Pretty bummed out...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Ratings: +329 / 0
    There's a certain park that I fish nearby my house, I hit it at least once a week and it's pretty much all I hit up between it and another park nearby. I always display my park access card and my other card I received when purchasing my fishing license. One on the back of my mirror and one on the dash.

I just received a ticket in the mail for failure to display a valid discover pass. How can that be, I keep it in the same car in the same place at all times. Maybe the person issuing the ticket didn't look on my dash? It's for $99!!! If I show proff of purchase I'll owe $59. Wth? That's still more then I have! This is so frustrating to me! I always play by the rules, I pick up random trash, I completely respect the whole system and I get dumped on? Friggin' discouraging...

Bummed,

Thanks for letting me vent. :(
  2. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +376 / 0
    I think the state wants one to hang the Discover Pass off the rear-view mirror so it's readily visible to a drive-by enforcement type.

Copy/paste from the state Discover Pass website:

"Using the Discover Pass

[IMG] Q. Where should I display the Discover Pass?
    A. The Discover Pass must be visible in the front windshield of motor vehicles licensed for street use. For vehicles without a windshield, the pass must be displayed in a prominent location on the vehicle. Motorcycle riders may carry the pass with them."

I too have heard stories of folks getting a ticket 'cuz the pass was laying on the dash as opposed to on the mirror.

OTOH, the website simply says "must be visible in the front windshield".

Remember that the pass issued with your fishing license only allows access to posted WDFW sites. The Discover Pass allows access to most other areas such as state parks, wildlife areas, state recreation areas and the like.

I'd take this one to court and see what the judge or commissioner has to say!

Good luck!
    Alexander likes this.
  3. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    What a crock that is!!!! What irks me, the more I thought about it, is that IF you have a Discover Pass, you CAN park at a Washington Fish and Wildlife Launch, but your Fish and Wildlife yellow tag won't let you park at the State Park. I say you SHOULD be required to have a fishing license to park at a launch run by Fish and Wildlife. Why do you get the "extra" right to park at a Fish and Wildlife Boat Launch/Fishing Access? So, I say the Fishing License Tag should be good for State Park Access!!!!!
    Alexander likes this.
  4. Alexander Fishon

WA
    @&$&@)@&$?!!!!!!

Also based on the date and time, I was the ONLY one with a car there, I remember seeing the guy in the park service truck but didn't think anything of it. I was right there within shouting distance with my son fishing off the pier. I had no idea, no note or ticket on the car, just got it in the mail today, got ticketed on the 5th. The person could have come over and asked. Are they so busy? Faak! What's with the stealth ticket issueing? The government kills me, all day long. They can't get their crap right but here they are harassing compliant local residents. Ok, better quit before I pop a vein!
  5. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Larry, wait until the Washington State jack-booted thugs come to take you away!! ;)

I agree with you.

Why not simplify things and make one pass valid for all sites, whether it's the Discover Pass or the one issued with a fishing or hunting license???

Even when I was selling licenses at my marina it was a very confusing system! I won't even begin to tell you the licensing accounting issues I had to deal with!!!

This bureaucratic obfuscation and confusion just pisses me off!! :mad:
  6. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +569 / 0
    So, because of their stupidity, you STILL have to pay $59? !!!!! My veins would be popping too. You would think in this day and age of the great computer/cell phone/iPads they could check your license plate and verify that you HAVE A PASS!!!!!!!!!! And let it go!!!
  7. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    I heard on the news that due to the partial government shutdown the few park rangers working are supposed to *really* enforce the laws and regulations.

Check out this story about two sisters who just wanted to go for a hike: http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/fine-day-hike-leads-blm-fines-red-rock

That just absolutely sucks!!!! :mad:

When the elections come around I'm gonna vote everyone out and put OMJ in charge! ;)
  8. Alexander Fishon

WA
    I know RIGHT!!! Arrrgh!!!!
  9. bugboy9 Member

Ratings: +13 / 0
    Sorry to hear about this. I received a citation myself about 10 years ago at a well known lake. I didn't understand it because my Parking Permit was hanging right on my rear view mirror. Extremely frustrating. I did notice other citations on the windshields to the left and right of me. He clearly made a dumb mistake with mine and was on a roll, so he gave me one. I went to court and there were a number of people that day with parking citations from the same lake. If you had your parking pass and brought it to Court the Judge dropped the citation. Still a bunch of wasted time and effort to be in Court for an Officer's mistake.

The only other time I received a citation was when I was a teenager. We were at Lake Padden with 50 million other fishers and my friend went to take a piss in the woods. Wasn't gone long but I suddenly got a fish on and was playing my fish when his rod started taking off into the lake so I grabbed it not to loose it (It was actually underwater in the lake). When he came back I handed it to him and he landed the fish. The Warden wrote me a citation for fishing with Two Rods.....Heh? Even when we explained it to him he had no mercy.

Go to Court and show both Parking Passes. Tell him honestly where you had them located and if he is good at all, he should just throw it out. In your circumstance I think it is pretty chippy of an Officer or Judge to give you a citation based on the location where you had them. After all, you had both of them up. I would commend you rather than issue a citation. Good luck.
    Alexander and cabezon like this.
  10. doublebluff Go Beavs

Corvallis, OR
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    How about a license plate based system? Granted, one pass for one car, but then all the folks have to have is acell-based interface.

It is really confusing to figure out what passes a person needs where, and it is toughest on the casual user.
  11. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +244 / 0
    Hi Tim,
    Remember, Discovery Pass is for Washington State Parks, DNR land, and Fish and Wildlife land. Our state passed its budget (albeit late) and your state lands are open and as fully staffed as taxes. licenses, fees, and proceeds from the Discovery Pass program will allow. Federal lands: National Parks, National Forests, Bureau of Land Management (BLM) lands are closed because they have only a skeleton staff, primarily law enforcement, under the FEDERAL government shutdown. With many fewer eyes watching federal lands, I don't want poachers, illegal loggers, or thieves of cultural treasures thinking that this is the time to rip off the public's resources. I'm sure that these two folks were just enjoying a hike. But they read the sign and ignored it. And they will pay the penalty. They took a chance and got caught.

Steve
  12. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Some small window decals would be nice, like the oil change sticker or something, that or license plate tabs. Small round color coded tabs with maybe a numerical value? Heck maybe e en a window decal with barcode so it could be scanned for vehicle matching info. Scann it with phone for verification/validity. There are 100 ways to improve this one paper pass (that fades due to UV and nearly becomes illegible) per two cars issue. Seems these things aren't thought out well. First they did not have the two vehicle deal and we were stuck with turning one of our vehicles into the designated going to the park car. Rather annoying when you have a family of 6 and own a van and a smaller that only fits 4. Then someone woke up and said hey, let's make room for two lines on one card, this way both license plate #'s can be recorded on one card. But let's still just give out one card, this way people need to remember to switch passes from one car to the other one in case they decide to take the other car to the park. This will work out great to increase some of our revenue since people may also forget to swap passes to different cars and this way we can hand out tickets. And then why not add a separate pass for the fishing license people...
  13. Alexander Fishon

WA
    I intentionally do not hang both passes from the rear view mirror, this way one doesn't block the other and this way both can be inspected if need be, one on the dash and one on the mirror. They are always there. Maybe I need to make sure that the discoverr pass one is on the mirror and the other one on the dash. But then I'll probably incur a ticket where that one isn't hanging. Ah, I got it, I should install an extra rear view mirror in both cars!!! Yes, this way I can display both passes as illustrated in the picture both not spelled out in the writing as having to be visible in the front windshield. The person probably looked and noted the wrong tag on the rear view mirror and failed to look on the van dashboard for the other one.
    C&CRods likes this.
  14. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Hi Alexander,
    If you were hanging your WDFW access tag, it is likely that the State Park Worker did not look at your windshield for your Discover Pass tag. Your WDFW access tag is irrelevant at a state park; you could have hung a Safeway receipt. They are looking for Discover Passes because that is what funds too much of State Parks these days. I see WDFW access tags used all the time at Coldwater Lake which is federal land (U.S. Forest Service to be precise) and won't prevent one for incurring a ticket. Yeah, this ala carte system of access passes does require us to recognize which agency is managing the land and which access pass is required. This user fee system is the way the world is now.

Steve
    Irafly and Alexander like this.
  15. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    Good idea to make sure that its the Discover Pass hanging from the rear view mirror, instead of the WDFW pass. Seems like since the Discover Pass covers all the territory that the WDFW pass is good for, why not just keep the WDFW pass in the glove box.

By the way, I recently got ticketed for not displaying a Discover Pass. I forgot to pull it out of my sun visor and hang it. Luckily, I found the actual park ranger who wrote the ticket, showed him my annual Discover Pass, and explained that I had a brain fart and forgot to hang it. He told me, "Since I wrote this ticket, I can void it." He then voided it on the spot, and warned me that I might not be so lucky next time, and to remember to hang it from my mirror.
    Alexander likes this.
  16. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    I got a ticket last year for not having a Discovery Pass hanging from my rear view. I thought at the time that the pass that they gave me with my fishing license was the same thing. I was wrong, and did not know it untell this year when I went into a park and show the boat launch pass to the ranger thinking that it was the pass he asked for. At that time he explained the differance to me.
  17. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Government !
    spending everyone else's money like drug addicts.
  18. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    People, demanding services like a 4 year old at a candy store without wanting to pay for them.
  19. Alexander Fishon

WA
    Don't want this thread to go down a wrong street but really the Gov't is jacked up, this is no secret, and so are people in general. Oh wait, the gov't is ran by some jacked up people! In any case, I paid my fees, respect the rules, go beyond the norm and clean up other peoples mess and so this is why I'm pissed! That's all. A ticket on my car or note or whatever would have clarified everything as I would have stopped by the office to show my pass and explain the whole dash thing. But that guy just walked over, saw me and acted like nothing was up, the only car and me the only person there with my son. I probably took down my plate # and did the paperwork at the office....to me seeming like sneak mode. Lame.
  20. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Olympia, WA
    Hi Alexander,
    I think that you aren't is a bad a situation economically as you think ["It's for $99!!! If I show proof of purchase I'll owe $59."] . I expect that if you had not purchased a Discover Pass at the time of your citation, you could purchase a Discover Pass within 15 days and have the citation reduced to $59 (see https://custhelp.courts.wa.gov/app/...s-created-with-2ssb-5622---(2011-legislation)). You already had purchased Discovery Pass and have already described that you had both passes displayed (albeit the wrong one on your mirror). The court should dismiss the citation (but I'm not a lawyer and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express recently).

Steve
    Alexander likes this.