Prairie dog hunting in washington

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by chasinchukar9, Jun 13, 2008.

1. chasinchukar9

chasinchukar9 New Member

does any one know where to Prairie dog hunt in washington i have always had an itch to do it but never the time and know i do. ptyd

2. Matthew Joyce

Matthew Joyce Member

If you kill something, it better be in self defense or for food. I'm thinking your not too threatened by a gopher and its gonna taste like crap. So itbegs the question, what are you going to do with a dead gopher?

3. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Prairie dogs are vermin. We are under no ethical or legal obligation to eat them any more than we need the flies we swat.

I am not aware of any dog towns in Washington. I'd think there wouild be sage rat populations that would serve the same purpose.

4. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

dubbing...???

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

There is a good population of marmots (rock hogs) over here on the dry side and you might be able to talk some of the ranchers and orchardist into hunting them.
    There is also lots of public land to do some shooting on.

6. Smooth

Smooth Guest

I hate rodents. ALL RODENTS. I could care less if they will be eaten by me, a bug, or bacteria. Rodents are SATAN's MINIONS.

I would love to go vaporize some rodents. Anyone looking for a partner who enjoys Single Malt (after the guns are put away) look me up!

7. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

Media:
    Wahoooo! love shootin' thems little vermins. Montana has a lot, southern Idaho and north dakota and Colorado. Not too many in washington and No pararie dogs to my knowledge but there are red diggers and Ground squirrles. Rock chucks and coyotes are some other options.

East Fork, I am begining to really like the way you think. :beer2:

8. Michael&Tanner

Michael&Tanner Sir Real

Smooth,

You and I need to hang out.

9. Smooth

Smooth Guest

Michael (and Tanner)
    Hey, if Edmunds wasn't so far away from Spokane I would say let's hook up this wekend.
    There is some OK rodent hunting south of here around Tekoa...
    Let me know if you are out this way sometime.

10. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Drive up the side roads out of the Methow and Chewauk River Valleys: ranchers and home owners wage a constant war against marmots infesting sheds and out buildings.

Marmots undermine structures with tunneling, defecate everywhere (dissolves paint on wood surfaces), and are host to ticks. Place former offending rodent on visible rock for hawks, eagles and crows to dispose of, with photo to favorite PETA person.

Stupendous photo's Rick: now you see it, now you..... see half of it. What caliber?

11. rick matney

Media:
    Custom ruger .204 :thumb:

12. East Fork

East Fork Active Member

Media:
    Rick, how is the muzzle jump when you pull the trigger on that 204?

13. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Media:
    My guess is = not much. :)

14. rick matney

Media:
    13.7 lb heavy barrelled gun so........basically none. Still have the little bugger in your scope and get to see the impact. I also shoot some 22-250's but can't keep em' in your scope to see the impact,.....that's why I like the .204 and is basically the same amount of carnage:thumb:

15. Chrome73

Chrome73 New Member

Smooth, do you live on the West side of Tekoa? I had a moose permit in 2001 and was driving all around that area scouting with my dad, and ended up talking with a guy on the west side of Tekoa that had a bunch of deer and turkey mounts from his kids and him. Real cool guy. I know he hunted quite a bit in the area and I think in Idaho. God I love the eastside.... Ended up with a decent bull closer to Spokane.

16. Chrome73

Chrome73 New Member

Now I feel bad for hijacking the thread, Chasinchukar, there are plenty of greydiggers on the eastside, but finding adequate areas to get a lot of shooting takes some time, knocking on doors. I knew an area over near Yakima that had tons of sagerats, but they were hit and miss depending on the year. Right now the grass is too high for that specific area, but there are some places near E-Burg that have the (mostly private land). I've been stocking up on 223 for a trip over to Montana for p-dogs, since it's really about the only option for good shooting. WA is to sporadic unless you have some private access. Oregon would be a better option. I've got a heavy 22-250 AI, a heavy AR, a 17hmr, and a 22lr just itching for a trip. Oh, and I've seen the little buggers cannibalize themselves. One gets shot, the others come out and eat it. Recycling, weird stuff.

17. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Matney, I be liking you more and more all the time. I was raised in Elko, NV, and my dad had a gun shop there. I've done away with many a ground squirrel, using pretty much anything including sticks, shovels, hoes, throwin' knives, wrist rockets, bow, pistol, rimfire, centerfires, pistola, rifles, pellet rifle, cars, etc. They can sometimes get really thick. :thumb:

Many ranchers would prefer them shot as opposed to poisoning them (the coyotes, eagles, hawks, etc. eat the poisoned ones, and it's pretty hard on their indigestion system).

Same program with jackrabbits. ;)

18. salt dog

salt dog card shark

Media:
    Prairie dog hunting in washington...DOA

Recent rodent hunt photo.

19. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Lots of ground squirrels in SE Oregon, quite a few chucks around here, but no prairie dogs. I take my 204, custom 10/22, 223, and an airgun or 2 back home to Montana every year for a gopher safari (hunt an old friend's ranch . . . he loses upwards of a dozen head of cattle every year to broken legs caused when they step in a gopher burrow, plus damage to irrigation ditches. Just got back a couple weeks ago . . . it was a blast, plus I caught a bunch of whitefish for the smoker.). I use lots of chuck hair & gopher tail hair as substitutes in a variety of fly patterns.

20. eastwa

eastwa New Member

While waiting for the Grande Ronde to mellow out, we have been chasing squirrels in the Blues:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the site, I have been reading up on fly tying.