NFR Protecting Seniors From Fraud

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mark Yoshida, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

FYI
    This happened to my mother last week. She is 86 and usually pretty sharp, but was conned out of $4000. Not sure why she did not contact me first, but she didn't. Never would have ever thought she would fall for this crap.
    The person in (get this) Bolivia said he was my son in a car accident and need it for car repairs or go to jail.
    I found this in the Seattle AG office website.
    It was exactly what happened.

Mark

Relative in Need Scam

This scam usually starts with a phone call from a con posing as a grandchild in urgent need of money. Other victims have reported receiving phone calls from scammers posing as police officers or attorneys. In every case, the con says money needs to be sent immediately by Western Union or Moneygram.

RED FLAGS:

You’re asked to send money quickly – and secretly.
    The call or message originates from overseas. However, you should be aware that technology allows scammers to bypass caller ID systems.
    The person can’t or won’t answer questions that the only the real person would know.
    Any time someone asks you to send money by Western Union or Moneygram, it’s invariably a scam. You might also be asked to send a check or money order by overnight delivery. Con artists recommend these services so they can steal your money before you realize you’ve been cheated. Money transfers can be picked up at any service location as long as the thief/recipient has the confirmation number.
    TIPS:

Avoid volunteering information over the phone. Always ask callers to identify themselves by name and ask individuals who contact you to provide information that only you and people close to you would know.
    Call the friend or relative claiming to need your help to confirm whether the story is true, using a phone number you know to be genuine. If you aren’t able to contact the person, call other friends or family members to confirm the situation.
    Refuse to send money via wire transfer.
    If you have wired money and it hasn't been picked up yet, call the wire transfer service to cancel the transaction. Once the money has been picked up, there is no way to get it back.
    Trust your gut.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Ouch.

3. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

That has been going on here in Virginia for some time now and about 75 people have fallen for the scammed and were out thousands of dollars. It has been in the news, the newspaper and still people are falling for it. It is ashame that most are grandparents on fixed incomes thinking it is a grandchild. What a bunch of lowly pond scum.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Mark, sorry to here of this. No doubt these scams are growing by the minute. One of my colleagues at work had the same same thing happen to his mother last month (his nephew in this case). When my mother was still alive, I was always worried about this kind of thing happening -- especially when she started getting signs of dementia. Perhaps the fact that she never got into computers and the internet was in many ways a blessing.

Preying on anyone in this manner is bad enough, but to do so on older folks in more vulnerable state of life is the work of scum bags. :mad:

5. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

Mark, sorry to hear your mother got scammed. What a shame!

Thanks for posting this as a warning to others.