Puget Sound Fish Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Michael Dunn, Sep 29, 2007.

1. OK smart guys... the 13 whaler whatever its called... same boat they have been building for 40 years... you know what I'm talking about.

I would have said the 17 but it is out of his price range. That is truly one of the greats. I have been in some nasty weather in both the 13 and the 17 and have nothing but good things to say about them. Probably 300+ days over the past 5 years coaching sailing out of whalers and small inflatables. Family had 13s and 17s. The 13 is a bit low for freeboard and the older ones don't have the deep vee so they're a bit more uncomfortable in big waves and fairly damp but they are stable as all heck. The 17 simply rocks. Not protected at all, but a good flyfishing boat. Lots of open space and they hold their value like gold. If you could, I'd spend the extra dough and shoot for the 17 and just do it once.

2. A few things to think about before buying a boat. Really think about what its going to be used for and what is right for me most likely is not for you.
    Are you going to have children on board? then high free board and stable boat should be important.

Do you plan to fish in the rain? You better have some way to get out of it to dry off for a while.

Do you plan to fish when the water is rough? You will need a boat to handle it.

Are you able to work on engines? If not you better get a new or newer outboard.

Can you deal with the smell of a two stroke? If not you better go with a 4-stroke

How many others will be going out with you? Add up all the body weight and gear and make sure the boat is rated for well over that.

Where do you plan to launch from and how far do you plan to roam? Make sure the boat can carry plenty of fuel and if traveling any distance from launch point or crossing the Sound from say Redondo to Vashon Island the boat can handle things if they get rough fast. Its funny while that a short run because the water is open from a long ways to the North the right wind can build up a lot of chop in a hurry.

Traveling before first light, after dark or in the fog then you will need a compass, running lights and a GPS at a minimum for safety.

What are you towing the boat with? Make sure your truck or car will tow the boat you are looking at. Planning to tow the boat any distance then the boat should be well in the trucks weight ability so you do not strain the transmission unless you have a transmission cooler on the truck.

Are you planning to fish in shallow water? You will need a boat that does not draw much water when fully loaded and that you can deaden the sound on. This is easier to do with glass boats the aluminum. But both can be done with work.

Who is going to be on the boat with you and are they able to pee in front of you and any one else fishing around you? Are you going to be able to pee in front of others? If not a boat with some type of closed head compartment is a must.

Since you are planning to fly fish from you will need to remove as many line grabbers on the boat as possible. If the boat is glass those old holes for screws etc need to be filled in. The less down rigger mountings etc on the boat when you buy the boat the less of this type of work you will need to do.

I could go on but you get the idea of some of what you need to think about.

Me I loved my old 15 ft Arima with its 70 HP 2-stroke till I sold it 3 weeks ago but the new 19 ft Seaswirl with its 4-stroke does everything it could do but better and sipping less fuel and I can head out and fish 5-6 days on 40 gal of gas. Those old two stokes go through fuel pretty quickly and the 15 gallons the Arima carried was always gone at each days end of fishing around Vashon, Three Tree Point and Redono do to the water I like to cover looking for fish. Nice thing about both boats was with their small cabins Amie and I can sleep on them over night and get out at first light much easier that having to wake up then drive down the the boat.

Course no one boat will do every thing and I starting to keep a eye out for a good deal on a Whaler or Livingston not for Puget Sound so much but that really easy to tow down to fish the Shad when they come in or to fish some of our larger lakes for Bass or to take family down to fish smaller lakes using a electric motor. Figure I need something in between the kayaks and the 18 ft boat. There also been talk of picking up a 26" boat just for cruising around the Sound and islands on and of course it would need a dingy. Like I said no one boat is perfect.

3. Origiaonally when I saw HikePat's post I thought he wrote too much. After reading his post it's clear he has fished the sound too. Those Arima's are good boats, That would be my choice. Something to get out of the cold and watch the downriggers. It's not much, but it works. Having a aluminum boat, in my opinion takes more work then a boat desgined to take feul, batteries, a place to get warm, storage, transom for kickers, running lights, a place for the anchor, a driving station, a place to go to the bathroom. What's the difference really when your towing an aluminum boat and glass boat, if they are the same length and your vehicle can handle it. You have to store the same length, you have more weight but it's not you have to carry the boat to the launch. It sounds like Micheal Dunn? (origional poster) lives on Vashon and wants to fish Dolphin point and other local places in the sound.
    My dad and mom have a 12' duraboat with a 9.9 4 stroke at their place on Hood Canal, they will cruise all day in the sun, back and forth, but wouldn't think of getting in it with a decent chop and a cold wind on the water, too cold and uncomfterble, matter of fact I'd be less likely also.
    F.
    HikePat, congrats on the new boat, and can I ask what you fetch for the old one?

I found it................here is the answer!
    http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/438648308.html

4. Quote: OK smart guys... the 13 whaler whatever its called... same boat they have been building for 40 years... you know what I'm talking about.

Just giving you a hard time HendersonBay, Whaler's are great! I also fish out of a friends new 15' and it's is a great boat for two people, easy to trailer/launch. A 17' Montauk (Classic Whaler Lines) or 16' Dauntless (V- bow a bit better in chop) would be a dream boat personally if you could purchase with a Yamaha or Honda. Merc and Whaler are owned by the same parent company i think so Merc's are the only power option. I keep telling my wife we really need 3 boats to cover our needs (desires) but she isn't convinced.

5. Nutty, your going to need a new wife if she doesn't understand the needs of 3 types of boats. But this could have to do with the reason i'm still single, not sure.
    F.

6. I'm a firm believer in the "fleet". Its a fairly simple concept really...

7. Made my decision today and put a deposit down on a 2002 17-1/2' Smokercraft Stealth.
    115 hp 4 stroke Yamaha and a 8hp 4-stroke Yam kicker. Came with two manual Scotty downriggers and a eagle fish finder.
    Nice clean bow area and a Min Kota electric.
    I went a little over my 5K but the wife gave me the blessing.
    I'm pretty happy.:beer2:

8. Congrats! You will have a lot of fun with that setup.

Looking on craigslist today and saw this 13 foot whaler for sale and thought of this post....

Photo cracked me up... looks like a really nice boat.... :rofl:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/448807185.html

9. Thanks.
    I was going to link to the Craigslist ad with the pic but the guy took it off I guess after I committted.

10. Just pulled the new boat home in some pretty crappy rush hour traffic last night.
    Got home after dark. Got the boat in the garage. The wife can still get her car in so life is good.
    Thanks to everyone for their insights. Not great photo's but there she is.
    Cheers :beer2:

11. Nice boat Michael! Congradualtions! Now the tough part - try to stop looking at used boats on Craigslist :)

12. Thanks. I'm actually kinda burned out on looking.

13. Sweeeeet....when are we going fishing