Pretty bummed out...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Thanks. I'm hoping to get out of this. I'm supporting a fam of 6 on less then $20 an hr even $5 is allot of money for me....I have ZERO bandwidth.

2. Catching Nemo

Catching Nemo New Member

Just for clarification regarding some of the posts above: the Discover Pass (and also the WDFW vehicle access pass) is NOT required to be hung from your rear view mirror. It only needs to be visible "in the front windshield." So, I set it on my dashboard.

"Q. Where should I display the Discover Pass?
    A. The Discover Pass must be visible in the front windshield of motor vehicles licensed for street use. For vehicles without a windshield, the pass must be displayed in a prominent location on the vehicle. Motorcycle riders may carry the pass with them.""

I always put my Discover Pass on the dash board. If I hang it from the rear view mirror, I am paranoid that it will fall off (to the floor), and I would get a ticket. So, I never hang it from the mirror. If placed on the dash, there is almost zero chance of falling off. (and I keep my windows closed, so that the wind doesn't blow anything away).

I have seen park rangers inspect my car (Discover Pass on the dashboard) with no problems. I even got a thank you note one time from the ranger, for supporting state parks by purchasing a discover pass.

3. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    Back in Nebraska we would get a park sticker every year, to be placed in the upper right-hand corner of the windshield. You could get a second one at greatly reduced price, to be placed in a vehicle of your choice. They never faded, never blew away, were never forgotten. They came off surprisingly easily, so when you bought a replacement it could go in exactly the same spot. The color changed each year, too, so there was no question whether you were compliant or not, although out here it might be easier to color-code with the month of purchase, like license tabs.

I miss that system.

4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    The state tried the sticker route a few years ago with the WDFW access passes.
    The stickers were yellow with black text. Within months of being on your window the yellow faded to white and the black text disapperared.
    Poor printing or incorrect ink I believe was the excuse the state came up with.
    I'd prefer the sticker as well but doubt it will happen.
    SF

Alexander likes this.
  5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    Took my stuff to court, told them my story. Proved by show and tell that I've had/purchased my Discovery Pass waaaay before that ticket was issued and they scrapped the ticket! Whew! Thank God for good people! Now that money will go towards it's initial purpose.

6. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Fishon good on you. It's good to get a judge that thinks.

7. bugboy9

bugboy9 Member

Sweet! I'm glad it went your way Alexander. Good fishing to you.

8. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    That's a great result Alexander!! [And a cautionary tale to the rest of us that we need to know which agency requires which pass to be prominently displayed.]
    Steve

9. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    when i bought my discover pass i wasn't required to give my license plate at the time of the purchase. kind of tough to have a database with no data.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I have seen, and spoken to many, many poachers this year. It pisses me off to no end that a guy out minding his own business, abiding by the law, gets popped for that while meanwhile blatant poaching continues IN THE MOST EASILY ACCESSED AND PATROLLED PLACES IN THE STATE, and nothing ever happens.

ten80 and Alexander like this.
  11. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Media:
    ^^^ PREACH IT BRO!!!

12. cabezon

Media:
    There are not enough Fish and Wildlife Officers to patrol all our lakes, rivers, and ocean. Often a county may have only one or two officers and they work a typical 40 work week. The other model is the European model where a particular river or lake is owned by a private party. That private party pays a ghillie to regulate the activities on that river or lake. Of course, you must pay hundreds of dollars per day for the right to access those lands and the ghillie is there to ensure that you have paid, that you stay in your assigned area (aka, a beat), and that you are following all the rules specified by the land owner. A consequence of cheap fishing with sporadic enforcement is poaching. You always have the option of calling Fish and Game Enforcement or the State Patrol to report activities that you think are poaching. Our eyes can assist a stretch enforcement staff in protecting our resources from those who would abuse it.
    Steve

13. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    I am all too aware of the plight of our fish and game officers, but that does not change how I feel.

If there was only 2 cops in all of Seattle, I would hope they would be out stopping murders, rapes and robberies rather than writing jaywalking tickets.

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  14. cabezon

Media:
    The person who wrote a ticket to Alexander was a State Parks Employee. They do not enforce fish and wildlife regulations. They do enforce parking regulations on State Park property. And I doubt that WDFW enforcement officers are writing up Discovery Pass violations. Being pissed is well and good, but having a clue is helpful too.
    Steve

15. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    Then fire said employees and use the money for things that actually matter.

Nobody is arguing technicalities with you. Regardless, the principal pisses me off and it will continue to do. Period.

IMO our society is way too good at rationalizing things that just don't add up.

16. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

But, do you miss Nebraska?

17. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    The discover pass will not hang on my mirror anymore. Taking it off and putting it on has trashed it because my mirror bracket in my Tacoma is large. Leaving it on all the time it obstucts my view of the road when driving on the road. And didn't it use to be against the law to have anything in your front window that obstucts your view of the road?