pros and cons of nymphing with a fly rod?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dragonslayer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Freestone for the win!

2. Is this the right place for me to ask if using a Skagit line is truly spey fishing, or must I use a scandi or long belly?

Randall Clark and triploidjunkie like this.
  3. I got a laugh out of this as it's so true. I can't tell you how many shots I see from guides on the Peninsula or Klickitat that are obviously hiding the bead and bobber setup like it's some sort of illegal contraband. It's always fun to envision them scrambling around to hide everything while composing the shot. To the uninitiated, they probably think all these fish are being swung (and despite your leanings, let's face it, a swung fish is a much more memorable event). These days I just assume all the glory shots from a large subset of guide outfits are bobbered unless there is overwhelming evidence indicating otherwise. I'm not incriminating the practice, but trying to mis-represent what your clients are doing to catch the majority of their fish is bothersome.

4. double taper lines are at the summit of accomplishment... long bellies are just skagit lines for those who can truly spey cast.

5. shhhhh.... don't mention the dishonesty within the industry. promise graceful spey casts and deliver windshield wiper casts... clients won't know the difference and will believe you when you tell them conditions are not right for swinging or they're just fishing the non-swinging water.... all the way to the takeout.

6. there should be a legal mulligan so you can kick the crap out of people like that. it is one thing to be unaware of properly handling a fish, but justifying it because you are in the "industry" should be an ass-kickable offense.

7. That's always a good one. Another of my favorite glory shot styles is the individual with about 5 pounds of Intruders, Fish Tacos, Hobo Speys, etc. hanging from every attachment point on his equipment...looks great in a glory shot...you just have to be able to overlook the fact that none of them have ever touched the water. They drove to the put-in with their spey rods on the hood of their truck and then locked them in the back and grabbed their indicator setups from inside when they put the raft in that morning.

David Dalan likes this.
  8. I think where this debate always gets out of whack, is the absolutes people post. This is an example, the author is trying to state that we should all feel that a swung fish is a much more memorable event. Quite possibly for him it is but the assumption that it is for everyone is in my opinion wrong. I for one can tell you that my most memorable steelhead was not taken on the swing and neither are my top say 25 memorable steelhead (although the last one I got on the swing a couple of weeks ago is memorable but only in the sense that I purposely re-tried swinging and for me the memory I have is that I didn't like it as much as indicator fishing?.

I think if we stated things based on our own preference without any blatant inference we could all just stop bickering (let's not though, because the bickering leads to 356 fs and that is just fun and an alliteration by the way not an onomatopoeia [which is a word that when read mimics the sound it is representing, like moo or meow or crunch]). F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F F FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

9. Memorable is a funny description. I mean, if anyone went out and screwed a 300 lb woman (or man) it certainly would be memorable.

Go Sox,
    cds

10. The fact that you have caught so many steelhead that you have a top 25 makes me sick. I am going to go kill myself now.

11. Usually there is enough tequila involved in that scenario to not remember much of anything.

Edit: So I've heard, anyway.

Mountain Man likes this.

12. Oh that was just one day! ;)

Ed Call, triploidjunkie and Freestone like this.
  13. Ira,

I heard tell that the memorable day you mentioned above wherein you caught 25 steelhead was accomplished as you sat in your truck listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony whilst using mind control of the rod and reel.

14. If any section of your fly line is thicker than any other section of your fly line...you're a Neanderthal and might as well plunk with a hoochie, spin-n-glow and sand shrimp.

:D

Lugan likes this.
  15. Swinging requires more hope, more faith, more luck, less thought, less skill and less fish.

16. This 300# man would have given them a screwing they deserved. Rod? In river. Camera? In river. Don't like it? You can swim too.

Aww who am I kidding. I'd just slash tires and go home. Less work.

17. Funny you should say this. I just binged watched the first three Skagit Master DVD's.

Scott Howell would say your doing it (swinging) wrong then. I love his comment about cast, mend step robots v people who catch fish on the swing. I bet he made lots of friends, and I bet he didn't give a shit like a Honey Badger.

I'd buy him a beer. I like that guy.

18. What amazes me most is how much hypocrisy there can be from some of the members of an internet fly fishing forum.

What amazes me is how many times someone will chime in with a comment that stirs the pot that simply could be avoided by that human using his/her own free will NOT to enter the thread of controversy or even if lacking the will power not to enter, to simply NOT reply to said thread. Simply amazing.

What amazes me that Derek and I toss out some kick ass F'ing verse only to get totally and utterly obliterated by Freestone who proves, yet again, that she is exponentially more talented than Mumbles, who trails Derek by miles and miles. Humbled, yet again.

19. DanielOcean, you lost your opening bet. Page six, some terse posts and drifting of civility, but every now and again, one thread has to be sacrificed to the whims of winter whiners that won't let their minds expand.

Eyejuggler likes this.
  20. I respect an asshole that knows they're an asshole. You're an asshole and think it's just a misperception.
    True words of wisdom, thanks PT.

Pleasure is in the fishing, one should not judge how another pleasures themselves.

Lex likes this.