Pump for Pontoon Boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by sopuchan, Jun 29, 2006.

1. sopuchan

sopuchan New Member

Fellas,

Just got a new pontoon boat and am looking for an inexpensive electric pump and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've found a listing for a LVM pump, but the price on that is pretty steep. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    In my limited experience, battery or car-battery powered pumps are slow and simply not powerful enough to completely fill and top off most inflatables.

I've been exploring a highly-rated hand pump called K-Pump that offers high air volumes and high pressure. Chris has several models available for tryout in the Gear Program (http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=30569) and you can check out the manufacturer's site at http://www.k-pump.com

The beauty of a hand pump is that you can bring it along with you on the water to adjust or reinflate as needed.

K

3. Dipsnort

Dipsnort New Member

You might also consider a large volume double-action hand pump. Walmart sells one for about $12 that will blow up those pontoons in a hurry.

4. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    the LVM is the most amazing pump i have ever had. it will take a 9' tube to full in about 3 minutes. takes me about 7 minutes to inflate my 12' x 19" cat tubes. once you use one you won't dispute the cost. buy it, you won't regret the investment.

5. Kim Ferris

Kim Ferris left-handed sort of way

actually - i use 2 pumps...one of those cheap electric pumps that won't top off the pontoons, but puts lots of air in them (i had to build an adapter), and also a hand pump to top the pontoons off. one part of me just wanted to have a better electric pump, but the other part wanted a part to take along on the trip. it's a compromise, but i have my take-a-long and the car pump does the hard part of filling.

k

6. gearhead

gearhead Active Member

Ditto, what Rocket science stated. i do the same thing. if you don't have one already, buy a two way hand pump. also buy a cheap coleman electric pump($14.00). this will inflate your toons to 80 percent or so, and then as rocket stated, top off the toons with your hand pump. your hand pump should have plenty of adaptors, that u can use as well with the electric pump. saves the arms, let me tell you. nothing worse than spending time in the sun pumping up one of those damn things, hot, sweating and being attacked by bugs. best move i ever made, and didnt have to spend 100 plus on an expensive pump. just a tip. carry that had pump with you on your toon. you never know when you will need it. often, if your toon is filled on a hot afternoon, and then placed in the water, it will loose pressure, nice to have a pump with you should this happen. have fun.

7. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    If you're on a budget, ditto what rocketscience and gearhead said. If you're not on a budget, the itty bitty LVM pumps are amazing.

8. shawn k

shawn k Member

lvm all the way it inflates my 14 ft super duper puma in 3 to 4 minutes

9. luv2fly2

luv2fly2 Active Member

my son got the big k-pump for fathers day. cant wait to try it. they are very spendy, like $165. mike w

10. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    LVM and your choice of a manual pump to top it off is the way to go if you've got the scratch. The LVM is tiny, yet pushes a lot of air quickly. I opted for the K-pump in gear program as it's bullet proof and pushes air effortlessly as compared with double chambers and the like.

11. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    actually the small single stage k-pump retails for about seventybucks. great for packing along and topping off. the two stage pumps ARE expensive. check out NRSWEB as one source.

12. Johnnyb

Johnnyb Guest

k-pump k-pump k-pump...it is simple and effective and does not rely on anything but moderate body power. I have no desire to use anything else.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    K pumps are the way to go if you want non electric pumps. But there are powered inflatable pumps that work great (and will fill up big boats, including 16-18 catarafts to full inflation within minutes). NRS sells some very nice ones. Key though is to keep your car running while you're pumping up. A good pump will drain your battery in minutes (I found that out first hand lol). But the 110volt models are even better (yet most of the really good electric pumps will run you $100+).

14. Voyagertwelve

Voyagertwelve Member

Dewalt DC-500 Cordless vacuum inflates and deflates my 9' toon in less than a minute per tube and I bring it up to pressure and top it off on the river with a K-pump K-40. I havent tried it on my new 16x24 toon but will this weekend. and will pick up a K-400 for manual for that. The dual piston pump of the new K-pumps is awesome.

15. Rory McMahon

Rory McMahon Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    from what ive heard, the K-pumps are the best out there.

16. shawn k

shawn k Member

Key though is to keep your car running while you're pumping up. A good pump will drain your battery in minutes (I found that out first hand lol). But the 110volt models are even better (yet most of the really good electric pumps will run you $100+).[/QUOTE]

if you run your car with an lvm pump you will fry your pump and charging system.

17. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

if you run your car with an lvm pump you will fry your pump and charging system.[/QUOTE]

What do you think about this claim there Jerry?

18. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    always pays to read the enclosed directions! LVM clearly states, do not use with your engine running. in the short time it takes to do the inflation with an LVM, you would have to have a serious battery problem for it to go flat in the few minutes you are using it with the pump.

19. In_too_deep

In_too_deep Member

Media:
    I have run the LVM for a week on three pontoon boats off a stand alone car battery (80 AH) without recharging. The boats were inflated every day, sometimes twice. The battery was fine after the week, over 25 inflates. If you drain the battery in minutes, something is wrong.

20. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Depends on the boats you're filling In Too Deep. I'm filling 16-18' catarafts, so takes more then a bit to fill. Not sure why you're filling your boats once to twice a day. Were you constantly ripping them down and transporting? Must not, since you weren't running your vehicle. Or are you running the cheaper boats made my outcast, creek company etc? Those boats are notorious for losing air (my whitewater boats will hold air for weeks without a refill, even my steelheader boats hold air longer then a day without having to refill, unless I have severe weather changes from hot to cold, and that's simply a density of air issue).

Onto the frying your battery part. Hmmmmm, almost 20 years of using them and no frying of my electronics yet (since these pumps are MADE for clamping to your battery). I've used them more then most on here will ever use them (since I used them a lot when I whitewatered professionally). We would inflate 4-6 fullsized inflatables (as in 16'+ catarafts and 14'+ rafts) and never burned up a vehicle (and one of the vehicles I still own and have used for this duty for almost 15 or so years, and still has ALL of it's original electronics (except battery, it died a year after it's life expectency) that I had in it when I bought the Blazer.

But, will add to what GT said, my original pumps didn't have any disclaimers with it (since I bought it around 20 years ago). In fact, it even specified to leave the truck running while using it. Maybe why it would actually FILL a tube full in a matter of minutes (and I'm not talking the little boats most of you guys are using, I'm talking big catarafts and rafts). It wasn't a high volume pump either, but know it would drain ANY battery fast. May have been the old style electronics in it. The pump did die about 3 years ago though, so used my backup pump to fill the boats since (Trevor on the board has it now). You could tell though with the pump that it would run better with the motor running (and yes, some electronics will run better if engine is running, not with the draw off the battery alone).

But will say again. I must be pleasantly blessed. I know I've been using inflatables much longer then most on this board, and more frequently. Have yet to have a problem with the pumps killing my vehicles (unless I can blame a blown ring and pinion on my LVM pump lol).