Prairie Mountain Lakes

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Old Man, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

Found a new place to go today, Prairie Mountain Lakes. It is in the hills above Darrington on some old logging roads. Would like to know if any of you fine fly fishers have ever been there and if you have did you catch anything. I heard from an old timer that there are Eastern Brook trout in there. Not much bank area,so all we could do is some roll casting. Me and mtlhead. might try it some more when it warms up. There are two small lakes there and we only tried the smaller of the two.

Jim

2. hedburner

hedburner Member

Media:
    Mount Vernon, we're the Sketch in the heart of Ska
    Been there, but it's been probably 17 years or so. But to answer your questions the first lake you come to has some cutts maybe some brookies too. Never fished this one a lot though, but the next one up is full of brookies and some cutts. Brookies on the smallish size 8 to 10 inches average, the cutts will run a little bigger but not much. Lots of brookies though they'll take pretty much anything in the standard mountain lakes patterns. If ya don't catch em on top fish deep with nymphs or attractors.
    Have fun, if you hit the right day you'll catch dozens of the little brookies.

3. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    Ditto Headburner's reply. My last time about 5 years ago. The northern lake was stocked at one time with bows, but I believe they've long since been taken out. Typical small Cutts and brookies for a subalpine lake; get out on a float tube and fish the shoreline logs and stumps.

4. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    The thrill is not in the kill---But to let them go.

Thanks for your answers. Although I've seen these on a map.We didn't try until today to get there. That road up there is something to be desired. It is a good thing that I went with some one as I don't think that I could of made that drive by my lonesome. Fear of heights. We are going to try them again when it warms up a bit and the water level drops a bit. As there was nothing on the surface today. Thanks again.

Jim :thumb