Practical Flats Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Slate Run, Feb 12, 2014.

1. How do you carry a second rod when fishing solo on the flats? I've been using velcro straps to secure it to my hip pack, but that makes access to the pack difficult and almost comical. I'm hoping someone has a better solution.

"Hire a guide to carry the 10 weight, you cheap bastard."

Yeah, great solution, but what about the times when the guide is off helping your partner and the permit or trevally suddenly appears? Many thanks for your ideas.

2. You can run a strap from the reel to the stripper ring. An old bag strap with plastic clips on the end works well for this. Rod goes on your back with the tip extending out over your left shoulder (for a right hander.)

It works, but in the time it takes for you to get the rod, strip off the line and make the cast, your permit or trevally is long, long gone. The better solution is to always fish a crab fly which everything will eat.

alpinetrout likes this.
  3. I see alot of the South African flats guides wear backpacks and carry the rod strapped to the side of the pack on there non-casting side. might be worth a try. Although its probably not something you could do with a hip bag due to the lack of shoulder straps.

4. Mostly I've found it a pain in the butt. If you do see a trevally you are better off to use your bonefish setup to try and attack him. By the time you get the second rod out, he's gone........or just target the larger species only....

5. The fishermen in Texas spend a lot of time on a flat like 4-6 hrs at a time. If nothing else having a second rod if you break the first a 2 hr slog from the boat is kind of nice. Check out this thread about modifying a Texas style wading belt to hold a fly rod already rigged. I have ordered flats fishing stuff from Academy which is based in Texas and had decent service.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3357818/Re_Looking_for_a_wading_belt_o

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

stilly stalker and Slate Run like this.