Private Property Boundaries

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Wyoforlife, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    If a property owner gives me permission to trespass for any reason related to hunting and fishing I always go back and offer my thanks. I also have been known to return with a small box of See's chocolates as a gesture of appreciation. This was something my father taught me and I think it represents the spirit of respect and being thankful. I imagine a legally fresh killed salmon (hatchery type) would also go well as a gift. I just am not that good at saltwater fishing yet.

Robert Ruark in The Old Man and the Boy said it well "There's more ways to kill a cat other than choke it to death on butter."
  2. Ken Hunter Member

Shoreline, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I always think it's a good idea to be nice to land owners. Sometimes you even meet some cool people that way. That said simple public access to the tidelands affects more than people who fish. It seems to be only Puget Sound that is affected. Our outer beaches and the rest of the United States seem to have laws that favor the general public.
  3. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    Man, you can fish my beach any time you want!
  4. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    A non-property owner will always prefer open access, unfortunately. The major problems we have with open access is that there are those who drink heavily and leave behind the bottles and trash, those who choose to build a fire where none is allowed, and sometimes those who need to relieve themselves and have nowhere to do it but in someone's front yard. It sounds crude but I don't feel like cleaning up after inconsiderate people who feel they should be allowed to fish a beach merely because there is water there. I have always allowed people the use of our beach for fishing purpose only. If they climb the bulkhead which is 6 feet high in most places, then I assume the liability for injury or I have to ask them to leave. Fish if you wish but leave it at that.
  5. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    A friend and I were out SRC fishing yesterday and secured "real permission" to fly fish on 3 different property owners beaches on Hood Canal. We were courteous and so were they. All they asked was that we don't trash their beach and don't take their oysters! We probably secured 1500' of beach fishing rights!!! It was awesome to say the least. Beautiful cobbley oyster beach perfect for cutthroats and good tide action. We are thrilled about the deal! I picked up one beautiful SRC of 16 inches before leaving. :beer1:
  6. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    There you go, LARRY and everybody else.. That's all I would ask as a propertyt owner, as well. I'm sensitive to flyfishers and might question the motives of a gear guy but then the Pinks run only in odd years so only flyfishers approach my beach in even numbered years and in the off Pink time. When the Pinks are here, my beach is a madhouse.
  7. Wyoforlife Dry Fly Purist

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Makes me wonder...

Back in Wyoming, I used to lease a plot of land for waterfowl and upland birds...The replies on this thread have me pondering a lease on tide lands...But then I remember the nature of the SRC and locking down one or even two beaches would be counter productive as these fish are extremely mobile...I guess asking permission on any given day is the way to go and like one thread said, show your appreciation for the access and drop a gift here and there. On the other hand, owning tidelands would be the ultimate and if I did, I imagine the tables would turn and I would become selfish to 'my' beach. Not saying I wouldnt allow the friendly guy who asked permission but for the guy who didnt, he better be running a zig zag back to the truck...Cheers!

The never ending pursuit of rod and reel bliss...
  8. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    the only people that i have kicked off my beach were some punk ass teen girls that tried to heckle my dog
    he ended up treeing them and i asked them to please go home
    i let the local game warden fish cause he is cool
    one year the terminal coho were packed under my shop which is on pilings
    there was a guide with a client wedged underneath going to town but he was in a boat so.....
    you are all welcome to fish here but right now there are no fish to be seen
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    I'm thinking comfortable tree stand on those pilings, maybe a shelf bivy so I've got dibs on those fish the next time they are stacked up. It is conceivable that even I can find a stupid fish or two in a stacked up school. A fish or two is all I need! Might I impose further and see if I can get an extension cord plugged into an outlet in your shop. This looks like the next season can really be shaping up! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  10. Richard Olmstead BigDog

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +786 / 0
    I don't own beachfront or riverfront property, but I do own property that has highway frontage, as do virtually all property owners. Cars whiz by on the road and people occasionally walk by on the shoulder. I maintain the property from the shoulder back away from the road to my house and the back property line. Truth be told, the highway right of way is someplace in my front garden, as it is with most roadside property. Occasionally when I'm out working in the garden a passerby will ask me about my garden and we strike up a friendly conversation. Regularly, I pick up trash left by automobiles and others who use the public right of way. Rarely, I have to replace a mailbox that has been vandalized (of necessity it occurs on the highway right of way) or a trash toter that has been rammed. I've never had an angry confrontation.

Imagine if I were to put a sign along the shoulder of the road at each end of my property saying "no trespassing" and only let wheeled vehicles by on the road, but accosted folks who wanted to walk by on the shoulder.

This is fundamentally no different from owning beachfront or riverfront property. As I understand it (imperfectly, no doubt), public access laws concerning river and waterfront access stem from the days when water was the primary means of travel for pleasure or commerce. No one who owned property adjacent to the aquatic "highway" could prevent others from passing by within what was reasonably seen to be the channel or beach adjacent to their property.

I imagine that most folks who own beachfront or riverfront property also have a road frontage on that same parcel. They probably think nothing of people walking by on the shoulder of the road and only grumble mildly at having to pick up trash along the roadside edge of their property (although they may let the county take care of it), yet some of these same folks will squawk loudly at anyone passing by on the beach/river front side of their property.

D
  11. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    :beathead:You couldn't be farther from the point. I own, in addition to the beach front, 135 feet of State Hiway 509 or should I say that the state owns the property that borders mine. The right of way is a distance from the center of the road and years ago when I had to do a lot combination, I found that most of my driveway that parallels the hiway is on the right of way. People walk, jog, and otherwise make use of that. I don't own it but I do maintain it by mowing it, trimming the hedge that is on it, and cleaning up the trash on a regular basis. That has nothing to do with crossing or otherwise making use of my tidelands. I do own them.
  12. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    Mumbles,
    since i have to run power down to you what scotch do you prefer?
    laphroig or ardbeg?
  13. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Man...you're doing it wrong!
  14. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Steve, just out of curiousity have you ever caught a fly fisherman pissing in your bushes, climbing your wall, leaving rubish around, or anything else that you find irritating?
  15. rotato Active Member

home,wa
    thats true fly borg,
    i generally do things wrong
    but you know
    dogs before ho's
  16. TD Active Member

North End
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    "fly fisherman pissing in your bushes"

Hello, my name is Tim, I've been fly fishing since I was 4, and I pee in the bushes.

However, I don't pee in YOUR bushes. Just those that belong to the State and hopefully when no one is watching.
  17. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +563 / 0
    When ya gotta pee ya gotta pee...what's wrong with that. I live on 2-1/2 acres. I always am peeing outside! I love to pee outside. I have been known to pee along saltwater shorelines, along lake shorelines, along stream shorelines. I love to pee. It makes me feel good. Refreshed. I even peed this afternoon along a saltwater shoreline. When I pee my pants, it might indicate that I am too old to fish. :beer1:
  18. DrCrush Never2Tired2Fish

Port Orchard, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Happy hour has started at Larry's house.
  19. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Atually, yes, I have found people, flyfishers, in my bushes but only once and he was asked to remove himself from the bulkhead, in a tactful way, of course. I will say that there is a difference between a flyfisherman and a guy with a flyrod in his hands. I don't usually have difficulties with the flyfishers and that's why they are welcome. It's usually the gear guys who open their buzz bombs and leave the packaging on the beach or look for an inviting place to sit and have lunch, then leave the remains. Like I said, when the Pinks are in, the place is a madhouse.
  20. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I live in Seattle. Sometimes I go into my backyard at night to pee. My wife shakes her head, thinks I'm nuts. That may be true, but I think she's jealous.

Sorry, it would seem the thread is heading down a road to the cliff...