Proper RPMs for a dryer?

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by VancouverFisher, Mar 15, 2005.

1. VancouverFisher Lucky if I get out anymore!

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Hello all,

Just a quick question regarding motors used for drying. It seems that there are a lot of different motors out there that run at different RPMs. I have noticed that many of the commercial dryers that are sold don't meet any one standard but vary greatly in speed from 3 RPM -50+ RPM. What are the advantages of having a faster/slower motor? Is there an ideal speed for drying?
  2. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.
    Not to hijack the thread, but if I may piggy-back another question on your post...
    Would a retrofitted BBQ rotisserie motor work for rods/epoxied flies?

THeres all sorts of redneck attachments I can think of for making the spit into a useable tool for tons of little odd jobs and such...that way you could use the same motor.
  3. Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    I am currently using a Flex Coat 18 RPM unit. Good general porpose for applying finish and drying. The lower RPM motors are great for drying. Applying finish with 6 RPM is a VERY slow process, but gives you a great view .. if you don't fall asleep waiting for that full turn. Commercial folks like high speed for applying finish and slow for drying.

I have gone through several iterations of finish/drying units concocted from from rotissarie motors. They certainly work but are in that SLOW rpm range. I bought the Flex Coat unit several years ago befor they got spendy.
  4. Scott Behn Active Member

Lk Stevens, Wa.
    The ones we use here in the shop are 4RPMS... I can't imagine drying your rod on a drying motor that runs at 50RPMS. I can just see the epoxy flinging off like...well, you know...

:D
  5. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1
    An ideal speed is one that prevents the finish from slumping (i.e. too slow) or slinging (i.e. too fast).
    If you're using it to apply finish also, you have to consider what is a comfortable speed for you and your level of expertise.

Mine run around 8 to 10 RPM's and although somewhat slow, it's better than making a mistake...
  6. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    the rotiserre motor works great, used one for years. 4 rpm seems fine for drying but like rich said you can doze off while applying finish. it works though. i have a 10rpm now and it is a good compromise.
  7. Jim Fitz Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I also use a rotissorie motor that I had laying around. I purchased one of those plastic chucks for about $12. Works fine but turns at 3 rpm. I wish it ran around 10 - 20 rpm. I think it would be easier to draw a straight line with brush if it were moving faster. May try to gear it up with a rubber band pulley thing some day. When you want to touch up a spot and it goes by, the 20 seconds to come back around seems like 5 minutes. Can't complain about the cost of the set up.