Project "Derilict"

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Dave Alberts, Aug 23, 2012.

  1. Dave Alberts

    Dave Alberts Member

    I've thought about building a pram for several years, but could never find a convenient time to "pull the trigger", until I saw a "project pram" advertised on Craig's List. The guy had started a stitch & glue Glen-l design, and then decided he wanted something different and the hull sat in his back yard for a year or so. Construction was of Meranti Ply with several layers of glass and epoxy, so it was well sealed from moisture, mud and moss... He was looking for minimal $$ for the materials he had into it and somebody to haul it away...so begins "Project Derilict".

    IMGP0669.JPG

    After a good pressure washing the work of grinding, sanding and cleaning up some very rough glass and epoxy work began in earnest.

    IMGP0671.JPG

    IMGP0678.JPG

    After getting the hull exterior to an acceptable finish, the interior work began. The original design had full width bench seats that were solidly glassed and taped in place. I wanted pedestal seats, but was hesitant to attack the task of removing the benches that were in place. However, after some head scratching and research, I discovered the ossilating multi tool...what a neat tool! With the half moon cutter, I was able to cut out the seat flush with the deck and sides in about 15 minutes work! If you don't have one in your shop...you should! Think Harbor Freight!

    Prior to taking the seats out, I put in the diamond gussets for gunnel strength and support. Next came the gunnel rails that had to be bent and glued to the gunnels. Mahogany worked well for this trim. Then came the new pedastle seats.

    IMGP0690.JPG

    IMGP0685.JPG

    IMGP0693.JPG

    Then an epoxy coating of everything, sanding, and fairing, and sanding, and epoxy, and sanding, and more fairing, and sanding some more...! It was a big relief to finally put on the first coat of primer...and then more sanding before the finish coats began.

    IMGP0703.JPG

    And then finally, "DERILICT" is all dressed up and ready for the dance...!

    IMGP0713.JPG

    This was a satisfying project, but if you decide to build your own, I would encourage you to make sure that you have lots of time available. Also, have a few more $$ available than the typical blog suggests you need. Marine products, plywood, epoxy, paint, and hardware are expensive!
     
    Mike Ediger and Josh Smestad like this.
  2. Mark Walker

    Mark Walker Active Member

    Great job, Dave!
    Like the "walk around" set-up. (hate stumbling over the seats)
    Is there storage under the seats?
     
  3. gbeeman

    gbeeman Active Member

    Nice Job!
    GBeeman
     
  4. Hormel

    Hormel Member

    Looks beautiful and validates the fact you can never have too many clamps. Nice Job!
     
  5. funfisher

    funfisher Fish On!

    What kind of paint did you use on the exterior?
     
  6. Dave Alberts

    Dave Alberts Member

    It is Interlux Briteside Marine throughout.
     
  7. Mike Ediger

    Mike Ediger Active Member

    What a great project and final product Dave. I am envious of guys like you who have the talent and time to pull something like this off. Looks like a lot of fun!
    Thanks for sharing. I hope you catch a lot of fish out of her!
    Well done.
     
  8. IveofIone

    IveofIone Active Member

    This looks like it was a great project-turning a sow's ear into a silk purse and doing a splendid job of it. The results speak for themselves, a really nice job. I cant tell from the pictures but are the tops of the pedastals hinged for access to the inside? They would sure hold a mountain of gear and clutter if they are.

    I'll give a big Plus 1 on the multi tool. I recently bought a heavy duty Bosch model and it's first job was to cut 40 feet of 3/4" OSB-overhead! No other tool in the world could have done that job.

    Ive
     
  9. Dave Alberts

    Dave Alberts Member

    Thanks Ive and others... Yes, the pedestals are hinged for storage and batterys. As a "large person" with feet to match, I am always concerned about having room to move around... After pondering the situation for a bit, perhaps with an adult beverage or two, I realized that by putting the pedestals in with the "pointy end down" instead of pyramid style with the "pointy end up" I gained several inches of foot room on the deck. In addition, with the big side up, it is easier to get stuff in and out of the boxes...!

    I plan to be on the water soon!

    Dave
     
  10. Jerry Daschofsky

    Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

    Damned Dave! BEAUTIFUL boat!!!!!!! I think I saw that ad on CL awhile back. I can't wait to hear how she rows. :)