proper punctuation

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alex MacDonald, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    For all you "texters" out there, who cannot be bothered to employ proper punctuation, and want to shorten every word to make it easier, just remember there's a VAST difference between helping your Uncle Jack off the horse and helping your uncle jack off the horse...:eek:
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,357 / 9
    For all you nitpickers out there, Alex actually is posting an example of capitalization. It demonstrates, for those interested, how the use of capitalization can alter the meaning of a sentence. Punctuation, a critical component in clear communication, has much the same effect.

BOOM!
    Irafly, Don Freeman, Lugan and 3 others like this.
  3. kmudgn Member

Manhchester,NH
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    For those really interested enough in proper punctuation I would suggest reading Eats, Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss. It is a light hearted look at proper punctuation and much more enjoyable than slogging through one of the many "style manuals"
    Irafly likes this.
  4. Jim Speaker Active Member

Mill Creek, WA
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    Alex, your post was one sentence when it should have been broken into multiple. You also used capitalization to emphasize a word, vast, while attempting to explain the nuances of capitalization. There are other issues related to comma usage in your run on sentence that is ended by an ellipsis.

LOL :) (not to be mistaken for punctuation!)
  5. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    The human mind is capable of almost infinite subtlety and precision in composing thoughts. However, written language is a simpler code that strains to communicate that precision. Grammar, capitalization, punctuation and spelling greatly assist the process. Being too lazy to use the shift key or mentally edit your present thought just makes things harder for the reader.
  6. plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +638 / 0
    R u avin a giggle, m8? u guize r 2 funy lol
    BASS_TURDS likes this.
  7. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    Those who tend to be annoyed with textbook grammatical errors often forget that the written word was formed out of the need to convey a spoken language, not the reverse. If one doesn't possess the problem solving skills to decipher what was written by another person lacking the knowledge of traditional and formal rules of English, in my estimation the former is of no greater intellect than the latter, particularly if the matter at hand involves their uncle jacking off a horse.
  8. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +682 / 0
    I'm a slow learner,I didn't graduate from college until is was 47 years old. So to all of you whom I have offended over the years with bad spelling & piss poor punctuation , call the Marysville school board & complain to them about my lack of education. Its not my fault!!!!!
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,594 / 0
    Oh GAWD! The Grammar Nazis are at it again!!!! :D
  10. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +886 / 0
    Inaccurate, Mr. Burmeister! It involved helping one's Uncle Jack off a horse. Or possibly helping one's uncle jack off a horse. I suppose it could also refer to helping one's Uncle jack off a horse, so you see how difficult it would be to get a grip on the situation...
  11. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    When in doubt (comma?) ask Siri!
  12. bigdood fishing hack

PDX, OR
    Ratings: +86 / 1
    If you're confused by the original post you might be from Enumclaw
  13. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    ...And your uncle may be your father....Further adding to the confusion...
    I would also hyphenate the verb 'jack-off'.
  14. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +78 / 0

Two completely different grips are required to perform these tasks.
    BASS_TURDS and 10incher like this.
  15. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,623 / 2
    Like you, poor grammar bothers me way more than it should. It can be painful being us in this day and age.

Lyke, r u tyred of bad spling? Me 2!!! lol
    fredaevans likes this.
  16. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    There is 'Conversational English, and there's 'Business English.' Most can't separate the two. At times it takes a bit of sorting, but I usually get it 'Write.'
  17. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +316 / 0
    OMG u gyz r 2 cray!! 4 rlz!!
  18. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,002 / 0
    Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe
  19. Porter Active Member

Kenmore, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +514 / 0
    Ths thrd scks bg tme! tdys wrld mny dnt knw wht vwls r!
  20. Jack Devlin Active Member

Western Washington, Puget Sound area
    Ratings: +961 / 1
    I would think that your uncle is perfectly capable of jacking himself off. ;)
    The horse.
    flyfool and Alex MacDonald like this.