Possible to turn a 2 piece into a 4 piece?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by phil217, Mar 14, 2011.

1. phil217 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have a custom made 4 weight...It is a 2 piece 10 Foot rod. I was wondering if it is possible to turn into a 4 piece rod...

If it is...any recommendations on where I can take it to be done?

Thanks!
  2. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    That's a good question
  3. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 8
    I am no expert, but I think you could do it if you want to make spigot ferrules for the rod. Originally, some (many? I don't know) are rolled as one piece and the ferrules are added after the rod is cut into pieces. So it can be done I think. However, actually doing it is way past my limited knowledge.
    Good luck.
  4. NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Ratings: +29 / 1
    It is going to be hard cutting without splintering. That would be the first step, trying to figure that out and where to cut. I'm thinking equal lengths. Maybe a fine band saw, wrapping masking tape around the area your going to cut.
  5. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 8
    unless you have the right tools and an really know what you are doing, sounds like a great opportunity to ruin a rod to me.
  6. crookedneck New Member

Peshtigo, Wi
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    It can be done. As far as cutting it. Dremel with a Diamond cut off disc. I would suggest not doing it though. 1.) for the price you would have to pay for the ferrules you will probably be able to buy a new rod. 2.) the ferrules would be metal and most are suggested for bamboo or fiberglass. If you would like more info PM me and I can point you in the right direction.

Mike
  7. Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Redmond, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +71 / 0
    Phil,

Keep your custom made 2 piece as it is and buy a travel rod or a blank and turn your own. Why take a chance on hacking up a good rod or a rod you like? I would be willing to bet after the cuts and ferrules you will not be as happy wih the "new" action. Not trying to be a smart ass but........

Mike
  8. dfl Active Member

Sequim WA
    Ratings: +130 / 0
    I did that once with a car door.
  9. CC898 Member

Montana
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I can give to my four year old, she is really good at "resizing" rods. Seriously though, not worth the trouble and cost.
  10. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    I think it is possible with very little cost...the biggest cost may be to the action and length...but really who knows it may not be noticeable. I'd think you could cut it like mentioned above and not use metal ferrules at all. Now this will probably cost you some length but where you want to cut, you'll have to take out a section about 2 - 4" long. Mark the top section in half then move up one more inch toward the tiptop, cut it there, take the lower section and cut it back an inch, Check for fit, if the rod doesn't nest together 3" then cut the top section half an inch and the bottom section half an inch and and check for fit again. repeat if needed until the rod nests into the upper section about 3". May want to do 1/4" increments after the second try. Then sand the finish off the lower ferrule section and put a little rubber plug in the end to keep it from splintering then wrap the upper ferrule and you're done...repeat the process on the lower half of the rod.

The big wrench in all of this is ...there are bound to be guide wraps where cutting and ferrules will need to occur...therefore guides will have to be moved...If you don't want to try it, I'm sure there is someone on here up for the challenge...provided you don't take it personal if it doesn't work out.

By the way, I've done a variation of this before to repair a broken rod and it worked very well (added a Ferrule at the break, basically splicing the rod back together)

In reality it's a bad idea...don't do it. Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done. Especially to a custom rod.
  11. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I wonder if you can find graphite/glass ferrels anywhere ala fenwick ferrelight
  12. phil217 Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks for all the input guys! I actually just bought a 4 piece and based on your suggestions. I will keep the 2 piece and leave it be!
  13. Loren Jensen Active Member

Sedro-Woolley, Washington
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Good choice!

Loren