pros and cons of nymphing with a fly rod?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dragonslayer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    Ratings: +754 / 0
    fishing methods from bad to awesome... with the people fishing awesomely being anglers.
    - bait... fished by scumbags, poachers, and tweakers (not anglers)
    - beads... fished by sexual deviants who cannot decide which team they are on (not anglers)
    - plugs... fished by fat fucks being rowed down a river by another slightly less obese fuck (not anglers)
    - metal... fished by fishermen on the edge of being awesome (morphing into anglers)
    - nymphers... fished by insecure people desperate to join the anglers club (wanna-be anglers with sore ass syndrome)
    - sink-tippers... young skywalkers just learning the force (anglers)
    - dry-line wet fly flingers... almost at the top of the mountain but still sitting under the bodhi tree meditating (anglers)
    - dead-drift dry fly steelheaders... full force yoda's using unicorn tears as floatant (anglers)

hope that helps

[IMG]
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,622 / 0
    Dirty ass nymphing is to fly fishing as ground sluicing a flock of ducks is to wing shooting. The latter is sporting. The former is not. Hunting and fishing for sport is defined by tradition, ethics, and restraint. I have greater respect for the guy who does one-armed pushups than the rest of us mere mortals who use two arms. Fishing with blasting caps, dynamite, and gillnets can be fun, but that doesn't make them sporting. Sure, there's a place in this world for dirty ass nymphing, but it ain't at the top of the heap.

Sg
    Jeff Sawyer and PT like this.
  3. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +968 / 1

Chris, I do not see a category for those who employ the addition of an indicator while fishing. Please add additional detail to your list.
  4. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,177 / 0
    You forgot the most challenging method of angling for steelhead: Tenkara dry fly steelhead fishing - it should be at the top of the list!
    Lugan and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    Pros- If you get good at at, you can catch a few fish.
    Cons- You have to cast that crap.
  6. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0

LOL. That is just some funny (with lots of truth in it) stuff right there... I don't care who you are.
  7. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    He who tenkara dry fly steelhead fishes is the hipster king

[IMG]
  8. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    indicator fishermen need three arms to do a pushup
  9. Peyton00 Active Member

Puyallup, Wa.
    Ratings: +297 / 0
    Oh man, i like your sense of humor.

I have what some ladies consider to be a third leg... but thats only helps in the bedroom.:D
  10. Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    my dick is bigger because I only swing......fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck this thread comes up 5 times a winter

Carry on arguers...
    triploidjunkie and NateTreat like this.
  11. Red Arch Active Member

Lower Mainland or Interior of BC
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Define your definition of nymphers.
    Is it putting a nymph underneath a strike indicator with split to sink it?
    Is it a tight line strategy where there are only flies on your line?
    Is it a dead drift strategy where your using the fly line as an indicator with no splits or indicators?
    Or do you classify nymphing off of a floating line as a dry-line wet fly flinger?

Oh and I would say that if you are using copiuos amounts of floatant that is not the peak as you are "adding" to your fly in an effort to keep it from sinking.
  12. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    so your saying i'm not an angler because i use two drops of gink to your one drop......

how dare you say there's a difference in using two drops vs. one. are you some kind of elitist scumbag?

if it is legal to use floatant and we're all having fun what does it matter to you?

;)
    triploidjunkie and Chris Johnson like this.
  13. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +319 / 0
    I just cant wait for the thread when the CDC guys to pick apart the guys using synthetic, and call them out as non-fishermen..
    Travis Bille and triploidjunkie like this.
  14. NateTreat Banned or Parked

Lynnwood, Washington
    Ratings: +33 / 0
    This is truly pathetic. If you're being serious, you're just a jerk. These topics are why I can't stand a lot of guys that only fly fish. They're not nice people. I know part of this was said in jest, but seriously. If you think it's okay to call others this kind of garbage, than you need to take a look in the mirror. It doesn't make you a better fishermen, it makes you a bad person.
  15. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +593 / 0
    Almost to page 5.
  16. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +1,006 / 0
    Page 8 on phone app.

[IMG]
  17. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +185 / 0

lol, it helped immensely...

although, I'm a little confused as to what category one would be if they dead drifted floating beads only...a sexually confused yoda?
  18. Red Arch Active Member

Lower Mainland or Interior of BC
    Ratings: +34 / 0
    Your missing the keyword of peak, as in supreme form of angler etc for using copious amounts of floatant rather then changing flies up or allowing them to sink from wqter saturation. Or even tying foam into your fly so it is part of the presentation, aids flotation and allows it to skate.

Elitist scumbag? I would call that flamebate considering I was commentimg on the break down of the "angler ladder" I think is rubbish because it seperates fly fishers based on what they are willing to try depending on conditions.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk
  19. Chris Bellows The Thought Train

The Salt
    high praise from low places.
  20. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +719 / 2
    If a fly has foam in it, is it really a fly?