Public boat ramp in N. Hood Canal

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by crazysalmon, Jan 5, 2006.

1. crazysalmon

crazysalmon New Member

I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction. I will be visiting my inlaws in Port Townsend around Easter. My father in-law always thinks I'm bored while visiting. I live in the Bellingham area, and thought I might tow my 17' whaler over there. I don't know the area at all, and thought I would try some SRC fishing while visiting. If anyone could point me towards a public ramp close to P.T. or in the N Hood Canal. I would appreciate it. If the fish are cruising the beaches nearby even better yet.:hmmm:

Thanks Dan L

2. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just north of the hood canal bridge on the east end of the bridge is the salsbury launch, it's free, 2 paved launches, has a dock, parking, AND a bathroom. Good access to the shoreline up and down the canal.

Is that a montauk you have?

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Quilcene Bay.

4. ibn

Media:
    Home Page:
    You could launch in port townesend as well, at the boat haven, point hudson or fort warden. They used to have a launch at north beach but I think it's closed. There is a beach launch in lower hadlock, but I wouldn't recomend it w/out 4wd and a high tide.

5. crazysalmon

crazysalmon New Member

Micro Brew I was looking at Quilcene Bay on the maps, and I was hoping there was a ramp it looks fishy. ibn I might have to try the Hood Canal launch as well. I will probably be over for a couple of days. My boat is a 1973 Katama, I believe its the model just before they went to the Montauks. Instead of a center console it has a side console pushed to starboard. Access to the bow is around the port side. Same hull design. Will there be fish around at that time? It is a little early for the north sound.

Thanks for the replies
    p.s. boat name is Spirit:thumb:

6. ibn

Media:
    Home Page:
    If you fish quilcene bay fish along the west beach south of the marina/launch. There should be some cutthroat around. Bring a 5 or 6wt with a clear line and some small clausers. There are some great spots outside of quilcene bay as well, dont be afraid to move around in there.

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Quilcene can be nice since it offers a little more protection than the main canal, and you still have access to the canal. I would concur with ibn on the SRC's. You might also check out Whitney Point / Jackson Cove (both south of the quilcene launch) for SRC's. I have no idea if / what the lauch sites are down there, so I would stick with Quilcene unless someone else chimes in.

8. crazysalmon

crazysalmon New Member

Thanks again guys. I just bought my third fly rod a 6 wt. ticr that I will be using. Haven't got the reel yet, but something like a Teton, lamson, or maybe Ross. Learned in an earlier thread about Rio Outbound intermediate sink clear. Can not wait to put it together and get back on the water. Going on my second year with a fly rod in hand, and i'm hooked. Think I'll put in at Quilcene and slowly head south looking for action.

9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    For a bit closer to Port Townsend area also see the boat launches at Shine and Shine Tidelands Park, and Mats-Mats, Fort Flagler State Park and Mystery Bay State Park, Fort Worden State Park, Port of Port Townsend launches at Point Hudson Marina and the Port of Port Townsend, both of which are right in town and on Port Townsend Bay.

We have a link to Boat launches statewide on our "Agencies" page, off of the Home page of this site.

10. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    many of the ramps that folks are talking about have pulled their floats for the winter months. several of these ramps also have large accumulations of debris which will make it difficult to get a trailer in the water. the boat yard ramp in PT is in good shape with permanent floats and no obstructions. this is as of news year weekend.

11. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    The ramps I mentioned are all fixed ramps, not floats. They are often strewn with debris in the winter.

12. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    sorry to confuse. a float to me is a dock located next to a fixed ramp. allows you to float your boat, tie it up, go park and then leave. all of the ramps with summertime floats have them up on shore for the winter months. the only one i observed that is still in place is at the boat yard in PT. that is also a sheltered marina so that is probably the reason it stays there 12 months out of the year. the amount of debris accumulated on marrowstone island ramps would present quite a challenge for launching. i would assume this is also the reason the floats have been pulled for the winter.

13. crazysalmon

crazysalmon New Member

Sounds like I should bring my company truck since its a 4x4. Some gloves to possibly clear some junk off the ramps. Better than a day of work in my book. I really want to check out the north end of the canal. I'm sure I will be passing some great fishing on the way down there. If the weather doesn't look good for that weekend, probably just bring the waders to check out some nearby beaches. Bob thanks for the heads-up on the boat ramp site under agencies. What a great site the information is endless. My Norwegian brain can't retain it all anyways.