Pseudo Bass SBS

Discussion in 'Fly Tying Step by Step' started by GAT, Dec 1, 2012.

1. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

It's been awhile sense I've shot a step by step so bare with me. Believe it or not I once was paid to do this stuff with a film camera... back when dinosaurs roamed the earth :)

[​IMG]

Materials

Hook: sizes 2-2/0 Spear-It SW07 or similar heavy wire, short shank ring eye hook
    Thread: 6/0 tan
    Lip: FlyLipp
    Lower Body: Minnow Mix Pearl, Ice Dub Shimmer Fringe over white Pseudo Hair
    Upper Body: Peacock Green, Ice Dub Shimmer Fringe over gray olive Pseudo Hair
    Eyes: Adhesive Holographic Super Pearl, size as desired

Step 1: Clamp the hook in the vise, flip upside down and wrap a thread base and apply gel type "super glue". The hook is upside down to install the lip. (this is where a rotary vise comes in handy)

[​IMG]

Step 2: Position the lip over the wraps so it butts up against the eye. Secure with multiple wraps of thread. At this point, you want to make sure the lip is straight on the hook shank. You will be able to adjust the lip when the fly is finished but at this point, it should be installed as straight and right with the world as you can place it.

[​IMG]

Step 3: Center and tie in strands of the pearl colored Shimmer Fringe over the front of the lip. The amount is up to you.

[​IMG]

Step 4: This is where it gets a bit tricky. Tie in the white Pseudo Hair so it is split into a "v".
    At one point, you'll pull all the fibers to the rear of the hook so you need to allow for the hook bend.

[​IMG]

Starting to look a bit messy, isn't it? Wild fibers going every which way. We'll take care of that later.
    If you're a neat freak, you can moisten the fibers so they stay more in line and don't look like Einstein's hair. It gets worse.

Step 5: Rotate the hook in it's upright position. Tie in the peacock green Shimmer Fringe fibers forward, again, the amount is up to you. I like to use enough to cover most of the back of the pattern but it's too damned much work to count the fibers to know how many I'm installing so tie in a bunch.

[​IMG]

I told you it would get worse. Fibers everywhere!

Step 6: Let's add to the mess by tying in the same amount of gray olive Pseudo Hair as you did with the white. However, you don't have to allow for the hook bend so there is no need to split it. Once you've tied in the back fibers, run the thread to the rear and stop at the hook point.

[​IMG]

Step 7: Now we're going to start pulling all the fibers to the rear. Start with the belly fibers. First pull back the white Pseudo Hair, then the pearl Schimmer Fringe. Pull the fibers back as tightly as you can and tie in place.

[​IMG]

Step 8: To form the back, pull the gray olive fibers to the rear first, make a few securing wraps, then pull back the peacock Shimmer Fringe and lock down with additional wraps.

[​IMG]

You'll notice there are short little fibers sticking out here and there. Soon, those will be put in their place and won't be so un kept.

Step 9: Kind'a a silly step for a photo. Whip-finish the thread wraps and trim away the excess thread.

[​IMG]

Now... time to take care of those wild hairs. You can trim away most of the long fibers but to lock the body and the thread wraps in place, heavily coat the body and thread wraps (while avoiding the tail) with a clear sealant such as Hard as Hull Penetrator. I'm not so sure Hard as Nails wouldn't work as well but I bought the stuff so I may as well use it.

Once the body fibers are dry, use a small drop of the gel super glue where you want to install the adhesive eyes and press on the eyes.

Trim the tail as desired.

That's it folks! Easy as can be.

[​IMG]

Notes: Seriously, it does take awhile to get the hang of the number of strands to use. Plus, it is critical that you tie the fibers in the forward position at the same point above and below the hook. Otherwise, the top fibers won't form the nose of the pattern in line with the lower fibers.

[​IMG]

The clear coating does take care of most of the wild hairs. While it dries, it you press down and crazy fibers that are not in line. The Hard as Hull does dry hard so the bodies do end up durable.

I use the short shank hook with the FlyLipps to help give the pattern movement. It works. You can bend the lip to straighten it or bend it up or down depending on how much you want the pattern to dive. The super glue does a good job keeping the lip from coming off the shank but of course, make sure you wrap a thread base before attaching the lip.

I make this same pattern without the lips and it also works. So the FlyLipps are optional for this bait fish imitation. The last large mouth I caught this summer was with this pattern without the lip

This guy:

[​IMG]

... so tie some with and without. Mix and match the hair fiber colors as you desire. You can also use Craft Fur to create the pattern but I've found the Pseudo Hair easier to work with... the fibers are not as stout.

The Shimmer Fringe is also available in a variety of colors. I believe the peacock color of the back for this pattern helps sell the fly to the bass.

Jackd, troutpocket and ScottP like this.
  2. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Thanks GAT. I'll be trying some of these in the spring.

3. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice one GAT. You're experience at the vice and camera show well.

Thanks for adding to the SBS section....hope to see many more of your additions here.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    GAT, very nice. Where do you get the fly lips? My father in law ties a lit do "flures". Fly lures, he says. He uses scraps of plastic packaging.

5. stilly stalker

stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

And thats how Ill be pulling plugs with a spey rod

Kcahill likes this.
  6. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

How long do the eyes last with the super glue you are losing, I rarely get more than an hour or so out of them, maybe i need to try some gorilla glue...

7. GAT

GAT Dumbfounded

Add-on eyes on flies are always a problem. However, I've had very good luck with the eyes staying in place once I stopped relying on the self adhesive factor of the eyes and started using the gel type super glue. I don't know that it makes any difference but I use the Loctite brand.

I think coating the Pseudo Hair fibers with the Hard as Hull makes a huge difference. Some guys attach eyes and coat them along with the body fibers to help keep the eyes in place but the coating adds a milky look to the eyes so I prefer my method.

At one time, our group would tie 8-inch long Zonkers to fish Davis Lake for the large rainbow. The patterns were meant to look like chub. In those days, we used Sportsman's Goop to attach the eyes to the mylar bodies and that did work to keep the eyes in place. So, Goop is an option but harder to work with than the gel type super glue.

Just in case, the bass pattern is easy enough to tie that I tie a lot to replace one if an eye does fall off while fishing.

Gene

8. FinLuver

FinLuver Active Member

"It's been awhile sense I've shot a step by step so bare with me. Believe it or not I once was paid to do this stuff with a film camera... back when dinosaurs roamed the earth :)"

Gene...I thought I recognized your "art work" on a cliff wall up the "S" River gorge...;)