Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Purdy report

6K views 55 replies 25 participants last post by  Stonefish 
#1 ·
I have fished Purdy several time in recent weeks. There are some really nice cutthroat feeding but I have been relatively ineffective in hooking them. They are chasing something voraciously which I doubt are small chum fry. Sunday, a number of flyfishers came and went and none were very successful. I have fished through various tide changes without much success. A couple of nice fish have come to a Miyawaki popper but did not manage to hook themselves. One guy told me he got some fish on Saturday on a Flatwing pattern. I am sure that Roger S. would do really well.

#36 ·
Yup. What Dime said.

There was a time when I thought similarly to some of you, figuring since everyone and their brother knew of these places that it was fine to name them.
I was wrong. People may know of these places, but most are far too lazy to go out and fish until they hear its hot. Then suddenly these well known places go from a few guys here and there enjoying some quality fishing and keeping fairly quiet about it to a complete zoo of people who never would have gotten off their couch if they hadn't read how hot the fishing was all over the internet.

I learned my lesson and will never repeat the mistake. Believe me, if you stick around long enough it will eventually happen to you too. But then again maybe that sort of thing just wouldn't bother you.

#41 ·
some people believe the internet has no impact or the same impact as newspapers used to... and people who live in the reality based world know the internet has a huge impact on crowding. of course, no one can tell you not to post specifics and it is your right to post whatever you want.

roger stephens reports with no specific locations are the best on this board. passing along techniques, tactics, and general area information are the most interesting pieces of reports imo.

and any report posting (regardless of specifics) has a bit of ego involved.

thank god i have a boat.

#42 ·
It amazes me that there are people who think that discussing such details over the internet is a good thing.

Dime has not once given me a location to fish. Never. Yet I have learned an immense amount from his posts. I am much more grateful for the time he, and several key others, have taken to post up details about techniques, flies, lessons learned, beach structure to look for, currents/tides etc than I could ever be if he just said "Go stand here and fish".

Its sad that people want a handout, instead of appreciating the amazing resource this place is, and putting that to work.

#46 ·
Purdy is far from secret. I've been fishing it the better part of 22 years. BUT, there are MUCH better places to fish on the KP. God, I thought I posted this before, must've been another thread. But there are a ton of places that are much better to fish. But, alas, they're all private. Benefits of being a friendly UPS driver who takes care of his customers.......private beach rights. ;) In fact, working on a big right of way for use for PHWFF. It's a doozy if I can get it.

#47 ·
Oh, I should add before someone jumps in. Yes, reports on here do overload a spot. BUT, with any saltwater and anadromenous stream, what was hot yesterday probably won't be hot today. Why you never see me posting reports or pics up, unless it's a PHWFF trip. :)

#49 ·
Information yearns to be free. Anyone wishing otherwise is just putting themselves up for frustration when the "secret" eventually come out.

We are lucky with the number of places to fish in the northwest. Just enjoy and share, and if the word is out and it does get crowded, its just an opportunity to explore new ground!

#50 ·
Information yearns to be free. Anyone wishing otherwise is just putting themselves up for frustration when the "secret" eventually come out.

We are lucky with the number of places to fish in the northwest. Just enjoy and share, and if the word is out and it does get crowded, its just an opportunity to explore new ground!
says the guy who doesn't post reports ;)

#51 ·
I'm new to fly fishing and so have nothing to report yet. But I am working on a GPS-enabled fly, which also has water temperature sensor and current flow meter, and will be posting the exact info of every hookup when I do get fish. And use for you, I'll even put in driving directions to the spot. :p

#52 ·
I'm new to fly fishing and so have nothing to report yet. But I am working on a GPS-enabled fly, which also has water temperature sensor and current flow meter, and will be posting the exact info of every hookup when I do get fish. And use for you, I'll even put in driving directions to the spot. :p
Unfortunately, our civilian GPS isn't quite open all the way yet I do believe. So you can get that GPS fly going (I'll supply the 12 wt to toss that bad boy), but when you go back, you could be 3 feet off. That could cause a LOT of snags. ;)

#54 ·

Good luck. Just don't expect to make many angler friends as you crusade to out their favorite fishing spots over the Internet. With knowledge comes responsibility, both to your fellow anglers and to the integrity of our limited natural resources. If you stick with saltwater fly fishing more than a season or two you will come to appreciate this more and more.

#56 ·
If someone feels they need to name the beach they fished in a report, by all means do so. Hopefully over time they'll learn like many others have that doing so doesn't benefit our saltwater resources.

I for one really like a well written report mentioning just the MA fished with details regarding tides, flies or lines used etc versus a report that someone fished beach x. Quite a few very knowledge saltwater forum members do so and their reports are great reads. They even post pictures, which I find is far from the ego stroking claimed earlier in this thread.

Going and finding another place to fish if another place gets crowded may seem easy. Considering the amount of shoreline Puget Sound has to offer, very little of it has public access. While info may yearn to be free, just wait a few months to see the effect. Someone will post a report about getting their humpy on at a specific beach. A week later that same person will be on here bitching about the crowds. You can book it.

A little over a month before thing get rolling. Good luck to everyone this summer on the beaches. Hope to see some familiar faces out there again this summer.
SF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.