Puget Sound Reality Check

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Steve Knapp, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Steve Knapp

Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Media:
    So.... as some of you know Steve R and myself were headed out to the Sound today for a nice day chasing Cutts and Rezzies. After last nights flyswap and listening to fish stories all night, we were amped to make up a couple new ones of our own.

We started the day with a good omen of two eagles up close and personal, fighting over a fish. We took it as a sign of bountiful quarry and we knew would find plenty of action. The ebb tide was screaming, the rain was holding off, and the weather was almost comfortable.... a perfect February day....until we started fishing.

The Stats: 10 beaches fished, 3 others scouted, uncountable casts, 0 fish to hand, 0 LDR's, 0 strikes, bumps, nudges, follows or looks. Steve said he say a monster jump, but thats currently under review.

Overall a great day on the water, we came back this afternoon optimistic and looking forward to the next journey. Searuns and rezzies may not be considered the most difficult pursuit, but Puget Sound doesn't always give them up easy. I guess this is why I am addicted to the Salt.

Steve

2. Billy Vanosdol

Billy Vanosdol Fly Chuker

I fished the the Narrows Park for about three hours. Saw two other anglers.No fish.
    Third trip out no luck.That's it I'm taking up knitting.

3. FishyBusiness

FishyBusiness Member

Home Page:
    This time of year it's hit and miss, not to mention the proximaty of the full moon. All the good repots as of late make us think we should be doing good too. I didn't so well on three beaches on Tuesday. Better fishing is just around the corner. So I keep telling myself.

4. Matthew Gulbranson

Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Media:
    Fishing the Sound is often like steelheading for me. I know where there is some good water, conditions are decent, but I don't hook/catch that many fish. Some days there fish are there and want to play, but most days they aren't. But it's those times when it's good that always keeps me coming back for more.

5. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Hey Steve.
    I spent about 3 hours fishing beach X today and had my first skunk there... not a single sighting. I did see a couple of guys in a boat working the shoreline, was that you?

6. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    Steve and Steve.

Good to hear you two gave it a shot.

I was going to head out too but got my priorities mixed up and instead finished some chores that needed to get done,
    and I feel better now.

7. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I'm thinking Tuesday, my next day off. Two Tuesdays ago, I cast over small rezzies. Last week, they were replaced by bigger fish, some that I would call coho, let alone rezzies or even silvers. Two days from now the tide is bigger and later and I'm very curious as to what the fishing will be like. It's tough with a six hour window and 30-45 minutes of actual casting my popper to feeding fish and not blindcasting. If I draw a blank it will be my reality check.

Leland.

8. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Mr. Knapp summed it up. It was a perfect day. No Runs, No Hits, No Errors. As I tell my kids that is why they call it fishing and not catching. We will give it a try again next week.

9. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Puget sound can pitch shutouts, no hitters and perfect games.

Leland.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Indeed! It will occassionally even let you hit for the cycle, score a double, and hit a grand slam. But... watch out for the dreaded suicide squeeze!

11. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

The sea-run cutthroat swap last night got me pumped to go out today since it has been over 3 months since I have chased after them. The fishing was great as many nice sized fish(15 to 17 inches) were landed. Steve Rohrbach's pencil sand lance skater pattern provided a lot of top water action and hookups. When the top water action slowed down, I went subsurface with a O/W tube clouser minnow and continued to hookup with more fish. My camera wasn't working so you will just have to believe me! It was a fun day of hunt and seek to find locations where there were fish.

Note: Usual prime sea-run cutthroat locations did not hold fish. Areas near stream mouths were where the sea-run cutthroat were hanging out.

Roger

12. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Ah yes, fun stuff Nick.

Leland.

13. Lance

Lance workin' on it

Really, do we need to say beach X??? Why not just say where you were really fishing bandy? It's the sound, is it really worth keeping that much of a secret. Personally I would enjoy seeing more folks out fishing the water I'm at on the beaches and it is probably more productive for everyone who fishes puget sound for src. Sharing info with one another is a much better way of doing things!

14. Tool Fly

Tool Fly Member

Sorry there Lance, but if Freestone doesn't want to share that's his choice. He found the beach, and maybe it's not quite as common a find as others. He's earned it, and you haven't. And with miles on the road and time in fly shops and on Google Earth, I hope you find your own little sanctuary. For all the people who post on here, there are HUNDREDS more who never make a peep that are just looking for a handout. Here's one: I fished the shit out of Lincoln Park tonight using a Squimp and a black Knudsen spider without a bump. One jumper spied toward dusk on a strong flood tide. I saw a seal, and Mother of All (likely a male--go figure) sea lion out hunting my water. I heard and saw bald eagles. I talked to a wonderful old man who was back into fly fishing after a 15 year hiatus and I hope I see him out on the water again.

Go fish. Go find. Nobody is going to put the X on the map for you. At least not beyond the major parks like Lincoln. And I likely pissed someone off just sharing that.

Good luck to you!

Toolio

15. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

It seems to me that one of the great things about fishing a Puget Sound beach this time of year is solitude. If I go to an isolated beach and don't see anyone else, why should I say anything? Others may know of it but I was there alone on that day and tide.

Leland.

16. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sharing spots in a public forum is never a good way of doing things.

17. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I hit some nice big fat rezzies on Mark's Squimp on Beach XYZ right after the tide turned in the morning
    What a great swap the night before, probably could not stop talking about it
    always nice to get out
    always nicer to catch some

18. Dale Dennis

Dale Dennis Formally Double-D

Not revealing a beach on a successful outing just adds to the mystique and challenge of Coastal Cutthroat fishing and I agree.
    Thanks to Steve K. and Steve R. and Kelvin for the inspiring report.

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

The seals/lions were doing well yesterday, off the point at a secret beach in west seattle.

20. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    My reality check was fishing three days in a row last week with one cutthroat to hand. That's the way it is this time of year. Hopefully I will find some coho around one of these days in the next month or two to as well. Now that I look at the tides and read that guys ran out after the historic fly swap, what am I doing sitting here???? To heck with the income taxes I was going to finish up, I'm outa here! There's a hell of an ebbtide today!