pros and cons of nymphing with a fly rod?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by dragonslayer, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Monroe
    Ratings: +573 / 0

MOMMY!!!!
    David Dalan likes this.
  2. Red Arch Active Member

Lower Mainland or Interior of BC
    Ratings: +31 / 0
  3. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +180 / 0
    or trying to prove how "cool" you are by a) leaving the your "swung" fly in the corner of the mouth for the glory shot that took you 5 minutes to get just right, and b) stating very clearly in your report that "I SWUNG this fish up the other day..." :rolleyes:
    Freestone likes this.
  4. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

It only took me 30 seconds to set my fish up for that shot, I take offense! :rolleyes:

FYI WFF, Randall Clark is aware of this because I think he might be a bit experienced in this practice, I say take every thing he says with a grain of salt.. In my opinion you should be the most skeptical of the skeptics.
  5. Randall Clark Active Member

Orygun
    Ratings: +180 / 0
    Tongue in cheek, based purely on some of the ridiculousness I see posted.

It always comes down to the same bullshit being flung (admittedly, I get sucked into it on occasion) from two distinct sides of the equation, it is usually started by the same side (hint: not the nymphers). Only serves to create a divide among anglers. It would be nice if, for once, a steelhead thread could not sink to those depths. Too many keyboard tough guys I guess...

Btw, earlier comment wasn't directed towards you, Irafly.
  6. Steelie Addict New Member

Kirkland WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Just curious here, but what kind of fish is a spey fish. I assume that a spey fisherman must be fishing for speys.
    SA
  7. Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Ratings: +1,170 / 0
    A Spey fish is a fish that can only be caught at distances of 100' or so - because that's how far they swam away after being spooked by all that spey casting ruckus!
    Travis Bille and triploidjunkie like this.
  8. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Ratings: +711 / 2
    An indicator fisherman can become a good swinger faster than a swinger can become a good swinger. Catching fish helps you learn where they are. Once you learn where they typically hold, after putting quite a few under your belt, you can learn how to get her down, keep her down, and bring her across nice and slow to start catching fish.
  9. CLO coho where are you?

Seattle
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    I sometimes swing the nymph after the bobber drift :eek:
  10. sleestak240 Member

WA
    Ratings: +46 / 0

You speak the truth; the best swingers I know learned to fish for steelhead on bait and spoons before they ever picked up a two hander.
    PT likes this.
  11. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I struggled with learning how to flyfish for PNW winter fish. I had nymphed many up in the great lakes, but struggled here. I only really got better once I fished with couple others and watched them, and watched them catch.

There also is an important distinction to be made between summer fish and winter fish, and to a lesser extent wild and hatchery. With the closure of the PS winter rivers, I travel to fish wild summers more and more. The visual aspect of floating line and dry flies really lessen the learning curve.

There is an increased amount of positive reinforcement with the strikes that you see with floaters that you likely never feel with tips. This lets you know where they live. Additionally you learn a lot about how to slow down your fly when you watch it wake accross.

Anyhow, continue bashing swingers. I just thought there was a bit more to it thatn you all make it out.

Go Sox,
    cds
  12. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    No bashing. I've seen many anglers go from drift fishing to swinging and be proficient immediately. I've seen none that picked up the 2 hander and had a clue where they'd find their first fish. I had a few hundred under my belt before ever buying my first 8100 RPL.

Also, the only times I've glo bugged was very specific pieces of water that couldn't be swung. I'd take the 5 minutes to switch just to see if I was right. Fishing that water was only to verify my suspicions. Then it was time to move on.
  13. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +986 / 0
    If you aren't throwing beads you aren't trying.
    dustinchromers likes this.
  14. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    It's true.. Being able to cast doesn't mean you know how to fish..
  15. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Sorry PT. I was being pissy.

Go Sox,
    cds
    KerryS and PT like this.
  16. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1

It wasn't, bummer I had taken you off of the list of members I would fish a run with. Ok now your on the list again.
  17. dustinchromers president: Slayers Club

Barton, OR
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    I rope chromers on the swung fly and then swap out a bead for the glory shot
    Irafly, Evan Virnoche and golfman44 like this.
  18. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    What's a baitcaster ?
  19. PT Physhicist

Edmonds, WA
    Not a spinning reel. A levelwind or reel you'd see being used in the BassMasters.
  20. Evan Salmon Member

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Sorry, was being a wiseass. Thought I'd get a lot of "Bubba" references.