Potential bad news for July 1st openers...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by yellowlab, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Has anyone heard of this for the upcoming July 1st opener? Does it mean that even crab and our local area waters will close?!?!? I had sent an email to WDFW for clarification on a matter but got this response from Kirt M Hughes (DFW)

"Just a side note regarding the July 1 opener for Marine Area 12 and other fisheries slated to open July 1, absent an agreed to budget from the legislature these fisheries will remain closed and fisheries already open will close. These closures are needed because WDFW staff like other state employees will be on temporary layoff and monitoring of fisheries will not occur. Monitoring fisheries is required to ensure conservation as we are legally mandated.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us to better understand the fishing regulations ensuring that you too are supporting conservation while at the same time legally enjoying the fishing opportunity available in Washington at this time."

2. so wait does this means rivers will close too?

3. I would assume so. Here are other things to happen:
    ....Two-thirds of all state agencies, boards and commissions would shut down, including all state parks, which means current camping and cabin reservations and scheduled special events would be cancelled.
    Additionally, sex offenders would no longer be tracked by GPS, state lottery sales would be suspended and unemployment offices would close.
    Emerald Downs, which is operated by the Horse Racing Commission, would also shut down.

4. Wow that's a buzz kill! It also sounds like BS because most agencies that are being furloughed (laid off) have one day a week (or similar) as a furlough day so that operations are not as affected.

Edit: After thinking about this more I guess this is a state thing and I really have no idea where they are with things. I had the federal "lay offs" on the brain.

5. Will there be a law on the books saying it is suddenly illegal to fish?

I'll probably still fish. I can't imagine they would expend resources trying to stop people from fishing. I suppose maybe I just won't keep anything until it's figured out.

6. I'll add this:

I might behoove a lot of us to keep fishing, if we believe in the resource and care about it. If the rivers and beaches are left to only the poachers and other douchebags who would like to destroy the fishery, and will be there breaking the law regardless, then it might be good to have a noticeable presence of anglers who are out there practicing good, conservation ethics.

Just a thought.

Jim Wallace and Thomas Williams like this.
  7. If a tree falls in the forest...

Jim Wallace likes this.
  8. So you are saying enforcement on the rivers will be none. I don't see what the change is...:confused: kudos to the few that pound the banks but let's get real enforcement is already slim to none.

Jim Wallace likes this.
  9. Yellowlab, where did you first hear about possible opener concerns? I don't see anything on the WDFW website...I could be missing it though.

10. Yeah, maybe. It still doesn't look definite! :confused:

I try to be a very involved voter, researching candidates and issues and then voting as I deem best. But I am so sick-and-tired of the seemingly blind partisanship that affects our state and federal governments. It almost seems as if folks who are elected to political office, when taking their appointed positions, leave caring, responsive, rational thought behind!!

Not that I'm a centrist, but what ever happened to the "hands across the aisle" concept? Shouldn't these politicos be more concerned with the issues that affect folks that put them into office as opposed to party politics????

Sorry for the political rant. :oops:

I will jump off my soap-box now!

Need to think: "fish....water....quietness.....peace....." :D

Gary Knowels likes this.
  11. Quietness and peace? You do know it's a pink year right!? haha :D

12. Hopefully that will mean less people on the skinny water that I love!

13. Progression of fishing:

water....ahhh....peace.....cast.....hope......anticipation......mmmmm.....cast.......patience......pleasure......anticipation.....hmmmmm......doubt.......change fly........hope......peace......anticipation.......wonder.......doubt........change
    fly........hope......cast........pleasure.....patience........sight.......wonder.......excitement.........hookup!.......excitement.......exercise....retrieve....excitment.....pleasure......fish to hand.......wonder.........appreciation.......thanks.......release........praise......peace.....

Repeat! ;)