Puget Sound Face to Face Fly Swap and Casting Gathering

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by kelvin, Mar 19, 2010.

1. RRivera Member

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I want in the swap if there is still room. Not much of a cook but can contribute in drinks and dessert as in store bought pies.
  2. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +296 / 0
    who can do casting demos??
  3. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +355 / 1
    I can demo how not to do it. It's a start.
  4. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Mumbles should be able to give some help with that and I don't know the others. I'm just starting the class with Aaron
  5. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,540 / 9
    I'm willing to share what I know. I do not know much. I'll bring a switch rod or two, single handers with airflo 40+ lines and a stripping basket or two. If we are tying I'll bring some tying stuff and a vise too.
  6. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Thanks Mumbles I knew I could count on you and I haven't learned enough yet.
  7. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Mumbles I know nothing so that makes you a seasoned expert
  8. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Leland Miyawaki said he will come after he closes the shop
    so we will have him in early evening to do a casting demo
    and for cigar smoking
  9. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

If I'm not at the Sandy River Spey Clave, I'll come down and join the festivities!

Cigar Bill
  10. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    A very special treat for all of us; Les Johnson and wife Carol have accepted an invitation to our gathering. Hopefully the weather will be great and Les' health will improve so we can all get a chance to sit and talk with them and pick up some of that wisdom. I'm thrilled as I have never had the priveledge of meeting Les and look forward to maybe getting my copy of his book autographed! Hope to see all of you there.
  11. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    That's GREAT
  12. Bob Jones Still truckless now farther away

Kelvin, I haven't figured out my food contribution yet but I'll tie 15 of my favorite Williams Point sand lances or maybe more. thats what we need right. I realized that no one had said what they were tying so I thought I'd be first. Ii'll do it as a regular fly not a tube as I'm not set up for that yet.
  13. Craig Schulz Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....

Gig Harbor, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I'll be tying up a new color combination to a local fly the SRB, I sent Mumbles a few for the charity auction last December, been fishing it pretty hard lately with very good success! I'll have to get mine to you Steve as I will be out of town that day, figures but you have to pay the bills right! PM me a address and I will get them to you in advance.

Thanks,
    Craig
  14. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Those flies were nice. I've replicated a couple of the color combinations for my own use but have not gotten a chance to get them wet yet.
  15. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    I am tying up my Double K Reverse Spider
  16. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Nice tie, Kelvin, as always. I'm still playing around with a variety of Mini-cievers in various colors. They are great flies in all colors so I plan on making up a bunch so everyone can choose their color. Looks like we could have a really good turn-out providing the weather gets good.
  17. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    The date to gathering is approaching quickly...

I was wondering if anyone is willing to demo their favorite or tying technique?
    casting demo? What you got?
    Mumbles is demoing two hand casting
    I will be doing a flat wing baitfish pattern demo
    Leland Miyawaki will be doing two hand casting in the evening .

What you want to share with the community?
    Don’t be shy.
  18. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Mumbles is not talented enough to demonstrate two handed casting...I will, however, be happy to demonstrate the two handed overhead casting technique that I have been using for fishing a switch rod from the beach. Leland can do this type of casting and of course real two handed casting exponentially better than me. For anyone who has not tried a switch rod from the beach, I'll have one or to on hand. Maybe others will bring theirs to let people give them a waggle, water haul and launch. I'm looking forward to seeing/meeting the group.
  19. Richard Torres Active Member

Mill Creek
    Ratings: +79 / 0
    Les and his wife showing up to the gathering?
    Very cool!
    Heck, i'll be happy just sitting there listening to his experiences too.
  20. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Mumbles is far too humble. We will look forward to the event. It's now just under two weeks away and I'm hoping the weather warms up a bit between now and then. Nevertheless, here is the easy way to get to the event: I googled the neighbor's house that is on the main drag as our place is not visible from there. The address is 8604 East Side Dr NE, Tacoma, WA 98422. Never mind the fact that google has the street name incorrect but input it as I show. I tried it from Federal Way and Tacoma and got to the same , correct place. Follow the directions from Tacoma if you are coming from the South or West.

If you are coming from the North or East, get off the 320th St Exit in Federal Way, follow it West to the end, and then turn right on 47th Ave SW (Hoyt Rd). Then drive one half mile to Dash Pt road and pick up the directions from there. It's easier than the 312th ST route on google maps.

Either way, when you get to the address (8604) turn into the narrow driveway there and follow it in and around to the turn around. My family's place is on the water side of the drive, a small white cottage with light blue trim. Please leave the parking spot in front of the garage for Les and Carol Johnson as it will be easier for them to get to the patio from there. If you have difficulties, call me on my cell phone (253) 973-7891. I'll be there setting up. You can drive in and unload anything you have and once the parking is full, I'll direct you to another place where you can park.

I have hamburgers, hot dogs, and buns, plates, napkins, and plastic cuttlery, and I will be making a potato salad. Everyone else should plan on bringing something to contribute. I have a gas BBQ as well along with tables, chairs, etc. Dress warmly as sometimes the wind comes up the bluff. We have three 10X10 pop-up canopies and a raised fire pit also so we should be pretty cozy. Bathroom facilities are also available.

In the event that you need better directions, call me or PM me so I can send them along. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone. Hopefully it will be a good day. See you around noon! :thumb: