Practical Weight Limit For Pontoons

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by TB, Apr 4, 2012.

1. TB

TB Member

Never owned a pontoon boat, but I thought it might be worth a try. I am a 6"2", 250# guy, kinda top heavy (shoulders, arms, torso a bit bigger than average). My concern is the stability of a pontoon boat, underneath me, as I might lean back in the seat, or just shift my weight. would I want to steer away from 7 1/2' or 8' toons, or would they be fairly stable for me? Also, some toons are kinda made like a rocking chair runner, is that design less stable in the water than a flat design?

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Rockered is much more maneuverable but will feel less stable. Will you be in lakes, rivers or both? At your size I'd not go less than 8' for lakes and 9' for rivers. You are probably big and strong enough to go up to 10' for length and that gives great options.

3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I think you worry too much.

As long as you buy a toon that is rated for your weight you won't have an issue if you just plan on sitting all day. Being that you are only 250, I don't think there are many that won't support you.

The more of the tube in the water will be more stable but less manuverable, more rocker is less stable but more manuverable.

If you want to stand, you want longer tubes and should look at going 10 - 12' +

4. matalpa

matalpa Member

I have a fishcat panther that has the smaller diameter 9' double tubes. I weigh a little more than you and have loaded it up with gear to at least 325 pounds, maybe 350. Still plenty of freeboard and I can not imagine how you could flip it without actively trying to flip it. Any quality boat will be fine.