

Thanks.

2. aplTyler

aplTyler Inept Steelheader

To be guaranteed that you'll catch fish? Not much within an hour (though if you're a better angler than me which is not hard, then your odds are good)...

In two hours, you're on the Deschutes near Maupin. I just posted a report in the trip reports thread. It was good to me.

Steelhead wise, the SW Washington rivers should be in shape. They are all dropping nicely. The Clack and Sandy have fish in them too. Heck, the S. Santiam has gotten some really good numbers of Summer-heads back already if you don't mind an hour and a half drive and you have steel on the brain.

Also, Shad fishing should continue to build in the Columbia River Gorge. 7 wts and combat fishing near Bonneville but supposedly bad ass if get into them. I've yet to try it but I scoped out the scene while driving to Hood River last week. Bonneville is about 45 minutes from Downtown PDX.

Good luck.

3. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Media:
    I hooked three shad and a sturgeon fishing a few hours after work last Thursday at Bonneville. The gear guys were into them almost non-stop. It's not easy to fly fish but worth the trip for the experience.

aplTyler likes this.