PSA: Frozen Lakes-part deux

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Rob Hardman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    As a follow up to Mark Yoshida's post last week, RSL is still frozen over. As is Alice. And Beaver.
  2. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    So was Desire!
  3. Rob Hardman Active Member

University Place, WA
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    Good to know. I almost hit Desire on my way home from striking out at the other ones today.
  4. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +415 / 0
    I want the rain back so we can have some more ice free water!
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +544 / 0
    I haven't been by there recently, but one year after a series of cold days similar to this, I noticed an expansive, but thin, sheet of ice on Hood Canal between Potlatch State Park and the mouth of the Skokomish River. I guess the fresh water sitting on top of the salt water froze up.

I'm sure that Narwhalsawzall is at least partially iced over. Now might be a good time to note the spots with open water...those might be where the springs are located.;)
    jimmydub likes this.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,030 / 1
    If you really want to know.... Moses Lake is frozen. We have ice fishermen.
  7. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +335 / 0
    There was an ice skater on the pond behind my office yesterday. And someone was ice fishing it last week.
  8. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +182 / 6
    My "desire" to fish has been frozen also. It's just too darn cold out there!:eek:
    I know, I'm a wimp.:(
  9. dp ~El Pescador

.Renton, Wa
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    I live right down the street from Desire (assuming same Desire that is off Petrovitski). Is it productive this time of year? I've fished it in the past in early summer and caught planters on a Carey Special.
    Am I missing something right underneath my nose?
  10. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    No its frozen right now, like completely(or last time i looked out the window before the fog it was), and it didnt really do well at all this year. There were a couple groups of people out there everyday for 6-8 hours after the plantings just pulling fish out of the water, cleaning them, and putting them in a bucket. It was like watching a fish gutting production line.
  11. Steve Kokita FISHON206

Burien, Washington
    Ratings: +146 / 0
    Kcahill, do you fish Desire in a drift boat? I too saw the lake getting cleaned out by the baiters. In years past I've had some decent midge emerger action during the winter at Desire.
  12. Kcahill Active Member

Renton, WA
    Ratings: +262 / 2
    naw i have a raft with a hard floor i can stand in, or if its warm ill kick around in a tube.

but this was the worst year since i moved here with how fast it got cleaned out, there were people sitting out there for hours, i bet you taking 20-30 fish a day.
  13. rory Go Outside

Maple Leaf, WA
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Green Lake is good to go!
  14. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +82 / 0
    We have had the coldest spell of weather in the past 30 years. Yesterday I starated the day by thawing frozen pipes. Then I went skiing and the weather at 7,000 was almost 30 degrees warmer than the valley floor! Any pond or lake around here has 10 inches of ice on it and the rivers are unfishable because of iceflows or sheetice on the Owyhee. Time to keep the skis waxed for a couple more months.
  15. skyrise Active Member

everett, wa.
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    if i remember, last year we had a cold spell for a time.
    i did not get out then after the thaw.
    so i would think that after this stuff passes it would be a real good time to be on the water ?
    if i had a an above water craft, i would be making plans for trip out. sadly i only have a float tube right now. and more than an hour or two in 40 degree or less water would be tough for me.
  16. Breck Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +75 / 0
    I've got a drift boat and am always looking for someone to come along.
  17. Brennen Busse Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    Bummer, I should have done some research before heading up to RSL today to find it frozen.

Attached Files:

18. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +415 / 0
    I'll take you up on that offer if no one else does! Anything to keep me fishing but get my ass out of sub 40 degree water.