Pronghorn

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Roper, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

It must be the new meds, but for some reason I have a notion to go on a Pronghorn hunt. Now, let me say I know nothing about it. Friends have told me the meat is good and I'll not kill anything I won't eat. It's size seems more manageable than deer or elk and I think would make a nice mount.

So, why am I sharing this? Simple, I'm looking to talk with folks who have done successful hunts and clue me in about what I might be getting into. First off, what caliber is suitable for Pronghorn? What state holds the largest numbers? Etc...

Lay it on me...

2. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

You must have just read the Gray's article.

3. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Active Member

Oh brother!

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

I only hunted them in SW MT, Roper, but I harvested a lot of them . . . a couple with a recurve, but most with a rifle. I preferred a .25 caliber for 'lopers; my choice was a .25-06 with 117 grain bullets, but most folks used their deer/elk rifles, with .30-06 & .270 being the most popular. Something reasonably flat-shooting is desirable, since shots can be on the long side. Antelope that have been run hard can be a bit gamey, but most I harvested hadn't been run, the products of careful glassing & patient stalking. I never hunted Wyoming, but there are lots of antelope in that state, as there are in eastern Montana. We always hunted south of Dillon in the Big Sheep Creek area; I have no clue what the drawing numbers there are like now, however. Back when I lived in MT, this hunt was an annual affair . . . antelope, archery deer, sage grouse, & fly fishing; great times & treasured memories. A good spotting scope is essential.

5. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Montana 700 area used have close to guaranteed tags.... Wyoming has the most antelope. I'd choose a lightweight rifle as you may carry it some distance, or.... you may shoot from the car. My antelope rifle of choice is a .25/06 with a bipod and a 4-14x scope with a rangefinder. I have also shot them with a .243 and a 7mm Mauser. Unless you really booger up the shot antelope don't travel much more than 15 feet when hit. I too used 117 grain HPs as that's what shot best in my rifle.

I've driven roads, spotted antelope and did the sneak on them. That usually works for smaller antelope. I've gotten my two biggest by walking the prairie, glassing and then sneaking on the one I wanted. Longest walk was maybe 2 miles.

Now the public service announcement! Watch out for prickly pear cactus. Do not drive on it nor sit, lean or put your body in contact with it in any way. Driving will puncture tires and sitting on it isn't good either. Sorta unsteadies the nerves for the shot.

6. 2506

2506 Member

100gr NBT out of my 2506 is the ticket. The hunting them part is easy, it's the access to land/drawing a tag that's hard.

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Yup! sure did...

8. zen leecher aka bill w

700 area in Montana has a lot of public and BLM land. The Block Management program is another to thing to look into.

You got a good shooting .25-06 rig??

9. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

You need a traveling companion, right?

10. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Ed, it won't be this year, the Mrs and I are doing Ireland. But next year, yeah I'm gonna gather some intel and see...

11. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

And a guide (who happens to own a scary-accurate Ruger #1 SS chambered for .25-06)?

constructeur likes this.
  12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

No, but I'm leaning towards another Ruger American in .243...we'll see.

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Next year? Even better because I know nothing about everything pronghorn related. The opportunity to consider it would be cool! What are you planning to kill in Ireland?

Roper likes this.
  14. zen leecher aka bill w

I knew where there was a tack driving .25-06 that's the equivalent of a "turn key" rifle. The Ruger weighs a fair amount less.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

A pint a day, maybe two on my birthday...:cool:

16. ribka

ribka Active Member

I have hunted antelope in Montana and Wyoming with bow and rifle. Any flat shooting rifle will do fine. I used a 257 Roberts and a 6.5x55 .

I am buying points in WY and planning to go WY next year. If interested free to join me. I know a rancher in Montana where I deer hunt that will allow antelope hunts on his ranch for a trespass fee.

When I went to WY last time I bought 4 extra doe tags in addition to buck tag. I used a trailer hitch/ hanger to field dress antelope immediately after I shot and skinned and boned out immediately and put meat on ice. A doe averaged about 28 lbs meat and my buck was 46 lbs of meat. Great eating meat if cared for properly. My buddy and I could field dress, skin and bone out in 25 min after some practice

old beat up Buck took in WY
    [​IMG]

17. ribka

ribka Active Member

In MT last week

[​IMG]

constructeur likes this.
  18. zen leecher aka bill w

I've shot two good antelope in Montana's 700 area. One was 15 3/8" on one "horn" and 15 1/8" on the other. The second one was shorter at 14 1/8th on the longest but the gross score was 1/8 under the B&C minimum.

19. Troutrageous

Troutrageous Active Member

Nice! I need to find that issue in a stack of mail.

20. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

I've hunted them in Montana a couple of times, opening weekend can get pretty crazy with pickup trucks running up and down the roads trying to get in front of herds. My Montana hunting partner and I found a few that were isolated from the craziness and put stalks on them. We ranged the first one too far and I shot over it, the second one I took home (doe) and the meat was great.

They're fun to hunt, they have incredible eyesight and the ground usually doesn't offer much in concealment but they aren't the most difficult animals to stalk. If you do shoot one, gut and skin it asap and get it off the bone, into a cooler. Both hunts I was on, the weather was warm so I think the folks who bad mouth antelope flavor might not taken good care of the meat. Then again, Montana folks eat a lot of elk which is superior to almost anything except maybe moose.

I chatted with my buddy in Montana last night, it was snowing in the Rockies and a cold, nasty rain was falling at his home.

I love Montana.

Jim Ficklin likes this.