proper punctuation

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alex MacDonald, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    Alex, was that a throughbred horse or just a plow horse?

I don't know Jack about horses.
  2. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +959 / 1
    I'm bigger on usage than I am on spelling. As a little kid in school I was asked by the teacher to use the word "fascinate" in a sentence. I said, " I once had nine buttons on my pants but I could only fascinate."
    Roper likes this.
  3. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 1
    Exactly, verbatim from wiki.
    Spelling is equal to punctuation in my book. I'm iffy on helping Jack off a horse, in any sense. However, some day I'd like to meet Jim, but I never want to meat him.
  4. steelydan Newb seeking wisdom

Sammamish WA
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Their really isn't enough information to no weather they're horse was in their coral or was scene in there pasture.
    Lugan likes this.
  5. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +408 / 0
    YES THEIR IS.
  6. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,648 / 0
    I can't believe I read all of this dribble. You all ought to put your fingers to better use. Like wrapped around the grip of your fly rod and see if you all remember how to fly fish. We all know that you all know how to sling the shit.
  7. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2

It's "drivel", Jim. Dribble is the opaque fluid leaking out of the corners of your mouth as you age.
    Roper, Ed Call, Jim Speaker and 5 others like this.
  8. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    my favorite posts are the ones where the poster powers through a half dozen or more sentences all in one unending stream of uncapitalized and unpunctuated characters mispelling ever fifth werd its almost like the guy is on crack no wait maybe meth or maybe just brain damaged whatever the case he also usually throws in an lol almost like hes laughing at himself then again maybe hes in his own world i dont know i just ignore those posts lol
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    I wrote it in a hurry. I'm still having Hospital lag.
  10. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +393 / 0
    I think the [citation needed] gives it away....

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G
    The Duke likes this.
  11. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +370 / 0
    Reminds me of the old saw about the elementary school kid who asks his teacher "Mrs. Perkins, what does 'jerkin off' mean?"

Seriously taken aback and after much spluttering, Mrs. Perkins finally is able to ask, "Why do you ask that, William?"

William responds, "Well, in that novel about medieval England we're reading, it says that the Count rode through the bad storm, was thoroughly drenched, entered the house and 'tore his cap and jerkin off.' "

Jerkin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerkin_(garment)

Yeah, I know, a pretty long way to go for a lame joke! :oops:
    plaegreid likes this.
  12. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Fixed it for you.

Coral is something you find in salt water. A corral is used to keep four legged animals in
  13. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    Personally, it doesn't bother me on a forum unless there's an enfilade of run-on sentences and spelling errors. I know most of the rules, but I'm no grammarian. It's journalists who piss me off, especially these ultra-enlightened ivy league elitists, who think their vocabularies and gravitas are too profound for our little brains. They analyze like Einstein and write like Proust. Right. So I get a kick out of all the misuse of words and grammar errors I see from them these days.
  14. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,557 / 0
    Considering the new mode of communication includes the use of abbreviations more than words, spelling has gone the way of the metal, telescoping fly rod.

I don't give a damn how you spell words... if I understand what you're trying to say, close enough for me.
  15. Rob Allen Active Member

Vancouver WA
    Ratings: +367 / 0
    the only thing this thread is missing is the mention of beads and bobbers:)
    dfl and flyfool like this.
  16. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    And you had to bring it up.
    dfl and Alex MacDonald like this.
  17. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +874 / 0
    Deer season hurtles down upon me, like the unseen meteor of the Cretaceous. I scout; I shoot daily; I plan. and I scout some more. I sharpen the broadheads once again, and scout. Fish?? Who has time to fish?
  18. Teenage Entomologist Gotta love the pteronarcys.

Red Bluff, CA
    Ratings: +202 / 0
    Life isn't all about shootin' things, even though I like to shoot things myself. Go steelhead fishing, that should change your mind
  19. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    sounds like you are angry with these elitists
  20. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +874 / 0
    Ya know, I really don't like eating fish all that much (thank God for C&R!!). Red meat now, that's what's for dinner! Can't let the freezer get too low:eek: