pros and cons of nymphing with a fly rod?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dragonslayer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Did you end the day by screwing a 300 lb mammal of any sort?

Go Sox,
    cds

2. Man I missed a lot today, I really shouldn't have taken off 9 hours from the site. This thread really got cookin.

Nate u need to realize that a lot of guys are going to disrespect u here. Your lack of on river etiquette I have witnessed first hand. Also people view you as the Gary ridgeway of steelheading

It's plain and simple swinging up a fish is always gonna trump all other methods for those who are dedicated steelheaders

3. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

HEY LEAVE MY MOTHER IN LAW OUT OF THIS.

Ed Call likes this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Again with the absolutes! I disagree Evan, but I would agree that for you it trumps all other methods. It does no such thing for me. Been there done that and it didn't trump crap for me.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Nope, closer to 6 times that combined. images.jpg

6. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

I think this is actually my biggest dig with many folks is them attempting to tell ME what I like most.

7. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

This thread is getting weird. And awesome. Should I infer from this that David Dalan is Danielocean's mother?

Ira, you should try swinging for trout on stillwater, it's absolutely better than that silly bobber watching you do.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  8. Lex

Lex Active Member

I don't know why I read these threads or how they reach 7 pages. Why does this continue to come up? Just go fishing for fucks sake. Who cares what others think between the pros and cons of swinging vs nymphing. Grow a backbone and do what makes you happy and don't ask these guys what they think. Unless your a troll and enjoy seeing a bunch of guys with too much time on their hands get all worked up.

Nice work, Freestone. You made it worth wading through this garbage.

Good luck,

Lex

Freestone and Ed Call like this.
  9. CLO

CLO Boats and cohos

But seriously,

pros: good presentation to fish
    cons: a little harder to cast

THAT'S IT

triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. dragonslayer

dragonslayer New Member

This thread was never about swinging vs nymphing, rather what merit nymphing with a fly rod has over nymphing with a spinning rod. Thank you to the 3 people who actually read and responded to the original post. Definitely not a troll here, I actually prefer to fish the swing. I feel like being able to fish multiple disciplines makes me a better spey fisherman and better at understanding and locating steelhead.

In other news I went to the video premier of "Hatchery and Native" last night in Portland, I believe it's up on their site now.

Irafly and Randall Clark like this.
  11. Randall Clark

Ok, to answer the OPs question. For me, there really aren't too many cons, except that [for me] it's more difficult to get really really long drifts & get good drifts in slots that have several different currents speeds between the angler (that part is due to my own preference for shorter glass rods = less line control on the water). For me the pros are that I never get bored fishing with an indi/nymph combo. I like being able to sneak up on potential fish holding areas and then catch fish a rod length or two out, that's fun...much more fun than just swing, step, swing, step, repeat 500 times [for me]. I never have a problem casting my setup because I don't use much weight and I rarely use extra split shot...I carry it with me if I want to try to pull a fish out of a really deep slot, but that's where my choice of flies come in. I typically fish various wooly bugger style flies tied very slender and with small tungsten beads or eyes on them. This combination allows for them to sink very fast but without too much weight where it makes casting difficult and they're not dragging in the stones. They are also very good when they swing up to the surface. I also happen to be a visual person, hence the indicator and watching that thing dive is fun [for me]. Don't get me wrong, I also enjoy watching fish hammer offerings that are at or close to the surface so I'll swing dry-line and skaters on occasion as well (usually occurs if I've either not caught anything, or have caught a couple and just feel like experimenting). I enjoy the challenge of trying to get a good drift with a fly rod in water that makes it difficult to do so...whether it's positioning myself or throwing in the extra stack mend, doesn't matter. That's why I like it.

Cheers

dragonslayer likes this.
  12. dustinchromers

dustinchromers I'd rather be slaying chromers

Dude, I totally walk around with heavi bead leaders hanging from my fly patch. I had my mom stitch one of those to the chest of my black leather jacket.

13. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Danny? Is that you son?

14. what kind of water repellant do u run on the leather jacket? just wondering nik wax?

15. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

MOMMY!!!!

David Dalan likes this.
  16. Red Arch

Red Arch Active Member

17. Randall Clark

or trying to prove how "cool" you are by a) leaving the your "swung" fly in the corner of the mouth for the glory shot that took you 5 minutes to get just right, and b) stating very clearly in your report that "I SWUNG this fish up the other day..." :rolleyes:

Freestone likes this.
  18. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

It only took me 30 seconds to set my fish up for that shot, I take offense! :rolleyes:

FYI WFF, Randall Clark is aware of this because I think he might be a bit experienced in this practice, I say take every thing he says with a grain of salt.. In my opinion you should be the most skeptical of the skeptics.

19. Randall Clark

Tongue in cheek, based purely on some of the ridiculousness I see posted.

It always comes down to the same bullshit being flung (admittedly, I get sucked into it on occasion) from two distinct sides of the equation, it is usually started by the same side (hint: not the nymphers). Only serves to create a divide among anglers. It would be nice if, for once, a steelhead thread could not sink to those depths. Too many keyboard tough guys I guess...

Btw, earlier comment wasn't directed towards you, Irafly.

20. Steelie Addict

Steelie Addict New Member

Just curious here, but what kind of fish is a spey fish. I assume that a spey fisherman must be fishing for speys.
    SA