Powell Rod warranty

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by tightlines1956, May 5, 2013.

1. tightlines1956

tightlines1956 New Member

I could use some coaching - for Christmas this year - our son gave me a Powell 6wt - Tiboron XL - 906-4

and was able to try it for the first time on Friday - May3rd - on the very first cast the tip broke - and I have Loop, Redington, and Ross rods - and have never broke a tip - on the FIRST cast

I contacted Powell - and they want $175 for a warranty fix - seems excessive - he bought it from Sierra Trading Post - and he has contacted them to see if they will take it back

Please be aware of Powell warranty issues -

Any suggestions on how to handle this?? The email back from Powell implied that I don't know how to cast properly!!

2. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    You should have no issue returning it to sierra trading post. They have a basically no question asked return policy. Only thing you pay is the shipping. Good luck!

3. tightlines1956

tightlines1956 New Member

Yes - we just got the word that STP is doing a return - no money back since it is over 6 months - but a credit - a sort of happy ending -
    I just wanted a new rod tip - but I guess I will look into rods other than Powell!!!

4. Porter

Porter Active Member

Powell....not the company it use to be. Buyer beware!

5. jersey

jersey livin' the dream

Seems strange. Been in the warehouse and saw the rods returned due to breakage. Obviously more spinning gear, but there were a few fly rods. They are decent folks too. Hope it works out OK

6. NCL

NCL Active Member

I am not sure if STP policy has changed but a few years ago I had a return item and was told something similar to what you said above. I was later talking to the Cheyenne store and they told me "no" the return was to be no questions asked and that they had had some resistence from a certain segment of the company on the return policy. The lady I was talking with then mentioned the old shoe that is on the wall at headquarters and the return policy. I would give STP headquarters in Cheyenne a call and ask.

7. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

True that.

8. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I don't know the entire story but the current owner of Powell (2005 or so) broke off on his own and left all of the dealers on their own with respect to any warranty issues. I learned this after this story:
    Several years ago at one of the shows in Bellevue, this (same) guy urged me to try the 4wt Powell in my hand. So, I lined up at the casting pool, waiting my turn. There was a gentleman flailing away with a spey rod and roundhoused the tip of the 4wt. (A seriously awful caster.) It didn't break until after I'd been casting for a bit. I was mortified. Never broke a rod in my life up to then, or since. The Kaufmann's guys (whom I knew well) were right there in their kiosk, heard the snap, and told me to "go break another one".
    I will say though that the rod threw the tightest loops I have ever seen. Some kind of titanium composite.
    But, I agree, stay away.