Problem with my Swing?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by jcalderon, Jun 8, 2009.

1. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Damn, I missed the Ditch Pickle thread cause I was in Texas. Yep, catching 'em off the dock in a little farm pond on topwaters. Hell, at least they're not endangered.

As for da Swing? Kerry said it - find fishy water and let the fly swim. I'll only add that you need to develop a "feel" for the right swing tension. Just the lightest connection between the line and rod. In slow water, that may mean leading your fly with the rod tip. In faster water it usually means doing your mending EARLY and following with the rodtip until the end of the swing. This keeps the fly's feathers and hair pulsing instead of that greased-back stiff look you get when you have too much tension on the fly.

And mend EARLY!!! You'll spook potential takers if you keep mending when your line gets to 45% below you in clear summer water. Better to use the length of your spey rod to manage the speed of the swing to avoid spooking the fish.

Damn, now that I'm back I gotta get out there. I've got Steelhead Deprivation something fierce.

Tight Lines!

Brian

2. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    If "the swing's the thing," then evaluating one's swing should be a worthwhile investment of time. Jeremy mentioned something that I wish I had thought to advise people many years ago. To check out the swing, put on a floating line and a skater. It will give you a better idea of how your line and fly are fishing than will a sinking line or sink tip.

A rule-of-thumb about swing speed that I didn't see posted in this thread is that in average or typical steelhead holding water, the speed of the fly coming across the water should not be faster than the downstream velocity of the river. That's a useful rule since each pool, and section of a pool, has a different water velocity. Like most rules-of-thumb, this one also has an exception. In slow froggy water, the fly fishes effectively when its speed across the water is greater than the downstream velocity of the river. A downstream mend will usually speed up your swing in this type of water.

Sg

3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    This is a tip I learned a while back that has really put a ton of fish on the beach. Most don't know what the hell they are talking about when they give advice about swinging, so read closely and then reread at least 10 times.

When you find a nice piece of holding water that some steel might reside, look around for some nice pea size gravel etc. Reach down and grab a huge handfull of the gravel, and then throw it out across the holding water in one big swath so about 500 little pebbles splash the hell out of all the holding water. This will cause those dumb little hatchery fish to come right up on top and sometimes stick their head out of the water to see what the hell is going on. I think it reminds them of the good ol'e days of being fed at the hatchery etc. Whatever the case, it really fires em up.

At this point, you want to take about a 6 ft section of 30 pound maxima and tie about 10 bomber/skater flies on. Make sure they are seperated equally. Then you want to cast upstream of the holding water and let it swing through that holding water. HOLD ON. Cuz those dumb hatchery fish will attack the hell out of those top water bomber flies. Sometimes you will get two on at a time. This is why you need the 30lb maxima.

HOpe this helps. It really increased my catch rate when swinging the fly.

Justin

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

TallFLyGuy...................shit man......you got me sniffin' but I am not sure if I should bite or not........is that a whopper tip or a load of horseshit with a hook in it..........

5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    ^
    The good guys only need 1 pebble! (Teeny's brilliant rock manuever)

6. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    LOL, It is meant to be funny and yes it is a bunch of Chit

7. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

All very good tips and no simple answer, Kerry S. said it well and sounds like he has spent some time with the mentors. I will just add that in the shoot cast put a mend in the line before it touches the water, this is called the reach mend it will give you a greater presentation of the fly in the swim (swing) which I like to have perpendicular to the water flow, this works particularly well in higher flows or deeper runs where you want to get down, you can also add another mend if necessary and as someone mentioned your not pulling the fly with a mend while in the swing, if you get my drift.

8. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    Jesse, come on over to this side of the state and we can go hit the Ronde for smallmouth and get your swing tuned up for steelhead season.

9. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    J- Thanks very much for the offer. I have been hoping to make it out that way this season. is smallmouth fishing an all-summer thing? Or should I make it over in a hurry.

10. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    Any time before I head to Cali in sept should be fine.

11. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Sweet. I definitely appreciate the offer. Im going to make it down for sure. Are you going to be in cali for steelface season???

12. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    Yes for summer runs/half pounders on the Klamath/Trinity, and some other smaller waters around there.

13. jcalderon

jcalderon Member

Media:
    Too cool. I was hoping to fish the rhonde for summer runs this year, as well as the clearwater. We will see what happens.

14. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    When fishing sink tips its almost impossible to swing without some kind of "J" in the line. The faster the sink rate of your tip the more pronounced it will be. This is caused by the fact that your tip is tracking through slower currents below the surface. The faster surface currents are pushing you Skagit head toward you faster than the tip can travel through the water. There are exceptions of course. I make a cast down and across and only mend the floating portion of the head. This creates the "J" straight out of the gate this. I let the setup sink and as soon a tension is applied tip should be at its deepest point during the swing. The "J" reduces lift on on the sink tip allowing it to retain depth better. As you swing comes across the "J" will straighten and the tip will rise. When I first started fishing sink tips I kept trying to keep the whole setup straight I was fishing way to shallow at the beginning of the swing and the fly would sink deeper and deeper as it approached the bank as the current slowed causing me to hang up straight below me all the time. Hope this helps

Brad

15. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Media:
    Great fish you skated up the other day Brad!!

As far as the "J" in your line, you also want it when you are using a floater I believe. Here is John Hazel explaining it much better than I could. At 4:00 he talks about the "J" while skating. He also talks much about following the "belly" in the line a during the video. I'm not an expert in floating lines, simply because I never use one :), but I believe Hazel is and we can take what he says a little more serious that from me.

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ql2OFU5Ncs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0Ql2OFU5Ncs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

16. sothereiwas

sothereiwas Member

Media:
    Thanks Justin. You can get away with a "J" when fishing a floating line in certain types of water. A lot of the water I fish on my local river has fish lying under fast currents and actually having the the line bellied the opposite direction so the fly is held in the faster current as long as possible produces more fish. An inside belly would rip the fly out of the strike zone to fast. I guess when you fish big water with fairly even currents like John you can get away with being lazy when you mend :rofl: