Price for rifle and shotgun

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Irafly, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I'm looking to sell my Remington Wingmaster 870 12 GA for 2 3/4 inch shells or shorter shotgun and my Remington Model 700 30-06 and I have no idea what a reasonable price would be for either one.

The 870 bit of wear and tear noticeable on the paint and it has not been cleaned in awhile, but otherwise it is in great working order. I would also be selling with the shotgun a whole lot of shells. I just don't do the duck thing anymore.

The 30-06 has rarely been used, it looks great and it has a Weaver Marksman scope. It also has a strap.

Both have Butt guards and both would come with it's own separate case.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ira..

2. g_smolt

g_smolt Recreational User

Media:
    While not an appraiser, I used to buy and sell a few guns (pre-2001, go figure). So, take my opinion with a grain of salt, and go get them appraised by a legitimate arms dealer for a closer estimate...but here's what I think he will tell you, depending on severity of wear:

Those two guns just so happen to be the most popular makes and calibers out there...subsequently, there is really not that much of a used market for them, especially the 870.

So. The 870 with "wear and tear" could go for as little as $150, as much as $220, depending upon the severity of wear, as well as a few other things (barrel/choke/rib/chamber/SN). Personally, I would be happy to get $175-200 for a fixed-choke 28" 870.

The 700 is a little different, and I confess that I am more of a scattergun man than a metallic guy...but If I had to guess, I would say $3-400, once again depending on a few more things that you haven't included.

Bottom line is, go get them valued by someone with a lot more experience than you would find on a flyfishing board.

Mark

3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the information and the advice. I thought this would be a good starting point just to get an idea, but I knew better yet someone would end up giving me even better advice about how I should really go about appraising and then better yet even selling these things.

Do you happen to know where I might get them truly appraised?

Again thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.

Ira..

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Irafly,

This isn't to say that your guns aren't good guns, but run of the mill, mass-produced guns are only worth what you can get for them, and the 870 probably won't bring you much- perhaps even less than what was suggested because there's not much demand for duck guns chambered for 2-3/4" any more. If you think there's even a remote chance you'll ever do some upland hunting some day, I'd recommend keeping it. An older Wingmaster is a nice 870 and you'll spend several hundred dollars on a comparable gun if you ever want to replace it. Just my thoughts.

The rifle will have more demand and will bring more $, though that particular scope itself won't probably add any value to the price.

I'd recommend calling a couple of local gun shops and asking if they can give you a value. Don't rely one one opinion though, and don't sell to one who might say, "I'll give you $XXX for them both."

Sam's Gun Shop in Everett is one place you might start. I know nothing about them, just that they're in Everett. Butch's Gun Shop in N. Seattle has been around for a long time and you might also check with them.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I was thinking this very same thing. The rifle is going for sure though. Thanks for the gun shop names.

Ira..

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Irafly, the figures for the 870 are more or less on the mark. 700's come in lots of flavors, ADL, BDL, etc.

If you can get me the model, I can check my Blue Book for you.

The 870, how long is the barrel, what choke does it have, and is it wood or synthetic?

7. reverse spider

reverse spider New Member

When you figure out a price on the 700 pm me I would probably be interested

8. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

You could look at gunbroker dot com and gunsamerica dot com too and see what they are going for.

9. Jon Borcherding

Jon Borcherding New Member

iagree
    Good advice!
    JonB

10. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

you are selling the 870? starting to look for a shotgun and that is the one i like, PLEASE let me know when you figure out a price, i am interested.

11. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Thanks again to all who helped. After a somewhat extensive bit of research and appraisal process, I've found that it is worth (I know it's only worth what someone will pay of course) $385-$425. I'll price it at $360, because I'd like to sell it quick if that's possible. I'm PMing a few folks who showed interest and I'll give them first crack at it before I put it up in the classifieds.

Again, thanks to all who helped out.

Here are a few pics.

12. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

Have you sold your guns yet?
    That is a sweet old 06 and if you still want to sell the 870, I could buy a new one from Bimart for a little more than $200.00