Protection for Wooden Pram bottom

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by gofish101, Feb 8, 2013.

1. gofish101

gofish101 Member

My pram has 3 runners ( not sure if that's the correct term) on the bottom and I was wondering what you folks are using as a coating for protection against scuffs from coming ashore. I currently have the bottom and runners painted with Interlux Brightside Polyurethane. I was thinking maybe a clear-coat or shellac on the runners may help prevent yearly re-coating. I will attach some pics when I get a chance.

2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Brass quarter round works great. Other options would be a sacrificial wood strip or some UHMW.

Shellac is for indoor use only so stay away from that. If you're thinking varnish then you might get some small protection from some of that.

3. gofish101

gofish101 Member

Thanks I wasn't sure which one would be best. I was thinking of wood or a thin strip of aluminum on each but was trying to avoid drilling into them.
    I've added some pics to show everyone how it gets after use. The black stuff is from the bed mat in my truck
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

4. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

Media:
    I have been using stainless steel flat stock on abrasion prone areas. Counter sink stainess screws flush and bed with 3M5200

Patrick Gould likes this.
  5. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

I really don't know much about boats, but would it be out of the question to coat the bottom with Line-X or Rhino-Liner?

6. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Hey go fish, your pram looks pretty close to the one I built! I have three runners that I glued Formica strips onto. It's been seven years, 195 trips in my pram now and I still haven't replaced them! I carefully pull it up on concrete ramps, rocks and it's held up so far. At the stern end, it gets the most abuse/wear so I use JB Weld on the ends, tuff stuff! Easiest and cheapest way I've found so far...give it a try.

7. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I have thought about that as well but the wieght it adds has me concerned and I like blue bottom... although I only see it when it's being stored.

8. gofish101

gofish101 Member

Hi Steve. I don't mean to be a pain but I do have a few questions. Did you strip to the fiberglass cover on runner or glue over paint? What type of glue would I be looking at, and is there any reason you used Formica over other laminates? I like the idea.

9. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

I attached the "plastic laminate" (I just called it Formica) over painted runners. Use contact cement for gluing. You can glue over fiber glass too. I glassed the entire bottom of my pram and up about six inches on the sides. Then I screwed the runners on from the inside of the pram, painted and then applied the laminate. If you can find some laminate scraps, get a carbide tipped scrolling tool and cut several strips, like I said I'm still using my first ones! Hope this helps, any other questions be glad to help!

gofish101 likes this.
  10. Rob Hardman

Rob Hardman Active Member

Formica and Wilsonart, I'm sure among others, also make phenolic backed metal HP laminate. It's pricier, but might be even more durable.

11. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

It was Wilsonart now that you mentioned it...

12. gofish101

gofish101 Member

I think we have a winner, I will give that a try. Thanks for all the info Steve.

13. Steve Kokita

Steve Kokita FISHON206

Let me know how it turns out. I've been posting with an iPad, our computer is toast. When we get a new Pc I'll send you a picture of my pram. Hope to see you on the water sometime!

14. Frank R

Frank R Member

Avoid aluminum. It tends to be "sticky" on hard surfaces.

15. Milt Roe

Milt Roe Member

I used 3/8 x 1 1/2 oak strips on the bottom of my skiff, counter sunk and screwed on so I could replace them if need be. They run parallel to the keel so they don't create drag. Also put an oak cap on the cedar keel for a total of 5 strips. They have worked fine, although I don't drag the skiff up concrete boat ramps (back the truck down to the water) and I use reasonable care pulling it up the beach to avoid barnacle crusted rocks. I have wheels on a simple wood frame for overland transport. With two people, we just carry it.

16. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Shellac? Thats not really an outdoor coating. Why not use resin?

17. gofish101

gofish101 Member

Actually I wasn't sure if shellac or clear coat would be any good. I haven't had much experience with applying resins. But have decided to go with a laminate cover on the runners. Just have to wait until it warms a bit. As soon as it's on I will post some pics and keep you updated on how it works out.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

18. Patrick Gould

Media:
    Epoxy won't really adhere to Brightsides Polyurethane.

19. Bradley Miller

Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Hm. What does? Shellac isn't the answer.

20. Patrick Gould

Media:
    I think he has to go with the advice in the thread. Some wood, plastic or metal strips.