Pram Plans

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Frank R, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Frank R

Frank R Member

I have been looking for pram plans for quite a while. Most have a slight V-bottom for improved sailing. Very few are 10 feet long with a flat bottom.

I just came across these plans: http://www.jordanwoodboats.com/Watercraft/Scamp.htm

At the bottom of the page is a link to photos of owner-built boats. Quite a few have been used for fishing.

What do you think? A good design for a fly fishing pram? As good as a Smith Brother's Pram?

2. Warren Messer

Warren Messer Member

Home Page:
  3. candr

candr Daryl

Frank,

I just finished up this pram build. I modified some simple pram plans I had and built the boat stitch and glue. I built it out of sheets of plascore 1/4 inch (sides) and 3/4 inch (bottom and transom) covered with carbon fiber/kevlar. I used mahogany veneer on the inside for the wood look without the maintenance and the weight. It's an 11 ft boat and it came in under 100lbs - I can lift it over my head pretty easily. My goal is to cartop it because I really don't like trailers. We will see how it holds up. I made all of the seats removable and it has options to attach a bow mount electric and/or a small outboard on the back. I plan on using it to float up to class iii rivers and also on lakes. I took most of the rocker out of the plans and went with more of a skiff design. With the light weight it should be pretty easy to maneuver without a lot of rocker and I prefer a flat bottom on lakes. Hopefully I will have a chance to get it wet this weekend. I have a bunch of build pics if you want to see more. Good luck with your build.

DSCN0118.JPG DSCN0120.JPG DSCN0121.JPG DSCN0122.JPG

4. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Nice looking pram. Is the casting station Glass and ply?

5. Frank R

Frank R Member

That looks sharp!

You should post these photos over on the Wooden Boat People forum.

Have you had a chance to splash it yet? How does she row?

6. candr

candr Daryl

Patrick - I built the casting station out of 3/4" plascore covered in carbon and epoxy.
    Frank - haven't splashed her yet but hopefully soon. I didn't put up pics on wooden boat people forum because that seems to be more of a traditional wood boat site and my boat only has about 5lbs of wood in it. The plans are modified from Dave Z's drifter and he's on that site a fair amount so I might throw up some pics....

7. Frank R

Frank R Member

I think there is enough wood there to qualify. They don't seem like snobs at all.

I like Dave Z's drifter. I missed seeing it by one day when he brought it to Michigan to go fishing.

8. Dr Bob

Dr Bob Active Member

Frank:

From what I can see in the picture of the scamp, the curve of the bottom is similar to a Smith boat, but hard to tell without more detail. I have 2 8 ft Smith prams. Nice boats and extremely easy to row.

How do you know about Smith boats in Michigan?

Dr Bob

9. Frank R

Frank R Member

I was looking for a stand-up fly fishing boat about three years ago and came across stuff in my searches. I have since bought a NuCanoe Frontier 12 and I love it. A Smith Brother's pram might be nice though.

Here are some photos of someone who built a Jordan Wood Boats Scamp. Is that anything close to a Smith Brother's?

jordanboatsscamp1.JPG jordanboatsscamp2.JPG

10. rotato

rotato Active Member

That's a great looking pram
    Super cherry