pros and cons of nymphing with a fly rod?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dragonslayer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. why do you feel the need to insult a whole genre of elitists?

golfman44, sopflyfisher and CLO like this.
  2. plaegreid

plaegreid Saved by the buoyancy of citrus

Media:
    That's an atlantic salmon.

jake-e-boy likes this.
  3. NateTreat

NateTreat Banned or Parked

Using a gear rod and float fishing is going to be ten times more effective than indicator fishing with a fly rod. That's the truth. If you want to hook up three times as much, put some roe on that yarn, and smother is with scent :) If you want to make things harder on yourself, use your fly rod. If you want to troll, you're doing it right. If you want the ultimate satisfaction of a steelhead on the fly, put a chicken on the end and swing it. Like sopflyfisher said, you won't be able to charge as much for a guided trip, but it's worth it.

4. 1d8a75a091441a6f3f5b02e3dc6c16.gif

jersey, Chris Johnson and Jeff Sawyer like this.
  5. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I do agree that well cured eggs will outfish most other lures. The fun is still there, but the challenge is long gone.
    I would much rather catch a steelhead on a fly. Bait fishing for steelhead is an old hat that i dont like to wear that much anymore.

Somebody take me swing fishing! I will leave the roe and sandshrimp at home, ( can i still bring my favorite 50/50 spoon?)

6. 1558420_608615512526067_1624419521_n.jpg

plaegreid likes this.
  7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Dragonslayer,

Assuming you're not trolling, and that's assuming a lot considering your topic, but here goes:

The pros of each method is that each is an effective way to catch steelhead.

The cons are that the guy using the spinning rod is a gear fisherman, and the guy with the fly rod is a dirty ass nympher, NTTAWWT, using the Seinfeld disclaimer.

I've met a couple well known guides who spin fish with bobbers and jigs, and they are slayers of steelhead and think of themselves as highliners, and no one disagrees with that assessment as far as I know. And I know a couple of dirty ass nymphers who can fish circles around those highliners.

So if racking up the numbers was my reason for fishing for steelhead, then I'd devote my energies to becoming one of those dirty ass nymphers who outfishes highliner guides. But it isn't, so I don't.

That's about as much as I know of the pros and cons of the two methods.

Sg

triploidjunkie and Tacoma Red like this.
  8. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    That is the brightest fly I have ever seen. Ill bet this is what it looks like underwater.

[​IMG]

Chris Johnson likes this.
  9. my flies looking nothing like a black man with blonde hair, i am offended

10. NateTreat

This debate gets old, really fast. I don't care how you fish as long as YOU'RE having fun. The reason we fly fish is to put limitations between us and the fish. To put more emphasis on skill and technique than on reeling in a fish. The satisfaction outsmarting one fish, rather than feeding a stringer full is why we fly fish. Swung flies are not going to appeal to the majority of steelhead, nymphing is more difficult than bobber fishing with gear, and snagging fish with a treble hook is easier still. A fly rod is a purposeful handicap that we put on ourselves to make us better anglers. The cast is satisfying. Getting that perfect snap-t right in the zone, mend and SLAM. It's tremendously rewarding.

All of that being said you are not a better person because you choose to fish a certain way. Because you learn and master a different technique, that doesn't affect your character. It doesn't make you a gear fishermen if you nymph, and why should it matter? It doesn't. The guy floating roe and pulling plugs is every bit an angler as the guy swinging a $100 Skagit head on a $700 sage 8wt. The love of angling transcends any personal preference, and I for one see no reason to put down other anglers.

Lex, Josh Stroud, smc and 2 others like this.
  11. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

I tend to think there are advantages to fly fishing over gear fishing at times.

If you want to learn to nymph with a fly rod without indicator and split, look at european nymphing techniques. There are 4 types, Spanish, Czech, French, and Polish. Each has advantages, but if your going for steelhead these methods are literally 3 wts, 5 at the most. Well you can use a 6 wt, not sure how well for steelies though, but its not the best for smaller fish... Now before I get the its gear fishing masquerading as fly-fishing the only thing attached to the line is the fly (or flies outside of my province)

However when I nymph for steelhead I just lengthen my leader and let my floating line act as an indicator, all I have to do then is manage the line.

12. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Media:
    I would concede that a guy floating roe may indeed be a good fisherman, I would never classify him as an angler.

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Media:
    Home Page:
    I can't say that I ever thought I outsmarted a fish that I swung up. Most likely I just pushed through a bunch of water and high graded until I found an aggressive fish that was ready to play.

Go Sox,
    cds

Randall Clark and Ed Call like this.
  14. NateTreat

I don't know why I even try. You guys can beat each other up if you want. I'm out.

15. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

Media:
    I fish with a rod and reel( hook and line).... thats the 'angle'
    I enjoy fishing with rod and reel..... I am an 'angler'

I really enjoy floating roe on the Nisqually near I-5 during King and Coho seasons.

Please dont declassify me bro. ;)

16. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    cool, so now in addition to the swing vs nymph debate, we can debate about the definition of "fisherman" vs. "angler". I think some of you need to find something a little more productive to do with your time (troll...I mean, joking or not)... :rolleyes:

NateTreat likes this.
  17. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    OK, this part I actually agree with...

I'm not sure that there's much challenge in outsmarting an animal with a brain the size of a pea...I suppose that says more about the "angler" (not sure if that term is OK to use now, perhaps someone can start a new thread to debate).

18. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    fishing methods from bad to awesome... with the people fishing awesomely being anglers.
    - bait... fished by scumbags, poachers, and tweakers (not anglers)
    - beads... fished by sexual deviants who cannot decide which team they are on (not anglers)
    - plugs... fished by fat fucks being rowed down a river by another slightly less obese fuck (not anglers)
    - metal... fished by fishermen on the edge of being awesome (morphing into anglers)
    - nymphers... fished by insecure people desperate to join the anglers club (wanna-be anglers with sore ass syndrome)
    - sink-tippers... young skywalkers just learning the force (anglers)
    - dry-line wet fly flingers... almost at the top of the mountain but still sitting under the bodhi tree meditating (anglers)
    - dead-drift dry fly steelheaders... full force yoda's using unicorn tears as floatant (anglers)

hope that helps

[​IMG]

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Dirty ass nymphing is to fly fishing as ground sluicing a flock of ducks is to wing shooting. The latter is sporting. The former is not. Hunting and fishing for sport is defined by tradition, ethics, and restraint. I have greater respect for the guy who does one-armed pushups than the rest of us mere mortals who use two arms. Fishing with blasting caps, dynamite, and gillnets can be fun, but that doesn't make them sporting. Sure, there's a place in this world for dirty ass nymphing, but it ain't at the top of the heap.

Sg

Jeff Sawyer and PT like this.
  20. zen leecher aka bill w

zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Media:

Chris, I do not see a category for those who employ the addition of an indicator while fishing. Please add additional detail to your list.