Private Pass, Browns and Spidey Senses

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Irafly, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Browns and I tend to lean towards a tenuous relationship. In fact I once went over 85 fish in a row at Pass without landing a brown. To add insult to injury, somewhere around fish 65 I met a newbie who readily accepted my help to set him up with a chironomid and indicator. He tied up to my pram, I helped him with depth, he cast and two minutes later he hooked up on his first fish ever from Pass and his first fish ever under an indicator. It of course was a spectacular 18” brown that fought surprisingly well. I netted it for him knowing full well that he didn’t have any idea at the time how special that was, for him special equated to a fish, not the species. Ok in all reality there was no real injury but I wondered then as I do now why my brown ratio on lakes with populations of the fish tend to be below average.

So I was a bit more than surprised on Sunday that my third fish of the day was a brown, but even more surprised that my fourth fish was also a brown (one of the largest I've ever taken from the lake). 50% browns? Back to back browns? Absolutely unheard of!

I started my day right off the launch area using a micro leech under and indicator because there was a fairly steady wind blowing in, that I was hoping might concentrated some fish there and it would also allow me to set up my other lines. During my 10 minute warm up and prep, my indicator did jump once but after some other exploratory casts with my full sink I decided that it just wasn’t happening and I planed on not wasting time fishing unproductive waters. One step out of the car earlier at the launch sent every one of my spidey senses tingling and I knew it was going to be one of those Pass days where the fish were going to be happily feeding in concentrated areas and I just needed to find them.

Next I moved over to the West center weed bed, anchored up on the north side where the wind was first making contact with the slope and started casting a leech on my intermediate line into the shore and along the weeds. I was rewarded almost immediately with a strong take but I pulled the trigger a bit late and missed. Good sign though and within a 20 minutes I managed to land 6 (including the two browns) and I missed another 8 or so short takes. The wind started to die down, a family of otters moved over the weed bed and for a bit of time the bite went off. That is until I figured out that the fish had just moved out a bit deeper to about 8’ of water. A few casts into the depths produced quickly for me so I decided it was time to break out the big guns and indicator fish. Flies to depth, indicator down, flies to depth indicator down, repeat. Right before this one of the two guys who had launched their float tubes (Lost Creeker?) right after I had launched my pram moved close enough for me to invite him over to take advantage of the feast. He and his friend also managed to pick up a couple using type 3 lines and olive Hale Bops. The party lasted about an hour before things shut down so I moved to the east shoreline and started working my way down to the north end of the lake. The other two guys left to head to Lone. Now it was just me.

I kept working the tree lined shore, stopping and anchoring every 30 yards or so, but I didn't find fish until I made it down to where it starts to shallow up and the reeds start to grow. I found a few fish close to shore, but for the most part the fish were out in about 8’ of water again. From this point until dark, I just kept probing the north shore all the way towards the ranger’s house and things never really slowed down once I’d find another concentration of fish. Mostly I fished a blackish red leech on my Aqualux, but to be honest other times the indicator was by far more productive once I'd found the fish.

While fishing my second concentration of fish on the north shore, I hit my third brown of the day, 3 for 35 or 40, nice! Once again though on my next cast I hooked and landed another brown and then two cast later another. 3 in a row and now I have 5 on the day. I’ve hit 30 plus fish several times since I’ve been fishing Pass but only once before did I land more than one brown in an outing. What changed?

I intended on leaving at dark, but the fishing at the orchard area stayed consistent after dark for about a half an hour or so before I finally started rowing back to the launch. On a whim I stopped at the first weed bed again to make some casts, and once again the fish were there. I landed about ten more before I finally just reeled in and left.

2. I've had some "private" lake days over here in the basin but I have to imagine it's pretty rare on Pass. What a day!

3. WOW!! Your reports are always informative and motivating. ...............thanks Ira.

4. Ira, very much enjoyed that read! Maybe the answer to your question is simply a higher population of Browns in the lake than in prior years???

I'll be on the water tomorrow, can't wait now after reading your report!

The guy that invented the "Hale Bo"p lives near me. I see him at the local high school football games every year.

Randy

5. It was nice to meet you Ira. I like your system to search for the fish with the sink line then present the vertical presentation. We did make it to Lone lake . I landed 3 and Eric had 1. Added benefit the lake was ours to enjoy. The fish I landed were close to the shore and left of the launch. Used type III line with black hale bob on the strip after sinking to the bottom. All where at 16+ inches and healthy.

Irafly and para_adams like this.
  6. Wheres the pic of the Big Brown?

7. I don't normally take pics, but I pulled the phone out for this one.

Attached Files:

triploidjunkie and para_adams like this.
  8. Hey Fishon61, good to see you on the Board! Sorry I was busy Sunday, sounds like a cold but good fishing day!

9. That fish looks absolutely shocked that it ended up in your net ;)

Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  10. Sunday was a good temp day, almost spring like (though Monday was better). still could not make it out.
    last time out i froze my nards off (tube) did pick up one on a fast strip in the trees just ahead of the weed bed. water is too cold for me to stay out to long. plus drinking more coffee than i need, its a race to go pee. which makes fishing a stop and go (ha) day.

11. Nice work Ira! Thanks for taking the time to provide us with a complete rundown of the day's events. As I read your report, I could easily visualize your overall movement on the lake. I've taken that (string under a balloon pattern) route a few times, but never achieved anything close to that level of success. You knocked the stuffing out of them! Great day, and thanks again for sharing!

As to "what changed?" regarding browns... Was it the calendar? Seems like November/December might be a bit better for browns. Sometimes, you can get that ratio up by using a meaty olive streamer.:eek:

12. Gregg is very close to being spot-on correct. The late Fall through Winter months, Browns put the feed bag on but also are in spawning mode--thus very aggressive and territorial. Also, trout in general can and will be found in the shallows when the weather is cold. Combine the two and you'll find the browns in all the prime "trouty" spots.

13. Whaaahh? Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Multi-posts!

14. The question of what changed was more one of reflection, versus literal. I fish Pass year round so it was not the season, I've have also fished the same methodology for awhile, so it was also not the technique. Browns are a nice change to the pace but I would never turn my nose up at a rainbow. What changed? Nothing, just a few more browns mixed in.

15. Grrr...!

16. Sorry, everyone. Now that I realized the multi-posts, I'm working on it. It's my server: So slow my computer thinks a fail happened.

17. Server issues. Oops...

18. oops. Issues with my server...

19. Gregg is pretty much spot-on correct. Late Fall through Winter months, Browns put the feed bag on but also are in spawning mode--thus very aggressive and territorial. Also, trout in general can and will be found in the shallows when the weather is cold. Colder it is, the shallower you will find fish. Combine the two and you'll find the browns in all the prime "trouty" spots. You might even find them in water less than a foot deep--if the prospect of food with good cover is there.

How do I know this is true? Working from some passing reference I once noted somewhere (something David James Duncan casually mentioned in one of his books?), I took the theory in hand and eventually found myself with some jumbo trout hens sputting eggs into my net. :eek: No, that wasn't exactly how I envisioned my plan working out, but, sans eggs, it was. Pattern used? A big, annoying, chartreuse woolly bugger. It was an "anti-attractor" pattern, and it worked. Strangely, the same pattern worked at Pass Lake when left hanging in the water while I was talking to someone. (Was that Ford Fenders at the time? Damn, it's been a while since I was last fishing seriously!)

Personally, I like stillwater fishing in Winter the best. That's when an Intermediate line really proves its worth in finding JT's. My problem has been me being shipped out during those months. For instance, I'm typing this while in Singapore. Not good.

--Dave

20. Some say that repeating the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. So it's good to know that you were not expecting a different result.;)

Thanks again for the great report Ira. You are a kick-ass fisherman always willing to share your knowledge and post-up a great report.

Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.