Pro Tiers, how long does it take you?

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Thom Collins, Jan 25, 2014.

1. the central oregonian Member

Terrebonne, Oregon
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    At my best, I would tie simple nymphs in a couple minutes each...I figured that I had to tie a dozen a hr at the least to make it worth while when I was tying for local shop.

The key to this is a lot of practice and materials prep....It took me quite a while to get decent at it. Usually the first couple dozen of a pattern would end up in my own box, as I got into a groove. Then the rest were worthy of sale. Its not easy to tie a crap load of flies make them look good, make them all look the same, and tie them in a couple minutes.
    I have no interest in tying commercially again.....
  2. johnk Active Member

Tunkwa Lake, BC
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    I will echo the sentiments of several other posters. I don't tie a commercial pattern that takes longer than 5 minutes. It's just not worth it. I am in the twilight of my commercial gig and I look forward to tying some patterns that are more intricate without a stopwatch. I have been tying commercially since '93 and it's been a long road and I find it is becoming more of an obligation than a hobby!

As has already been mentioned preparation is key to tying optimum numbers. I usually bead 10 dozen hooks and cut enough material for those hooks and then everything becomes robotic! No matter how long and how many flies I tie, I still get a kick out of coming up with something new that becomes a very productive pattern.
    FinLuver likes this.