Pram Plans

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Mike (Doc) LaCombe, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Ok folks I am looking for some ideas on building a 8' pram to take the place of my toon. So far I have scoured the internet and found a few posibilities, Clark Craft and Glen L seem to be the best. Maybe one of you more experienced folks have some other ideas. This would be my first build, so not sure if I should do "stich & glue" or "conventional" method. I probably will buy the materials locally vs getting a complete kit.

Therefore any input from those who have undertaken this task would be helpful.

Mike
  2. Mark Moore Just a Member

Vancouver, Wa.
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Try www.woodenboatstore.com, several nice prams available, Also www.clcboats.com.

By far, stitch and glue will give you the very best strength to weight ratio possible in a wooden boat. It will also stand up to the elements much better. You have some great sources for marine plywood and lumber in the Seattle area. The best advice I can give is pick up a copy of WoodenBoat and start reading, they have good on-line resources as well.

Second best advice, buy LOTS of latex gloves.

Good luck.
  3. Guy Gregory Active Member

Spokane, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Years ago, places like Doc Freeman's and the Seattle Wooden Boat store sold pre-made plywood prams as sort of unfinished furniture. Inland here, nobody does. If you look for chandleries, they may have something like that. It's generally less expensive than you can purchase the wood yourself, and for a stillwater craft, you could spend your savings on oarlocks and other accoutrements.

I, on the other hand, have the disease, and understand if you just need to do it yourself. I'm partial to the nutshell pram design, and there's plenty of backup material for that particular design available at the woodenboat web site. Dynamite Payson also has some great info on stich and glue as a technique, and it will make the stronger boat as fyrwood sez. Don't forget cartridges for your respirator.
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    Mike, although I don't know squat about building boats I have an interest. One of my as of yet undone plans after relocating to the PNW is to build a strip built kayak either by kit or by hand. Two things, if you get your plans and are ready to roll and would like some help, let me know. If you to go pram over toon, my second thing is what are you doing with your toon?
  5. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +345 / 3
    Check out this thread on this site. It is several lines down from this post.
    Question: Stillwater rowboat.
    It is a question I asked earlier and there is much good information there.
    Blessings
    jesse
  6. andrew Active Member

Bellingham, WA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Been wanting to build a boat for a 'few' years now myself...however work, family, house, etc. have all conspired against me!

I've been on and off designing a pram that I could possibly take down a river, but mostly use it to fish and hunt from. Big enough for two, a dog, and maybe a small 2-hp motor or trolling motor.

I plan on building it using 1/4" marine grate plywood for sides, and 3/8" for bottom, and glassing the entire boat, not just seams.

Since my design is based off nothing...I'm not sure how it will function, but to me (as an architect) the fun is the design or the creation, building is educational, and the functionality is simply the reward if it works!

If anybody wants to build it let me know I'll finish the cad file with dimensions...maybe one day I'll get to it!

Attached Files:

• Pram.pdf
      File size:
      565.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Joshw Tamer of Trouts

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
  8. Brooke White Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
  9. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Gooogle Ken Hankison he has plans for an eight foot " Drift Pram" that looks sweet. I'm going to build one after the christmas flurry. You don't have to use marine ply, if you coat all surfaces with epoxy.
  10. Milt Roe Member

Taco Ma
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I second the epoxy recommendation. After I fit all of the planks on my skiff, I took it apart and put 3 coats of penetrating epoxy on all surfaces. Does not leak a drop, and the wood never gets wet. Once the epoxy work is done you need to either paint the surfaces or use a good marne grade varnish to keep the UV light off the epoxy.
  11. kjt111 Member

redmond, wa
  12. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Thanks to everyone who provided me with good information. I have found one and as soon as I get it home I will put up some pictures.

Mike
  13. tomc Member

Beyond Shelton, WA
  14. Gorgefly Member

Washougal, Wa.
    If you were going to spend that kind of cash I would go for a Stillwater Classic from Spring Creek Prams.
  15. tomc Member

Beyond Shelton, WA
    Gorgefly, you are saying that if you were going to spend your hard earned money you would rather have a plywood pram rather than a strip built boat for the same money?!!!!
    Deleted
    I have spent more time deleting a sharp reply than I need to...
    Tom C.
    Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
  16. funfisher Fish On!

Suquamish, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 1
    If you want to build the best fly fishing pram around, get in touch with the Port Ludlow Fly Fishing club. They have a design that will knock your socks off. Less than 8 ft long. Built from a couple of sheets of plywood with mostly straight cuts. This boat has a single center mounted swivel seat. You can customize it with oarlocks, electric motor, whatever makes YOUR boat float. It allows you to stand up and cast or sit down and troll. Great boat that a lot of the club members have built and love. They get together every Tuesday morning at 9 am at the South Shore Club in Port Ludlow. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
  17. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    I sent them an e-mail seeking information. I'm still waiting. :hmmm:

Mike
  18. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Here as promised is a picture of my new pram. All that is needed is the hardware and she is good to go.

Mike

[IMG]
  19. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
  20. Mike (Doc) LaCombe Member

Port Orchard, WA
    Ok I've tried twice to add a photo from photobucket and neither worked. Now what?