Psyched for SRC, but totally clueless

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jake L, May 31, 2008.

1. Jake L New Member

Sammamish, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    So a few of you may have spotted some of my posts in the general forum, and maybe stillwater, but I thought I'd put one here too. So I am moving to Sammamish in about two weeks and will have lots of time to fish this summer before I again relocate at the end of August. I've never had the chance to fish for SRC, and definitely want to try my luck and pit my river, creek, and lake skills against these salt water fish. I will certainly buy a book or two, I've seen that a member or two of the forum have written some pretty good ones. But I just have a few more basic questions to start with. I've fished primarily in Utah and Arizona so I'm new to the Salt scene and my questions will be super basic.

1) I've found that in lakes, a float tube is indispensable for getting to fish, and away from shore to cast. Are float tubes useful at all in salt water fishing, or do things like strong currents, surf, and other salty things prevent effective float tubing? Would shore wading be an option? Or is something like a Kayak required? :confused:

2) My set up right now is made for freshwater, can I still use it and simply rinse it off afterwards? The rod would be ok right? What about my line and reel? If these would be damaged by the salt, could anyone recommend some good (very:eek:) affordable equipment?

3) I'm sure there are questions I should be asking but don't even know to ask. Educate me. :ray1:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge I look forward to C&Ring some beautiful salty fish.:D
  2. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

A good place to start from the articles section!

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com..._for_Searun_Cutthroat_Trout_by_Greg_Tims.html

Regarding your questions:
    1) Yes, wading is a very good option and easy and safe to do. Fishing from a boat would give you a lot more access and the ability to move, but I wouldn't fish from a tube unless you knew the area very well with the currents during the high / low tides.

A pontoon, same as a tube in my opinion, but a kayak would be a good option. Still wading is the easist option, unless you have access to a good boat!

2) Just use what you've got and rinse the rod, reel, line and flies thoroughly when you're done. Keep the flies that you use in a separate ziploc bag, don't put them back in your flybox with out rinsing and drying them out. A 5wt or 6wt is all that you need!

3) Check out the article above and also check out Les Johnson's book - Fly-Fishing the Coastal Cutthroat Trout. Also do a few searches on the board here and you'll find a ton of info beyond this!

Good luck!
    Bill