Posting location specific reports on the interwebs: A collective discussion

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Evan Burck, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,706 / 2
    Been lots of back and forth lately on posting location specific reports up on the internet. I thought it could be a good topic to discuss in its own thread to get everyone's take on it rather than filling up others' posts with debates on this topic. I think if we keep it civil, it could be a productive discussion.

I for one believe very strongly in not posting up specific locations when sharing a fishing report, especially when those reports involve great success and pictures. I think a person can share their trip and pictures every bit as effectively without giving away the location. I personally don't understand why a person would even give away their spots to thousands of people they don't know. Positive reports do, and always have increased fishing pressure exponentially. With the increasing difficulty in finding solitude on the water, why are many of us so willing to tell the world where to go?

Many use the argument that these rivers are long, not a secret, and that positive reports will do nothing to increase pressure. I think that someone knowing about a river, and them having that river on their radar are two totally different things. We all know of dozens of rivers around the state, but as soon as someone comes online and says "I caught 98749873 steelhead on XXXX River!" Who can honestly say that those who were sitting around wondering where to head that weekend just made up their minds on where they're headed?

I've seen it personally on many occasions... Even had a day on a river this year where it was severely overcrowded (more than myself or anyone else had ever seen it), and the majority of those I talked to throughout the day were "checking it out because they heard good reports on the internet."

I especially think that it can upset a lot of people when someone posts a specific report on a relatively unknown fishery, even if it's on a well known river. I for one have had my feathers ruffled a few times when someone did such a thing. I have a few of my own little "secrets" about a few rivers that may or may not be secret. And I know I'd be extremely pissed if someone came online and told the world about it just for the sake of bragging.

There's my take... What's yours?
  2. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    I agree 100%.

While everyone "knows" of the rivers, bringing it to someone's attention that it's fishing well is a big NO NO in my book and when I see reports such as these, I usually PM the originator and politely ask them to refrain from similar future posts if they ever plan on catching fish in that spot/river/run again. Usually people aren't aware that "guests" on this board patrol our posts for information and are NOT planning on sharing their reports with us. On the other hand, I keep in contact with a lot people on this board and we share reports; meaning if they have a good day, I know about it and likewise, if I have one, they know about it. This sharing is great and usually only comes with people I trust with the info. Posting it on one of the most viewed fly fishing websites is just stupid in my book.

In regards to the "guests" on here, go to the main page and look how many members are on it right now and how many "guests" there are. Ridiculous is the first word that comes to mind. Right now, 262 members, 639 guests. You think all those guests are here to learn how to tie their own leaders? I think not.

However, even sharing reports with people you trust can come back and bite you...ask me how I know, but I digress...
  3. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Agreed, Luke. I share info with my fishing buddies... Some more than others. But telling these online "guests," no way. I just see no upside to it.
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,788 / 0
    I will make it simple as far as I am concerned. I will post any type of report that I feel like. 90% of my fishing is done on one river system and I am usually fishing out of the sled. It does not take much of a scientist to figure out where I am fishing or what I am fishing for.
    Freakin' net nannies.
  5. Mark Horwath Member

everett wa.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Well I din't intend to cause a uproar, and I don't need to brag. I do agree with your thoughts to a point. We all have our secret spots, I did not think I gave away anything. When the guides on our rivers spout off about their successful trips I don't here sh-- about it but when Joe says he or she has a nice day on the river, my god. I will still post on this site,but not the place. I do agree i'ts a great topic to talk about.
  6. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +116 / 0
    get him Kerry:) get him!!!!!!!!!!
  7. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    You didn't cause an uproar.... This controversy has been going on for as long as I've been on this site. Just thought it may be productive to have a place to discuss it rather than ruining someone else's thread.
  8. Split Bamboo Member

Tacoma, Washington
    It killed me a number of years ago when I saw a few people posting pics from a relatively unknown location I used to fish a lot. The descriptions and the pics made it pretty obvious where they were and how good the fishing was. That location began getting more pressure, was it a direct result of this forum? Who knows, but it might have.

I think if you want to post pics and tell your story about the major well know fisheries, I don't have a problem. Bragging about the Yak, the Kalama or Neah Bay is not going to affect the pressure and I think its helpful to other members. But I do have concerns when people discuss some of the lesser known fisheries, particularly those that are relatively easy to access. I don't think discussing the fishing prospects of the upper Elwha near the Hayes river is going to impact the pressure up there.

A while back somebody started a thread asking for info on a very specific location that I sometimes fish and it remains pretty unknown. I sent the guy a PM begging him to pull his post, and if he would I would tell him some info. Thankfully he edited his post.

If someone wants to share a story and pics from a great day catching Pinks in the Duwamish, more power to 'em! But if you start bragging about the East Fork of the Upper Zipperlip.....get a rope!
  9. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Excellent points Split Bamboo. I think there are locations where it's going to have less of an effect. But since I don't know where to draw that line, I just keep my mouth shut personally.
  10. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ahhh, I see this has already come down to either being a "Net Nanny" or a "Flap Jaw"....pick your side.

I personally haven't fished enough rivers and neither has my children for me to be running around telling everyone and their mother. All it takes is one motivated person to investigate your report and then spread the word and poof, you have a blown fishery (read west side rivers). I'd like it if my kids could experience some good fishing so I tend to keep my mouth shut. Obviously this isn't an issue for you and that's fine, but putting locations on blast and name calling isn't really necessary.
  11. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,543 / 9
    From the home page:
    "It's a community site, run by anglers for anglers. Content is provided by the site but mostly, as with any good community based site, it's a mechanism to share info, stories & photos between each other."

I know that I've been the benefactor of guarded information and that information shall not be shared. I know I have shared information via reports and photos and gotten some nasty comments in public threads, private messages and even phone calls. I know that I too will share what I feel I am willing to share. So far I'm pretty sure, unless drunk and spouting off, that I've not betrayed the trust of those that have given me great information or taken me along on trips that they told me were not to be pimped out. My position may make me a less than desireable fishing partner...that is not up to me.
  12. Split Bamboo Member

Tacoma, Washington
    I thought you were keeping your mouth shut to prevent the fudge from falling out!

I guess if you have any doubt about revealing a spot then don't!

One could just google the location...if there is tons of info its probably ok.

This site will lose a lot of its appeal if the majority of the threads are just newbies and trolls getting flamed, Mumbles videos and OMJ's weather reports!
  13. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Just throwing this out there and am by no means making a suggestion to follow, but, I know of and am a member on other forums that charge for a membership. A membership grants you access to sub forums not everyone in the world can read. It comes down to, how valuable is information to you? I'd be willing to pay for a private membership knowing that I'd only be sharing with other people vested into the site and conservation of the information. The money could then go to help keep the site a float and possibly even the gear program. This would naturally weed out any people looking for a "free handout".
  14. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    I think there's plenty of good info on the site. I keep plenty entertained on here. I personally love the reports that people post up with pictures and all that, even when the location isn't even hinted at. I just think the specific location is not a necessary thing to include in a report for the information, story, and pictures to be fully enjoyed.
  15. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Just came back from the Skyaklictmethowaguamish and did well on steelchumpacoho, landed over 50 easy with the smallest coming in at 15 lbs. The money fly was the nunyafreakkinbizness, I couldn't agree more, there are more lurkers on the board and I take care to keep those locations that I want to keep sacred off my blog or password protect them. Like a good magician, a good fisherman never reveals his magic tricks or spots, especially on a public forum like this one.

BTW... Here are the GPS coordinates: W 694U, N 8675309
  16. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    That's an awesome way to look at it. I personally consider my fishing info to be pretty damn valuable to me. I've spent so much money on gas, food, gear, etc... driven tens of thousands of miles, hiked hundreds of miles, made tens of thousands of casts, and done things I'm not proud of to get the info that I have... And so have my fishing buddies that I've received information from. To just go posting that info online for so many "guests" to see, who have done little to no work figuring it out for themselves, it just a waste to me.

It seems that a lot of the enthusiastic location reports I've seen over time have been from guys who just found a new spot, and happened to get there on the right day without much of any previous experience and hardships of trying to figure that place out.

I'll use one river as an example.. The Skykomish is as far from a secret river as you can get. It's big, it's long, and it gets a lot of pressure. But as far as angler success on steelhead, I think that the number of successful anglers out on this river might be some of the lowest in the state. It has a learning curve on it far beyond what many rivers in this state have. It's just plain TOUGH to figure out. I feel that after fishing it HARD for a few years, I have it at least somewhat figured out. I hooked fish more often than I didn't last winter. But the planets have to align for that river to be worth a trip, and I'm starting to figure out when and where that is. But I'll be damned if I'm going to give up that hard earned knowledge for the world to see.
  17. orangeradish Bobo approved

Capital City
    Ratings: +491 / 0
    Classic, Paul. Classic.
  18. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I rarely post a report and if I did, I would never disclose the location. Positive reports from anywhere always increase fishing pressure. Sharing the experience is fine if thats your thing, but IMO the only reason to post a location is if you want someone else to fish there. I personally prefer not to fish highly pressured water and not to catch fish that have been caught by several others. Would you want to sleep with the same woman that everyone else in your neighborhood slept with first?

Another misconception I see is that its okay to pimp a location if its well known. As I pointed out in the other post, just because a spot is well known doesn't mean there aren't secrets about it. I have locations, times, etc. in most of the popular rivers around here where I can catch fish and barely see another fisherman. That doesn't mean I need to post it everywhere just because a lot of people know the river. I've seen a lot of my favorite places go down the drain simply due to reporting and publicizing.
  19. Mark Horwath Member

everett wa.
    I would gladly take this thread off line if some one can help i tride but am not getting it?
  20. smc Active Member

Up River
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    I fish the Skagit, Suak and surrounding watersheds. Smaller streams in the watershed will never get a mention from me on the interwebs, but I see no issue at all with naming the Skagit or Sauk as a broad reference.

Having said that, the few reports that I've offered up have all been for small zipper-lip streams. I live on the river and manage to catch a fish or two now and then, with no report. Maybe because I get skunked too often, or maybe it's just too close to home. Either way I can certainly understand those who make a personal choice to keep quiet.

Now, having said that, I'm with Kerry. I'll post any report I feel like posting.