privately controlled state lands

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Steelworker, Sep 7, 2002.

1. Steelworker

Steelworker New Member

Spanaway, Washington, United States of America.
    Hey all,
    There's a really great thread going at the "steelhead and salmon" forum.(go down to the Washington links area of this site, hit "forums and lists" and you'll find it) Or click here - www.piscatorialpursuits.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi
    The name of the thread is " Trespassing: What are our rights to fish?" by the "cowlitzfisherman".
    I thought it'd be an appropriate discussion here,and thought ya'll might want to take a look at it.
    Larry

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

Having read the post on Piscatorial Pursuits, I can't see what the big concern is. The access road to the hatchery area on the Green River apparently crosses Weyerhaueser property and has been closed to the public because of high fire hazard, a not uncommon situation in western Washington at this time of the year. A similar situation has occurred on the access road to Ebey Lake. The road crosses private property to get to the DNR lands where Ebey Lake lies. The property owners along the road have gated it and have posted it no trespassing. The DNR has an easement, but the terms apparently state that it is only for the purpose of logging and the removal of logs.

The major difference is that Weyehaeuser will, in all likelihood, re-open the road when we get a little rain. The property owners on the Ebey Lake road have no intention of allowing any kind of public access on "their" road. In that case the only solution seems to be to find a way to get to the lake that doesn't make use of the road (which, by the way, was used as a public thoroughfare for at least forty years that I know of until it was gated about three years ago).

Sorry to get a little off-topic but Ebey lake is a fly-fishing-only lake that has a self-sustaining population of coastal cutthroat and we certainly don't have enough quality fly-only lakes in western Washington to give one up

3. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Media:
    After the last thread about Ebey lake I got a email from another WFF.com member. He says there is another way into the lake. I guess the road is a bit difficult, but managable. He also says someone has gone up there and made this road a bit better, using a chiansaw to clear the way. Preston is 100% right, we must preserve fly-fishing only lakes in Western Wa. We don't have to many, so every one is important. Ebey lake does fall into this thread as the main road is under "privately controlled state land". I going to go to this lake and explore the lake. Somebody else was saying on this website they were catching 16' fish in ebey lake. That gets me highly motivated to see this lake continue on a sustainable path. :COOK YT